Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

quote:

The characters, starships, and situations of the original Star Wars trilogy come to life in Star Wars: The Card Game, a head-to-head Living Card Game of tactical combat and strategic planning that allows two players to wage cinematic combats between the light and dark sides of the Force. Command such legendary characters as Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Leia Organa, Boba Fett, and Darth Vader. Launch strategic assaults against your opponent’s objectives. Tempt fate in thrilling edge battles. Seek to make an ally of the Force or master its power for your own purposes.

:wookie:
2-player game
60 minutes suggested play time
10yrs+

:siren: Release date on Amazon of December 30th, 2012 :siren:
You can pre-order it here: http://amzn.to/V4EZ0Y

The Star Wars: The Card Game Core Set contains everything two players need to begin battling for the fate of the galaxy: 240 Cards (117 light side, 117 dark side, and 6 Force cards), 1 Death Star dial, nearly 100 tokens, and a rulebook.

It is another Fantasy Flight Star Wars game! http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=175

I could tell you how the game is played out or you could watch the 22 minute, British voiced, badass overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9dWPwoUQ-Y

e: seriously watch the loving video.

Fantasy Flight really outdid themselves with the card's artwork. Really some of the most incredibly well done card-game art I've seen:

The basics:

Dark side players want to get the cool little Death Star ticker to 12!

Light side players are trying to destroy 3 of the Dark side player's objective cards (similar to A Hero's Journey in the above example of great artwork).

You use focus tokens to "tap" your creatures. Each turn has different phases and you get to remove focus tokens, yadda yadda. This is all covered in the video above.

BUT! Fantasy Flight wants your money so you don't have to choose just Jedi or Sith. There are a lot of different factions that play out in the game!

Imperial Navy: The Empire established command of the galaxy through the strength of its massive fleet. The Imperial Navy faction excels at spreading out across the galaxy with capital ships, starfighters, troopers, and visionary leaders such as Grand Moff Tarkin.

Sith: Drawing upon the tremendous power of the dark side of the Force, the Sith rule the galaxy through fear. Led by Emperor Palpatine and the dark lord, Darth Vader, the Sith aim to crush their opponents’ throats and ambitions.

Rebel scum Alliance: Borne upon the wings of starfighters and the backs of Rebel troopers, the spark of freedom still flickers throughout the galaxy. Leia Organa, Admiral Ackbar, and other leaders of the Rebel Alliance call upon their pilots and soldiers to make quick, tactical strikes against the Empire.

Jedi: The fire of these adherents to the Old Ways has not completely extinguished. Luke Skywalker, Obi-Wan, Yoda, and others ally themselves with the light side of the Force. They make good use of their training, their Jedi mind tricks, and their finely-crafted lightsabers.

Much as the different affiliations work toward a common cause in the original films, they can join together in Star Wars: The Card Game to rule or save the galaxy. Players who take advantage of the game’s deck-building options can mix affiliations from the same side of the Force. Additionally, the Core Set will grant players their first taste of two other affiliations to be further developed in expansions to come.

Smugglers and Spies: This affiliation features the light side’s heroic rogues and scoundrels, typified by Han Solo. They’re tricksters and fighters who make good use of their quick minds and quick reflexes.

Scum and Villains: Money can’t solve every problem, but it can buy a lot of answers. With a cast of unscrupulous characters like Boba Fett, a host of enhancements, and tricky tactics, this affiliation more than proves it’s worth every credit.

Now go be a Rancor an swat and X-Wing out of the sky!

Red Robin Hood fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I little bit of help from Bosushi!:

Bosushi! posted:

I'm not sure exactly how useful this is, but I got incredibly bored and made a spreadsheet of values by objective set. Things like, total cost of cards within the objective set, number of units etc. I probably could've gotten more in depth with it, but I didn't really feel like splitting up the strike values in edge/non-edge dependent. I also lumped objective enhancements in with "Enhance Play Area" and I didn't discern between regular and vehicle unit enhancements.

I got the idea to do this when I decided to build a deck that would revolve around holding the balance of the force, and I figured it'd be nice to know the total Force values that units had in each objective. You'll still need to dig deeper into an objective set and read the text of the cards to actually know what your getting, but this should give you a high level view of your deck's values and card distribution once you filter for your objectives.

Star Wars LCG - Objective Spread

Expansions:

later

Red Robin Hood fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 9, 2013

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Alberta Cross posted:

This needs more love. That's a fantastic video.

I don't know what other games FF has made videos for (other than SW miniatures) but they are really, really well done. I kind of felt bad making an OP with such low-content but then I thought "if this post serves only as a gateway to the beautiful video, I have done something incredible."

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
So if Rebels are overpowered does that mean the title should be "an X-wing swatting a Rancor out of the sky."?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

stoko posted:

I know nothing about this game, but if it is anything like the Star Wars CCG, I will buy the poo poo out of it.

Ok let's be honest, I am going to buy the poo poo out it anyways cause it's Star Wars :smith:

Don't worry, I feel like this too! Luckily this looks like a good Star Wars game! :downs:

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Chomp8645 posted:

Maybe I'm just a noob or something (I'm a little new to board/LCG gaming) but how are you assholes playing this game already? I thought the darn thing didn't release until the 30th.

You can already order it here: https://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/165442 and some game shops have demo copies available already.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Mayostard posted:

I've got my brother to play with, but I think I'll wait until the new year and search locally again before placing an order.

Do the shipping prices from Amazon really gouge you that greatly?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Bosushi! posted:

I'm not sure exactly how useful this is, but I got incredibly bored and made a spreadsheet of values by objective set. Things like, total cost of cards within the objective set, number of units etc. I probably could've gotten more in depth with it, but I didn't really feel like splitting up the strike values in edge/non-edge dependent. I also lumped objective enhancements in with "Enhance Play Area" and I didn't discern between regular and vehicle unit enhancements.

I got the idea to do this when I decided to build a deck that would revolve around holding the balance of the force, and I figured it'd be nice to know the total Force values that units had in each objective. You'll still need to dig deeper into an objective set and read the text of the cards to actually know what your getting, but this should give you a high level view of your deck's values and card distribution once you filter for your objectives.

Star Wars LCG - Objective Spread

Added to the OP! Very useful! Thanks!

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Xeus posted:

My comic store does fantasy flight games on Wednesdays, its getting twice the numbers as FNM so far. Its also a much better night for me which is another reason I'm looking to make the change.

My local shop has pretty much all but stopped FNM. They do A LOT more WoW cards and DC cards than they ever did with FNM.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Dominion posted:

DC Cards? Is there a new DC comics CCG? I played the hell out of Vs. System when that was a thing.

Came out Nov, 30 2012: http://www.cryptozoic.com/games/dc-comics-deck-building-game or http://amzn.to/10GUXqs

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Pre-orders are on sale as well as the core game: http://www.coolstuffinc.com/page/1061

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Amazon says the 15th but my Pre-orders from them have usually arrived early: https://www.amazon.com/dp/161661382...6CNQD1P2KDKDD2&

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
I'm selling a super sweet bundle here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3589170

I'd like to sell it to a goon that will put good use to it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
:doh: I OPd the correct thread, too! Thanks

• Locked thread