Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Mine is shipping today! :D

I got to look through a set a dude brought back from world's. Ewok Scouts will kill us all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

Well that seems odd, isn't Cool Stuff breaking some kind of agreement by selling it right now? I'm a lot less familiar with standards in this industry than in video games, but I know that if any video game seller/distributor was openly selling copies over a week before release there would be hell to pay.

FFG dioesn't have "street dates," just "release dates" of when they're sent to distributors. It's an accepted part of FFG's cycle that your store gets it when it gets it. For instance, my lGS got it in Tuesday, but the game store in Springfield, MO, 3 hours away, got it today.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Game Nite in St. Louis, Mo! Stop by sometime! We're planning on playing a bunch on Sat.

I'll be the fat guy.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Looking through and building my first decks, I noted a couple of things:

There really are no bad cards. Sure, a couple of cards are only OK, and certainly some are more efficient that others. Nothing, though, is clearly a filler or bloat card. Everything can contribute something to the feel of a pod.

Why in God's name did they include multiple Objectives that clearly state only 1 per deck?

Anyway, the decks. I'm just listing the pods, as there really isn't much point to list the individual cards, since it's all dictated by the objectives.

Dark Side:

ID: Imperial Academy
1x Recon Mission
1x Defense Protocol
2x Imperial Command
2x Ultimate power
2x Death and Despayre
2x Take Them Prisioner.

Light Side:

ID: Rebel Alliance
2x Fleeing the Empire
2x Mission Briefing
2x Rebel Fleet
2x Draw Their Fire
1x Hit and Run
1x The Defenese of Yavin 4

More boring and straightforward, just tossing stuff out and fighting, with some dickery hanging about.

I want to play a few games with them before changing, but this feels like a solid start.

Edit: poo poo, forgot Ultimate power is IN only, updated.

Feeple fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 23, 2012

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

WerrWaaa posted:

I have a couple topics I would like to see discussed.

Deck Building: Do we stick to the minimum card number for efficiency? Would I lose too much by adding an 11th objective (the Limited 1) to a deck that otherwise has 2 of five good objectives? Should we always be running two, or is splashing one here and there a good idea? Is fear of being decked out a real problem? Which leads to...

Tempo: Should I play my whole had or hold cards for Edge Battles? How many? When should I be attacking? How many defenders do I leave? When have I held on to a card too long?

I am loving this game. Can't wait for the expansions to start coming in. But I can't seem to ever win what with learning a new play style and all. Any feedback on these or other issues so far?

In my opinion, that 11th plus objective really needs to justify itself, as the decks get diluted. Taking that pod that has almost all Fate Cards wouldn't be a bad call, though.

Tempo is something to learn by doing, really. Feeling out when to play versus save for defenses versus when to use as an actual card is something that changes turn by turn, and even hand by hand. Just as learning how to bluff well as the Corp in Netrunner, learning how/when to edge is something best figured out by practice, really. It's a mechanic that allows player skill to really shine over card choice/deckbuilding.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Very cool, Bosushi!

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Still stoked about this game. I have reckoned that if Luke has Trust Your Feelings on him, he strikes in a combat, gets focused, then you focus TYF, and Luke can strike again as he is still an un-Focused participant in a combat. Toss in a lightsaber, and he can wreck most games in two turns.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Bosushi! posted:

There's actually one neutral objective in the core set that is designed specifically for multifaction decks. The objective itself and some of it's cards allow you to ignore faction resource requirements.

It's a bit of a waste of an objective slot though, and your much better off going with the strategy that Dominion mentioned.

Unless one of the 7 is faction only. I use the LS one right now because I only splash Jedi, but I need the Rebel Fleet only objective, too.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Trench Run is there to force the issue. It becomes a huge priority for DS to prevent more than 5-6 damage to it, and it spreads their defensive capabilities.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

I'm excited to see what the expansions will bring, as I saw in a disrtibutor's magazine the first one is due in Feb. the pic showed but didn't spoil a new Darth Vader, and a Rogue Three.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Oringinally, they were building an LCG for Star Wars that used most of the rules from the Lord of the Rings LCG. People got upset that it wasn't going to be a competitive game, and they rebuilt.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

This isn't really what happened.

