Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Did anyone else used to play Vs.? Because when I looked through the Rebel cards and saw all the crazy combo poo poo you can do with Leia, all I could think of was Teen Titans Go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Xeus posted:

This thread needs more love. I'm seriously considering selling my $500+ MTG collection and playing this full time now.

It takes a few months for LCGs to really pick up steam. Same thing happened with Netrunner, people swore it was a great game but doomed to failure for small card pool and lack of organized play, but then those things both started to fix themselves and now it's ramping up. I imagine the same will happen with Star Wars. If there was an LCG equivalent of Friday Night Magic, where I knew on any given weekly day I could just go to a store and play, I'd be very very happy. I know it won't get to quite that point in the same way that no MMO will ever be WoW again, but still, a bigger community not dependent on single monthly events would be nice.

Also, it took me a few plays before I really started to see the game emerge. At first I was like oh whatever it's a light magic clone, you drop creatures and they fight, whatever. But then the resource system and the edge battle and combat systems started to gel and it's really a drastically different game than any other I have played.

Then I theorycrafted how to take out Heart of the Empire in one turn with a Leia/Red5/WookieNavigator combo and now I basically have to play forever until I get to do that.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Red Robin Hood posted:

My local shop has pretty much all but stopped FNM. They do A LOT more WoW cards and DC cards than they ever did with FNM.

DC Cards? Is there a new DC comics CCG? I played the hell out of Vs. System when that was a thing.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Well not most of all if two factions because then your deck would be enormous.

But yes, split faction is very viable. Going 7/3 on objectives is ideal, with your identity card matching the 3, since then you are guaranteed to not get frozen out of one faction on the draw.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
That one strikes me as being designed for three faction decks, which aren't really doable with only one set of Smuggler cards so far.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I dunno man, Trench Run is pretty good.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Bosushi! posted:

I'm not convinced of Trench Run's effectiveness. You'd need to draw it early for it to be worth your while, and you can't use cards that target objectives, like Rebel Assault, nor can the Light Side's balance of the Force effect be used. There's some people that also believe you can't use cards that target "engaged objective", like Attack of Opportunity. I believe it should, but all it takes is one tournament judge that believes otherwise.

You'd need to put 2 Mobilize the Squadron's to increase your early draw chances. You'd get an extra Rebel Assault, but you'd also get another Rookie Pilot.

I think the Jedi exclusive pod is much better.

Yeah, I tried that, because the thought of Red 5 interacting with Leia was really tempting. But it didn't really work out. The Twilek guy is about as bad as a rookie pilot, and the objective itself is so-so so really you're in it for Red 5 and Double Strike.

More often than not I found myself with Red 5 and no Leia and no wookie or vice versa, and without the lockdown from other Jedi sets its hard to keep red 5 alive to do much damage.

I found myself missing the Rebel Assaults too much, and the crappy pilots can always get sacrificed to draw cards with You're my Only Hope or edge battled away anyway.

By the way, Wookie Navigator DEFINITELY works with Trench Run. But you're right that Rebel Assault does not.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
The other good thing is that its ok that some subpar cards get included, since you dump so much on edge battles anyway.

Yeah, R2 is better the Rookie pilot, but the rebels don't need many resources to function well, and you're more than likely going to discard him anyway. Or sac him or use him to chump block or whatever. Same with trench run if you don't draw it early.

I mean, I get you, Journey To Dagobah is an awesome set. I just think it doesn't work as well in Rebels as I initially thought when I saw Red 5 and Double Strike.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Oh for sure, I agree with that. I ran 8/2 rebel/Jedi for the two Journey to Dagobah, and when I removed those I just went mono-Rebel.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Well in other CCGs you generally try to max out copies of important cards in your deck. Here you do that by maxing out the objective by adding 2 copies. So if you want two copies of Luke in your deck instead of one, you need to Cores.

Don't think of it as a duplicate of a game you already have. Think of it as the REST of a game you have the intro box for.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I think the big issue with co-op, to be honest, was that if you have a Star Wars game people will want to play Darth Vader and Boba Fett. Can't do that in light side co-op.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

LumberingTroll posted:

Unless they designed the mechanics so that you can play either side and the opposite becomes the game side :D, character, event, and item cards could be the same, but the automation cards could be generic enough to be used on either side.

I suppose that would be possible but it sounds like a nightmare to develop.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Bosushi! posted:

It really seems like luck of draw plays a big factor in this game, and I think the Dark Side in general are more resistant to a crappy draw with the current card pool. There always seems to be something they can do and even with a sub optimal draw, the Death Star dial still advances.

This fits with my experience as well. Every time I lose as Rebels, its because I didn't draw my key combo cards. Whereas I've never had a bad draw with my imperial navy deck - it just functions so well on any draw.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Corbeau posted:

It's discouraging that luck seems to be that large a factor. I hope that can be resolved eventually.

Well, to some degree its unavoidable based on the deck construction. If you have a combo deck and it revolves around Card X *coughLeiacough*, and you can only put two of her in your deck, as opposed to 3 in Netrunner or 4 in Magic, you're that much less likely to get off the combo.

In the case of the Rebel deck, I think that is the real reason for all the Rebel Assaults, so you are still making progress and doing something worthwhile while you assemble your crazy combo.

The Navy, on the other hand, has a bunch of ways to win. Superlaser Blast, a bunch of weenies suddenly made deadly with Trooper Assault or Orbital Bombardment or Tarkin, or even just clearing the Light Side's board with Defense Protocol and waiting out the Death Star dial. The fact that you may not get your Superlaser Blasts in every game goes unnoticed when you're still kicking rear end anyway.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Bosushi! posted:

Holy crap, if Jabba's "cannot be targeted" means what I think it means then he is AMAZING.

What would it mean other than that he can't be targeted by events?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Bosushi! posted:

He's still good, though, since it means he can't be Jedi Mind Tricked.

Which is of course, exactly why he has that power. It's almost as thematically appropriate as Ackbar's "it's a trap" power or Han shooting first.

• Locked thread