Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

PJOmega posted:

Are Balance of the Force cards going to be tournament legal at all (the non xv1 decks) or is it exclusively a multiplayer non-tourney set?

From the preview page:

quote:

Many of their cards introduce ways that multiplayer teammates can benefit from their “common reserve,” and some offer effects that are particularly damaging in multiplayer matches, such as a single event that can capture as many as two enemy units. Still, these objective sets will quickly find their way into many two-player games because they introduce a host of new mechanics and potent Characters, including cards like Supporting Fire (Balance of the Force, 420) and the expanded universe’s Mara Jade (Balance of the Force, 430).

So yes, they should be fine in normal 1v1 decks. Bear in mind they'll be Limit 1 pods so even if they're strong they won't show up as frequently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I think Fett was designed to be balanced within his set. lovely without his armor, pretty great with it. It boils down to his Reaction ability being fairly strong and a bit ridiculous, as it's potentially targeted removal.

Really, he should have been designed to be solid on his own. That would probably require him losing his capture ability or having its strength reduced in some fashion, and probably dropping him down to 3-cost. Maybe 3-cost with an ability closer to the Z-95 Headhunter's capture ability. :shrug:

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Swagger Dagger posted:

Keep in mind that it's been ruled that you don't actually have to have a unit in hand to put on the field to return the Falcon to your hand, you can just do it. It's basically an unkillable unit.

Even at 5-cost, that seems a bit unbalanced. Is there something I'm missing here?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

PJOmega posted:

Faux Edit: Which gives no explanation for shielding other units/objectives.

It speedily Intercepts enemy fire with its own hull? :v:

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I have the chance to get a collection of the core game, Force packs through the Rogue Squadron cycle, and four deluxe boxes for super duper cheap. I bounced hard off of this game years ago after coming down from an MTG high (a habit I kicked years ago), but after looking into it further and developing a better understanding of how it plays, the game looks way, way more interesting to me now.

Would it be worth building up a collection to keep around to play with one or two friends who might also be into it? I've only really looked at the card up through Balance of the Force so I don't really know what directions the designers took the game after that.

I know Destiny is sort of the new hotness but collectible games are anathema to me. I wouldn't mind trying to build up a scene around this game around me, but how much of an uphill battle would I have if other LCGs haven't really taken off in my local area?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

PaybackJack posted:

... I've had a little group of just 3 of us playing SW LCG for a few years now and it's been alright.

This is kind of what happened in my store with Netrunner and Game of Thrones. There's a core group of maybe four to six people for each game that come out regularly, of which maybe four of them will regularly attend OP kits (in both cases one of those folks is a store employee).

I guess I'll do the semi-sensible thing and start with the core box and see if my friends are interested and go from there.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I'm looking for some decent match-ups against a Scum capture-heavy deck. I currently own 2x Core, 2x Edge of Darkness, and 1x Between the Shadows, but I have immediate access to the other deluxe boxes and all the packs through the Endor cycle. My friend's deck currently looks like the following:

2x Jabba's Reach
2x The Tatooine Crash
2x Carbonite Transport
2x “No Disintegrations”
1x Masterful Manipulation
1x The Hunters

I've had decent success with a Luke, Han, Chewie, Falcon, Secret of Yavin 4 deck, but I'm kind of bored with it. I've been experimenting with a couple of versions of the following, for fun:

2x The Rebel Fleet
2x Decoy at Dantooine
1x Hit and Run
2x Trust Me
1x Alderaan's Promise
1x Commando Raid
1x Calling In Favors

So far I really love Talon Karrde's set for early- or mid-game bomb turns and the Dirty Secrets enhancement to blank an important objective (blowing up an objective by blanking out The Hunters is pretty satisfying). Decoy at Dantooine has done its job slowing the game down to make it easier for me to catch up in units compared to the scum deck which just shits out units like nothing. Lando has been somewhat underwhelming and Judder Page, while fun (the deck started as an exercise in getting as many Fate cards in as possible for his set), hasn't really done much for me.

My friend really, really loves her capture-heavy Scum deck and probably won't be changing it up any time soon, so I'm looking to make a deck that is fun and interactive against it. It's a pretty tough deck to match up against since it puts out so many units, captures my best cards, and ends up with massive reserve sizes for edge battles along with Reversal of Fortune. Anyone have any suggestions?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Both of them sound really fun, but especially the Rebel/Smugglers capture deck! I was tinkering around with some of those sets while looking for fun, interactive ones, but I very much appreciate the list. I'll definitely give it a shot next time I get to play.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
My friend and I started playing again after a hiatus due to work picking up for both of us. I forgot how fun this game is.

We played a few games of Imperial Capital Ships/Fighters vs. Tri-Color Light Side pilots. She had overwhelming numbers most games and typically wiped out 2-3 of my objectives. Amusingly, despite a heavy pilot theme (with Leebo, Hobbie, Wes, Tycho, and Keyan), Hyperspace Marauder and a one-of My Ally is the Force did most of the work in my deck.

My light side deck won two out of three games, with the second two games getting screwed out of Rebel resources at the start but scraping by. They were some really fun match-ups!

We're picking up the rest of the packs we're missing (Galactic Ambitions, Endor Cycle, and Opposition Cycle) next week, and I'll likely grab the last of the Alliances cycle in the next month or so and have a complete set to tinker with.

I know the game is technically dead now as we're really diving in to it, but man is it so much fun doing kitchen table games with it.

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 11, 2018

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

jivjov posted:

Picked up the final Force Pack today. Sad to see releases for this game end, even sadder that there was never a local community I could attend for it.

I picked up the last of what my friend and I needed last week. I still have lofty goals of creating a small local scene, which may be easier now with the ability to build a bunch of varied decks all at once and tell people, "you don't even have to buy new stuff--it's done!" :v:

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Working on putting together a Rebel Fighter deck for the first time, gotten this down so far:

Affiliation:
Rebel Alliance

Objective: (10)
2x The Defense of Yavin 4 (Core 8-1)
2x Called to Arms (Draw Their Fire 147-1)
2x Running the Trench (Attack Run 157-1)
2x Planning the Attack (Galactic Ambitions 225-1)
2x They’ll Never Stop Us (Swayed by the Dark Side 276-1)

It's kind of meant to be semi-thematic in that it will be going up against my friend's Navy Capital Ship deck. I was also looking for an excuse to use Running the Trench Luke.

Should I cut Planning the Attack and put more fighters in? Shift something else around?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

PaybackJack posted:

Cut a Called to Arms and a Running the Trench for 2x Rogue Squadron Assault. You could also cut a Planning the Attack for 1x GA Wedge (A Legend Begins?)

You definitely want the card draw from RSA though, that's key to a pilot deck working.

Cool, I was trying to work both Rogue Squadron Assault and A Legend Begins in, but couldn't figure it out.

Is it not worth doubling up on Called to Arms? It seems like everything in the set would do a ton of work, particularly the Gray Squadron Gunner and Y-Wing, as well as making a Desperation draw more likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

PaybackJack posted:

A lot of good stuff

Awesome! Thank you for the pointers and explanations, I appreciate it.

In goldfishing the first iteration of the deck, Dodonna and his set did kind of peter out pretty quickly, or cost me tempo, so I can see the wisdom in cutting that down to one. I suppose, too, that the extra card draw from RSA and maybe Dodonna would help get me through the deck more quickly anyway, if I was really desperately looking for... Desperation.

I'll give it all a go the next time my friend and I play!

• Locked thread