Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Yep same, the latest set with Sabine, Ahsoka and Vader was :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Lichtenstein posted:

I've been on pretty much a summer break from this beautiful dead gay game, but man, I am so excited about new Dengar and Jabba potentially breathing new life into Scum's early dogshit sets.

I'm running two Scum* decks right now that are working beautifully.

Deck 1 is based off abusing Missions.

Merciless Plans x2
Mission Command x2
Schemes and Intrigues x2
No Disintegrations x2
Hunter For Hire x2

Deck 2 is based off trying to make Out of the Mists & set work.

The Slave Trade x2
Tatooine Crash x2
The Hunter 's Flight x2
Out of the Mists x2
Jabba's Reach x2

With the amount of capture, flipping Jabba's reach can lead to you having 8-10 reserve value.

Despite Scum not getting a lot of synergy in their recent sets, there's still some cool ideas they've come up with. It's not quite as flashy as the new Sith stuff or as straight up brutal as the last year of Navy sets but it's not in a bad place right now. I'd say it's still in a better place than Rebel and Smugglers are compared to Jedi.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Finally got around to trying out Engineering the Future in my Rebel Characters deck. It's pretty great! The A-A5 Heavy Speeder Truck was pretty awesome at digging my way out of the deluge of focus tokens my friend's Scum deck was throwing at me. I may try to put Sabine in, but I don't think she has enough synergy with the rest of the deck:

1x Commando Raid
2x Engineering the Future
2x Hope of Rebellion
2x Mission to Talay
2x Planning the Attack
1x Spark of Rebellion

Speaking of Sabine, I threw her into my stupid Fate Card deck. Not entirely happy with it, but I like having Sabine and Kanan around. Also nice to play a working tri-sphere deck. Maybe I'll try to put in Strike Team Assemble:

1x Spark of Rebellion
2x Commando Operations
2x Explosives Artist
2x Against All Odds
2x Fortune and Fate
1x Hit And Run

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/19/sparking-a-rebellion/

Sometimes I just cant understand the choices FFG makes putting clearly Rebel cards in other factions.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

alg posted:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/9/19/sparking-a-rebellion/

Sometimes I just cant understand the choices FFG makes putting clearly Rebel cards in other factions.

Actually I probably run more enhancements in my Jedi deck than I do in my Rebel one. That said it feels like this Rebels stuff is kind of insular among itself, which is cool that by the end there could be a viable Rebels themed lightside deck, but at the same time it's making each individual set feel out of place and a bit uninteresting.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
It's been awhile since I played, what does the influence keyword do?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

PJOmega posted:

It's been awhile since I played, what does the influence keyword do?

The resource counts for any affiliation.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Game not so dead yet, at least we finally got the last pack previewed and the Death Star as an actual unit is hilarious.

The real gem of the preview is that Sith enhancement that gives a gun, a DC, and can be brought back from the discard pile.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I remember getting the ANH expansion for the Decipher CCG. Getting the Death Star card was so magical and the highlight of opening my box.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

Game not so dead yet, at least we finally got the last pack previewed and the Death Star as an actual unit is hilarious.

The real gem of the preview is that Sith enhancement that gives a gun, a DC, and can be brought back from the discard pile.

I have to build a deck that deploys the Death Star now. It will probably be awful otherwise, but it's the Death Star!

Finster Dexter posted:

I remember getting the ANH expansion for the Decipher CCG. Getting the Death Star card was so magical and the highlight of opening my box.

I only ever bought a few packs, but I remember getting the Falcon and the Death Star in them, which made my week. I've been on a nostalgia trip playing this online recently, too.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Taran_Wanderer posted:

I have to build a deck that deploys the Death Star now. It will probably be awful otherwise, but it's the Death Star!

I only ever bought a few packs, but I remember getting the Falcon and the Death Star in them, which made my week. I've been on a nostalgia trip playing this online recently, too.

Trying to play Commence Primary Ignition and Trench Run in that game was hilariously mathy for a card game. Sadly my friend that got into the game out here in Taiwan is shipping himself and his cards out of town and probably back to his Canadian homeland so I won't have anyone to play with. That game has the best interactions when you build complimentary deck types.

