Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So I've played a grand total of two times so far and I'm already madly in love with this game. I have heard that to have a complete playset of objectives, two core sets are required. How vital is being able to use two of of the same objective pods when deck building? I'd rather avoid dropping $40 on a duplicate of something I already have, especially with more expansions and whatnot on the way, but if double-objectives is the way to go, competitively speaking, then I may have to make the investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dominion posted:

Well in other CCGs you generally try to max out copies of important cards in your deck. Here you do that by maxing out the objective by adding 2 copies. So if you want two copies of Luke in your deck instead of one, you need to Cores.

Don't think of it as a duplicate of a game you already have. Think of it as the REST of a game you have the intro box for.

Oh I know the mentality behind it, I just didn't know how important having duplicates was in this particular game. The pre-built decks seem to run pretty well without having any duplicates.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Any word on exactly when to expect the first Hoth pack? I know "Q1 2013", but I haven't heard of anything nailing it down more concretely.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

LordLobo posted:

do note - CoolStuffInc.com has the base sets for $20 today

Red Robin Hood posted:

Pre-orders are on sale as well as the core game: http://www.coolstuffinc.com/page/1061

Many thanks to you both; even with shipping costs, $25.44 is cheaper than I could have gotten a core set on Amazon for.

EDIT: Just played another round with my wife, and holy hell, Home One owns bones.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 30, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
It's really gonna come down to increasing the card pool, which of course won't happen for a few more months. The module based deck building has the side effect of giving fewer options overall which makes decks constructed solely from the core set a big homogenized. Imperial Navy is really strong, Rebels are more luck based. Once the rebels get some overall stronger objective sets, you can build a deck for them that's less reliant on pulling a specific combo.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Frohike999 posted:

In case you haven't seen it, they've announced the first deluxe expansion for the game, Edge of Darkness

Looks like they're only including one copy of each objective, so double-purchases will be needed if you want a complete playset of the objectives in there.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

GrandpaPants posted:

Is it normal for deluxe expansions to be announced before the first cycle expansion has been released? I was also kind of under the impression that deluxe expansions add new rules or a new dimension or something, but I don't see much of that. It's still early, though, but a hint of something would have whet some appetites.

Well the first expansion is just fleshing out the 2 affiliations that were only previewed in the Core set. Its the second expansion that's gonna add new ruls and stuff (the light-side co-op vs one giant dark side expansion)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, my FLGS got word that distributors would be receiving the Force Pack this week, and it'll be in-store next week.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Got the chance to play around with the 1st Force Pack a bit the other day. The empire definitely has the advantage with Hoth stuff until the next FP or two is out. I like the general concept, but it's gonna be a tough balancing act...if they release too much Hoth stuff, there's gonna be a really overpowering meta game for controlling Hoth, but not enough Hoth stuff and a lot of card effects won't do squat.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SERPUS posted:

I haven't played this game much, maybe around 10 total matches with the Core Set back in December/January. I picked up Desolation of Hoth last month, but hadn't even cracked it open until tonight. All of the sudden I feel really amazed how powerful the new Rebel Alliance objective sets are. It seems like they absolutely outclass the Core objectives, and I'm already trying to figure out with three sets from the Core Set that I'm going to cut. My LGS has Saturday afternoon playtimes (shared with Netrunner which I also play), and I'd really like to get this deck going.

The Imperial Navy Hoth objectives just don't feel as robust to me though. Maybe I'm missing something though. Any quick thoughts or opinions from you all who've been playing with this since last month?

A big thing with the Hoth packs is that they really won't come into their own until more Hoth objectives exist (i.e. When the next Force Pack or two come out). It really feels to me like the lDark side is more affected by this than the Light. I wouldn't be surprised if next pack has some weaker Light Side objectives and the Dark Side's are stronger.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm really excited for the big boxed expansion for Scum/Villainy and Smuggles/Spies. From what little we've seen so far, it really looks like they'll have some fun play options.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jerc Jast posted:

I just picked this up on Amazon. I'm pretty excited to start playing it. My friends and I in high school played the CCG a ton. I've never played a LCG before though, but I like the idea of tying certain cards to the objectives. Not having to buy random boosters is also a big plus for me. I probably spent a grand on the CCG.

Just a heads up in case you hadn't gathered it from the OP and/or threadchat, you do need a second copy of the main box in order to have a complete play-set of all the objectives.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'd apologize for double posting, but its been over a week.

Had a chance to sit down and play with the newest Force Pack today, I build a full-on Hoth deck for my wife and pitted it against my Vehicle-heavy Navy deck. It didn't do too badly, all things considered. My wife's not the best at keeping track of card effects, so I suspect it actually could completely shut down a vehicle-heavy deck with appropriate application of The First Marker. I'm really excited for the rest of the Hoth cycle now, because I'm finally seeing some payoff to Hoth objective synergy.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bosushi! posted:

New preview of a Navy pod from the upcoming Force Pack. http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4135

The cards contained in the pod are ok, but the Objective itself is awesome.

If you get lucky and flop two of those to start the game things could go downhill real quick for the Light side.

Oh that just looks beautiful! Navy decks are my favorite, and this objective will probably become a staple in my Hoth decks. Free damage plus units that wreck already-damaged objectives? Yes please.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I think I've said this every time we've seen cards with Hoth tags, but man, I can't wait to assemble a 100% Hoth-centric deck.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Feeple posted:

Yeah, this pack was defeinitely for smugglers and imp navy.

That's what I like to hear. I love playing Navy and having a board full of capital ships and TIEs.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

omnibobb posted:

How is everyone keeping all their cards organized?