Really? That was the story I was told. What did happen?

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Ok, I see. Thanks!

I never made any ranting posts, but I did want Star Wars to have a competitive aspect. I just got into the LotR game, and it's a nice break from building a dick deck to frustrate others, so build a dick deck that really helps your buds out.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

I've been listening to A Smuggler's Den podcast from over at cardgamedb.com, and they have revolutionized how I play and see the game. I think they're worth a listen.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

this troper posted:

I ordered the core set for this and I'm looking forward to giving it a shot with my friends, since they're all into card games, especially deck building ones like Dominion, but they like LCGs too. I watched the cool narrated tutorial video but is there anything else important I need to know as a beginning player?

The golden rule of card games: if it's worth doing, it's worth doing twice.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

ENEMY events. ;)

drat, I gotta get two of the expensive ones? Figures. :/

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Desolation came in last night for me. A good mix of nice, interesting, and cards that will get better when more than 3 Hoth objectives exist per side. The new Vader is very cool!

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Crazy good pack.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Dat Navy pod :allears:

A:NR vs. SW: I've actually discussed this with many of my locals, and I keep coming back to "In three years, I'll still be willing to play and buy Netrunner. I'm not sure I can say that for Star Wars."

It's a shame, because I like both a lot. The problem is Star Wars takes a lot longer as a game to develop than Netrunner does, as the pod mechanic means deck innovations are always significant, and therefore new deck archetypes (such as the Smug Jedi build that has been all the rage lately) take a while to come into play. Heck, we're just now seeing the ideas begin of Hoth centric decks, and we're two packs in.

I don't want to sound cruel or mean, because it's not meant to be. I do like this game and the pod mechanic is really neat (although frustrating sometimes when swapping out one or two pods,) but the game develops much slower in my opinion, and it's a different meta tempo than Netrunner is.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

First night of league for us here, and my Imp Navy deck just isn't cutting the mustard. Anyone have a good Sith build (obviously, Palpy and Vader1.)

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

A New Hope is a reset of sorts, too. The game doesn't seem to be able to do much to mesd with tempo, so a strong start can carry you to victory.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Manifest posted:

The new box is... Okay.
The sith pod seems too expensive and doesn't have a lot in it, though I REALLY like the jedi pod.

Yeah, this pack was defeinitely for smugglers and imp navy.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Our regional is this weekend, and I had to threaten going to a competitor to get my Assault on Echo Base last night. I didn't like doing that, but I needed to study the set so I can be prepared (and now I'm tempted to rework entirely.) They really are hard at work to make alternatives to Smug Jedi competitive.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

If anyone is on the fence, I have a full playset up to EoD that I want to get rid of for cheap. Comes with the Regional divider cards. Hit me up with a PM or screen name at.gee mail dot com

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Corbeau posted:

I mean in every way possible. I knew it was over when they started referring to cards, by title, in immense chains. And then they didn't learn from it in their following games.

Decipher died for a reason.

Unfortunately, agreed. I loved playing the Decipher games in high school, but looking back it was atrocious design. Imagine a player wanting to get in on the game around Jabba's Palace release. There are tons of rules the core set never addresses, far too many objective decks you won't see until you run headlong into, and piles of silver bullets everywhere. The strength of the license at the time kept it going for as long as it did, and I cannot concieve how those guys keep playing with that fan community.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

So, it's been a while, but I stopped playing during the Hoth cycle, before the first deluxe expansion. What are *the* expansions to pick up right now?

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

Would anyone be interested in my meager collection? It's 2x Cores, 1x Edge of Darkness, and all of the Hoth Cycle. The game is fun and I love Star Wars, but I don't have time for the game any longer.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

EdsTeioh posted:

Possibly. I've got a friend that is looking for a set. How much?

$75 plus shipping sound Ok?

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

EdsTeioh posted:

Depends on how much shipping is. Can he get a quote to 32504?

Looks like it'd be about $10. So $85 shipped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

EdsTeioh posted:

Sounds good. Email me at my username with a dot between the s and the T at gmail and I'll put you two in touch.

Done. Thanks!

• Locked thread