I still have no clue how Brainiac actually works in that game either.

In THIS game however, it seems like that Nien Numb set might be quite good. That objective is super strong and giving your ships shielding and possibly elite is very helpful. Edge battles are still a challenge though.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 22, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/2/3/allies-of-necessity/

New Force Pack cycle is introducing new Affiliation cards that restrict deck building in exchange for benefits. I really wonder why this isn't a full boxed expansion.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

jivjov posted:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/2/3/allies-of-necessity/

New Force Pack cycle is introducing new Affiliation cards that restrict deck building in exchange for benefits. I really wonder why this isn't a full boxed expansion.

You know why...

*glances nervously at Star Wars Destiny*

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Finster Dexter posted:

You know why...

*glances nervously at Star Wars Destiny*

It's not like they haven't had multiple Star Wars product lines before now.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
I've talked to alot of my local players and most think Destiny is the finale nail in the coffin. Why pay to support two Star Wars cards games when one is the clear winner were profit is concerned.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

frgildan posted:

I've talked to alot of my local players and most think Destiny is the finale nail in the coffin. Why pay to support two Star Wars cards games when one is the clear winner were profit is concerned.

They're completely different business models though...destiny is random packed, the LCG is buy-one-and-done.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

I think if they were going to kill off SW LCG they would have done it before announcing this new cycle. They've said that they think the product lines are distinct I guess we'll find out if that's true as the game contnues onward. Personally I have no interest in picking up Destiny and hope that SW LCG continues. I guess at the end of the day, it's the same as always with Star Wars LCG which is that as long as it is profitable then there's no reason not to keep making it.

At this point I feel like there's this vocal group of people who want a different SW LCG to be printed that doesn't use the objective pod system and are complaining about how SW:LCG is going to die, until it finally does and then they'll be like "Well, what do you expect with that awful pod system. See, I told you that was a terrible system." It's clear we're not as high priority as Netrunner or aGoT, or Destiny as it's the new hotness, but I think SW is still doing better than it appears because they've announced another cycle. Not getting another box isn't a big deal because they're just putting them out as needed now, and I'd rather see one at the middle/end of this cycle that builds on the theme rather than at the beginning when a lot of the stuff would probably be dismissed for not fitting into the current meta.

New expansion stuff is nice, I think we're going to see a box set maybe 1/2 through or at the end that adds more support for all the themes we're going to see in Alliance affiliation cards.

I think the layouts of the affiliations is quite interesting in the numbers of specific objectives they require. Seems like they'll mesh well with the existing Rebels stuff hard to say how effective this stuff will be in the greater cardpool, I'm a little worried that it might only be good within it's own(the objective in this cycle are only good with other objectives in this cycle). Battle of Endor is still a card that I just sigh looking at for it's terrible design.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 3, 2017

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
I still love playing them game but I've been finding it harder and harder to find players. I try to bring fun decks to my shops lcg night but it's mostly made up of AGOT and Netrunner. I've play Destiny with people and tried to get them interested but no one's bit yet. The sad part is a year or so ago we had a really good Star Wars meta.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Second pack in the cycle announced. https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/4/12/swc-aggressive-negotiations/

I'm getting less interested in this cycle because it occurs to me that these Alliance affiliations are really not that great because they don't have influence. A lot of people are talking about using Looking for Droids with them and that just sounds like garbage to me.

Mono-faction decks are super good right now, and the Specter deck even with all it's influence, still runs into faction issues not to mention all the cards smashed together just aren't that good.

The faction cards are looking really boring. The Sith+Scum one is just 2 resources. That's a terrible trade-off for having to build your deck in inefficient ways.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah I'm not too into them, but those droids look cool. Kinda sad that 3HP is now the standard even for droids.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

alg posted:

Yeah I'm not too into them, but those droids look cool. Kinda sad that 3HP is now the standard even for droids.