I have card pages in a binder, and I keep my objective sets horizontal; on a two page spread, I have 3 objective sets showing. Makes getting cards in and out a bit of a pain, but deck building is easy because I can see all 6 cards per pod at once, rather than trying to memorize which cards are matched with each objective.

I was keeping them ordered numerically, but now that a bunch of force packs are out, I'm going to sit down and split everything into Light and Dark side sections.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Oh man, is Edge of Darkness out? I thought it was coming later in fall. Maybe my brain was compensating for
FFG's normal schedule

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
It is confirmed that you have to buy 2 of the expansions to get complete playsets, correct?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Carteret posted:

Yup. Plus side is you get 22 complete Objective sets.

I wish they'd just put out a higher price point box with 22 complete playsets rather than making people buy 2 boxes, wasting all that packing material.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Oh yeah, non-randomized cards is the bee's knees, and I'd rather have to buy two big box expansions rather than 50 booster packs.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Hey, I wonder where I've seen that post before.... ;)

Joking aside, I'm really looking forward to picking up Edge of Darkness. Even with the crumbs we've gotten so far, I haven't felt like I've had enough Yellow or Green to make a full deck, so I'm quite excited to make a Smuggler deck.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Is it worth trying to build a S&V or S&S deck when I only have one Edge of Darkness box? I'm going to get a second as soon as I am able, but I'm playing a couple rounds tomorrow at my local store, and want to know if I should even bother trying to build something new and exciting yet.

EDIT: Just discovered the Imperial Blockade pod. That's going straight into my Navy deck for sure. :D

jivjov fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 28, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Picked up Battle of Hoth and Escape from Hoth today; what's the current thoughts on Hoth stuff now that the cycle is complete? I'm thinking there's a lot of potential for some steamrolling decks stacked with nothing but Hoth objectives and cards that give bonuses when you control more Hoth stuff than your opponent or pulling tokens off your own Hoth stuff.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I remember having a big issue with having to still put focus tokens on an attacker that had no target left, and the consensus here and on the FFG forums was that "Yep, that's the price for bringing them into the combat at all"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The 4th Echoes of the Force force pack was teased today: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4548

That art on the package is pretty insane. Also, what's up with the weird clamshell box? I really preferred the cardboard tuckboxes of the Hoth cycle (and all the other LCG packs they put out)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm really looking forward to this force pack cycle. I'm liking the look of tying Force Commitment into more aspects of the game; as it stands, that mechanic feels a bit divorced from the rest of the game for me.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I've recently been shown the light when it comes to protecting my games, and I really want to start sleeving my LCG collection That said, I'm worried about storage options. I currently have my cards in Ultra Pro binder pages, so when I want to deckbuild I can see all 6 cards per pod at a glance. If I sleeve everything, I think my only option is going to be a card box or two, and that makes flipping through pods problematic. Any suggestions?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
While that is an attractive idea, I do a lot of deck building. I'm not in any ongoing leagues or tournament play, so i tend to build new decks every time my wife and I play together. That would make for a lot of shuffling cards in and out of sleeves and binder pages, and that sounds like a recipe for disaster in terms of bent corners and edges.

Storage space itself isn't too much of a concern. This is the only LCG I play, so if it takes up a lot of room, I can live with that. My primary concern (other than protecting the cards from wear and tear) is ease of access when I want to sit down and theory-craft new decks.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm really just waiting for some of this awesome poo poo to actually start coming out. It felt like there was a constant stream of new cards when this game was new, but everything just stopped dead when the 3v1 expansion hit.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

LordNat posted:

Heroes and Legends is on the boat and expected out next month at least.

The same gap in releases happen with Netrunner after it's first Deluxe as well. Creation and Control came out early July and we did not see Opening moves till mid/late September.

Glad to know its coming soon! I just really like the idea of a card game like this with constant additions and improvements. My only problem now is finding someone else to play against. My wife likes the game, but not nearly as much as I do.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

alg posted:

I would be totally down for goon OCTGN.

I would need to learn how the program works, but I'd be up for trying online play.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

I love this pose. "Iggy's here BITCHES!"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'd bet :10bux: that the art off the Precision Flying card is also going to show up as a pilot card for the TIE Phantom X-Wing expansion.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Swagger Dagger posted:

I think no cards coming out for a looong time killed the game for a lot of people, but it didn't catch on big in the first place around where I live.

Isn't the six-on-six-off cycle pretty standard for FFG's LCGs? Or did I misunderstand the guy at my FLGS? I raised the same concern and he basically said "Yeah, FFG's games are like that. Once a couple full cycles are out it'll start to have legs"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I'm of two minds on pod-based deck building. I like that it makes things a bit simpler for those of us that don't have copious free time to devote to theorycrafting decks from whole cloth, but it does make it feel like it's taking a lot longer to get enough new building options.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Corbeau posted:

Almost positive that the pod based deckbuilding ended this game.

Ended? Have they confirmed nothing else is coming past the upcoming cycle? :(

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Corbeau posted:

Not my business if they want to keep treating a dead patient.

Ah, so you're speculating then. Don't scare me like that!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

PaybackJack posted:

Bunch of new posts in the Star Wars thread! Yah!

...Oh, it's all about how the game is dying/dead.

I wish FFG would step it up on their releases; this drought of no new cards is killing the interest level.

The first pack of the newest cycle is officially shipping, and there's a couple people over on FFG's forums that have found it in the wild, so it's here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I think the deckbuilding is silmutaniously less and more complicated due to the pods. You only end up choosing 10 things to go into a deck, but since each of those things is composed of 1 objective and 5 other cards, there's the issue of "Oh, I'd really like this card, but these other 2 might end up being dead weight and don't have good Edge support". I think pod-based building makes you a little more aware of how certain groups of cards are going to interact.

• Locked thread