Blame Jedi and their never ending supply of unit damage.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
I would like to state for the record that I love that Chopper's card is named ""

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

This was a good set for well named cards.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I have the chance to get a collection of the core game, Force packs through the Rogue Squadron cycle, and four deluxe boxes for super duper cheap. I bounced hard off of this game years ago after coming down from an MTG high (a habit I kicked years ago), but after looking into it further and developing a better understanding of how it plays, the game looks way, way more interesting to me now.

Would it be worth building up a collection to keep around to play with one or two friends who might also be into it? I've only really looked at the card up through Balance of the Force so I don't really know what directions the designers took the game after that.

I know Destiny is sort of the new hotness but collectible games are anathema to me. I wouldn't mind trying to build up a scene around this game around me, but how much of an uphill battle would I have if other LCGs haven't really taken off in my local area?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I have the chance to get a collection of the core game, Force packs through the Rogue Squadron cycle, and four deluxe boxes for super duper cheap. I bounced hard off of this game years ago after coming down from an MTG high (a habit I kicked years ago), but after looking into it further and developing a better understanding of how it plays, the game looks way, way more interesting to me now.

Would it be worth building up a collection to keep around to play with one or two friends who might also be into it? I've only really looked at the card up through Balance of the Force so I don't really know what directions the designers took the game after that.

I know Destiny is sort of the new hotness but collectible games are anathema to me. I wouldn't mind trying to build up a scene around this game around me, but how much of an uphill battle would I have if other LCGs haven't really taken off in my local area?

Well if you can get a few friends into the game then that's all you really need. Sometimes you're a slave to what you play based on whatever is popular in your area, but I've had a little group of just 3 of us playing SW LCG for a few years now and it's been alright.

It can be a bit hard to get anyone into an LCG coming in after a few years of expansions. It's an unfortunate problem that Magic has a lot of answers to but LCGs haven't dealt with yet.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

PaybackJack posted:

... I've had a little group of just 3 of us playing SW LCG for a few years now and it's been alright.

This is kind of what happened in my store with Netrunner and Game of Thrones. There's a core group of maybe four to six people for each game that come out regularly, of which maybe four of them will regularly attend OP kits (in both cases one of those folks is a store employee).

I guess I'll do the semi-sensible thing and start with the core box and see if my friends are interested and go from there.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

This is kind of what happened in my store with Netrunner and Game of Thrones. There's a core group of maybe four to six people for each game that come out regularly, of which maybe four of them will regularly attend OP kits (in both cases one of those folks is a store employee).

I guess I'll do the semi-sensible thing and start with the core box and see if my friends are interested and go from there.

If you decide you love it, I see a lot of people dumping their SW LCG lots online because they've replaced it with Destiny instead.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

New Article up with the World Champ talking about his deck and previewing a deck based on the first pack of the new cycle.

I'm still not feeling these Alliance cards. They're coming off way to situational and insular almost like the Spectre stuff but with less potential awesomeness. Aphra seems way overcosted for what she does and not having Elite on a 4 cost character? Come on guys, her ability alone ensures she'll be locked down for 2 turns. You don't even get to keep the droid either? Not hyped at all for this new cycle.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I was going through my card binders and filing away the latest force pack when I flipped back to the early pages of the first Core set and first couple of expansion cycles...it's so strange to thing that this game predates the Disney canon reset, and Episode VII/R1/Rebels.

There's an early Navy card that mentions the Death Star being completed at Despayre, for example.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Not dead yet...

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/10/17/trust-in-the-force/

That's a pretty boring pod though.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I'm looking for some decent match-ups against a Scum capture-heavy deck. I currently own 2x Core, 2x Edge of Darkness, and 1x Between the Shadows, but I have immediate access to the other deluxe boxes and all the packs through the Endor cycle. My friend's deck currently looks like the following:

2x Jabba's Reach
2x The Tatooine Crash
2x Carbonite Transport
2x “No Disintegrations”
1x Masterful Manipulation
1x The Hunters

I've had decent success with a Luke, Han, Chewie, Falcon, Secret of Yavin 4 deck, but I'm kind of bored with it. I've been experimenting with a couple of versions of the following, for fun:

2x The Rebel Fleet
2x Decoy at Dantooine
1x Hit and Run
2x Trust Me
1x Alderaan's Promise
1x Commando Raid
1x Calling In Favors

So far I really love Talon Karrde's set for early- or mid-game bomb turns and the Dirty Secrets enhancement to blank an important objective (blowing up an objective by blanking out The Hunters is pretty satisfying). Decoy at Dantooine has done its job slowing the game down to make it easier for me to catch up in units compared to the scum deck which just shits out units like nothing. Lando has been somewhat underwhelming and Judder Page, while fun (the deck started as an exercise in getting as many Fate cards in as possible for his set), hasn't really done much for me.

My friend really, really loves her capture-heavy Scum deck and probably won't be changing it up any time soon, so I'm looking to make a deck that is fun and interactive against it. It's a pretty tough deck to match up against since it puts out so many units, captures my best cards, and ends up with massive reserve sizes for edge battles along with Reversal of Fortune. Anyone have any suggestions?

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
As someone who loooooves their monoscum capture deck, I still always hate playing against Jedi. It's difficult to capture stuff from the board rather than milling from their deck with Tattooine Crash or Slave Trade, so the undercosted, absurd Jedi dudes like Yoda (take your pick) or Luke still have impact on the board. You can easily control the balance of the force, as Scum has few ways to do that consistently against Jedi, which is probably the best faction for it. Don't have an exact decklist, but anything with May the Force Be With You and The Survivors is a giant pain.

There's also the tricksy Rebel/Smugglers "please capture my dudes" archetype. My deck looks like this:

1x Fleeing the Empire
1x Along the Gamor Run
2x Planning the Rescue
2x Feigning Captivity
2x Hope of Rebellion
2x Planning the Attack

You have a lot of cards that rescue cards, put captured units into play, are stronger the more captured cards they have, etc. Good resource base too, and it's a ton of fun to play. It's pretty fiddly, though, but this whole game is so it's kinda par for the course. Along the Gamor Run will help immensely for holding the force and is just a great pod in any deck. You have some Leader synergy too with Dodonna, Leia, and Cracken.

Try one of these out and let us know how it goes.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Both of them sound really fun, but especially the Rebel/Smugglers capture deck! I was tinkering around with some of those sets while looking for fun, interactive ones, but I very much appreciate the list. I'll definitely give it a shot next time I get to play.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Wish I lived in France. They keep getting the new pack a month ahead of the rest of the world.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

Well it's now officially dead.https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/1/10/promise-of-power-1/

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

drat shame. This was my favorite LCG and this last cycle has been a bit disappointing because it's really not been very good for the dark side.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Man...I'm sorry to see it go...but I haven't even gotten it to the table in over a year.

Maybe now that it's a finished product, I can convince a friend or two to do some closed deckbuilding

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
My favorite card game. Huge bummer, I was hoping they would do a new core set for the new films a la X Wing, but this makes a lot more sense. With Destiny and the off timing of the LCG with the films, this was bound to happen.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

While I liked seeing a bunch of Rogue One stuff this cycle, the split faction stuff has been pretty miss for the Dark Side. The mechanic itself inherently has favored the light side due to them having a handful of objectives with influence. These last two packs have been fairly broad as well in terms of content so it does feel like they've just been tossing in the ideas that didn't fit into a theme into the end of this cycle.

This cycle is all about cross affiliation stuff, now here's a Navy Trooper pod that you'd never use with anything other than more Navy Trooper pods. I would have actually liked to see the DS stuff be about their factions not getting along so instead of "Allies of Necessity" you had "We Don't Need Their Scum" which gave benefits for controlling different affiliation units but having them not be participating at the same time.

I'm hoping that some fans pick this up like they did the only Decipher game and we get some people making new cards via a player committee.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

The best card game I've ever played. Sad to see it go, but Arkham LCG really is excellent and it will be nice having a complete set of SWLCG.

• Locked thread