Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Xandu posted:

I just finished the second book and I have no idea which scene you're talking about. When was his real name revealed?

It wasn't, but he tells it to Jean at the end of the first book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
My memory may be faulty but I believe the name was specified as three syllables.

I kind of hope it was a double-fake-out and the name Locke told Jean was ALSO not his real name, in case Jean got magic'd into giving away Locke's name, he'd give the wrong one.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
It was at the end of the first book. Jean says something along the lines of "After all we've been through, tell me one thing. What's your real name?". Then Locke leans over and whispers it in his ear, and Jean says "Huh. Well, I wouldn't tell people if that were my name either!". I think that's the only time it's even close to revealed.

Maud Moonshine
Nov 6, 2010

I think it also says that Jean 'gasps in surprise' (or shock) when Locke tells him, which makes me think Jean recognizes the name in some way. If it was just a so-bad-it's-funny name, why the surprise? Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I just don't believe Locke is a normal catchfire orphan.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Maud Moonshine posted:

I think it also says that Jean 'gasps in surprise' (or shock) when Locke tells him, which makes me think Jean recognizes the name in some way. If it was just a so-bad-it's-funny name, why the surprise? Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I just don't believe Locke is a normal catchfire orphan.

I think its described asa five-syllable name, and is likely just surprising to Jean in its ridiculousness. I'd double-check but my copy is packed up from moving.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

My memory may be faulty but isn't Locke Implied to be a member of the same family as the gray king, His younger brother or something, You know the one that was murdered due to protesting the agreement between the thieves and the nobility

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
To both the above posts, I don't believe we are given any information whatsoever beyond the fact that Jean is surprised to hear it.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Benson Cunningham posted:

To both the above posts, I don't believe we are given any information whatsoever beyond the fact that Jean is surprised to hear it.

Okay, you made me go dig the book out. The last page of the novel:

"If you don't mind my asking...what is your real name?"
"Oh, gods," Locke smiled weakly. "Can't I have any secrets?"
[...]
Jean stumbled over to the pile of crates on which Locke was lying, and bent down to put his ear near Locke's mouth. Locke whispered five syllables, and Jean's eyes widened.
"You know," he said, "I'd have done with Lock in preference to that, myself."
"Tell me about it."

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Dienes posted:

Okay, you made me go dig the book out. The last page of the novel:

"If you don't mind my asking...what is your real name?"
"Oh, gods," Locke smiled weakly. "Can't I have any secrets?"
[...]
Jean stumbled over to the pile of crates on which Locke was lying, and bent down to put his ear near Locke's mouth. Locke whispered five syllables, and Jean's eyes widened.
"You know," he said, "I'd have done with Lock in preference to that, myself."
"Tell me about it."

That's first and last name I assume, not just first name. But touche.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
It still doesn't tell us much. We can make all kinds of wild theories and guesses, but he could either be a hidden prince or just another Catchfire Orphan given what we've been told.

EDIT: Which makes me wonder if the 'five syllable' comment is a form of Chekhov's Gun?

syphon fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 28, 2013

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's pretty dumb reasoning to assume that hes a secret super royalty mage bastard whatever and he's been using an alias since he was like 3 years old based off of complete guesswork when they just tell you his real name in the first half of the first chapter. There's no dangling plot thread, beyond just a funny coincidence that led to him being particularly hard for the Bad Guys to Deal With.

Lies of Locke Lamora, Page 20: posted:

What’s your name, boy?” “Lamora.” “Your parents must have been misers, to give you nothing but a surname. What else did they call you?” The boy seemed to think very deeply about this. “I’m called Locke,” he finally said. “After my father.” “Very good. Rolls right off the tongue, it does. Well, Locke-after-your-father Lamora, you come here and have a word with me.

Lies of Locke Lamora, page 951 posted:

“If you don’t mind my asking… what is your real name?” “Oh, gods.” Locke smiled weakly. “Can’t I have any secrets?” “You know mine.” “Yeah, but you’ve only got the one anyway.” “Not a fair point.” “Oh, fine,” said Locke. “Get over here.” Jean stumbled over to the pile of crates on which Locke was lying, and bent down to put his ear near Locke’s mouth. Locke whispered five syllables, and Jean’s eyes widened. “You know,” he said, “I’d have gone with Locke in preference to that, myself.” “Tell me about it.”

It's a recurring theme that in any kind of physical altercation he gets by on sheer dumb luck.

Normal Adult Human fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 29, 2013

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I'm so pleased that this thread exists! I'm surprised it hasn't come up sooner. The series has much potential.

I can't believe it's been so long since Red Sea Under Red Skies came out.

I know that I cursed long and loud every time I went into my local bookshop and didn't see "The Republic of Thieves" on the shelves. Someone earlier in this thread mentioned that there was a bout of depression involved. If that's true, I take back exactly 50% of the horrible things I muttered under my breath while skulking through the fantasy fiction section of Dymocks.

For those who just can't stand another second without Locke in their lives, I present the following link to the prologue for The Republic of Thieves:

http://www.scottlynch.us/excerpts.html

I of course, don't recommend reading it unless you've completed Lies of Locke Lamora, and Red Seas under Red Skies for spoiler reasons.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

I wish I could get Scott Lynch to write campaign settings for tabletop rpgs. His narrative is at its best when he is discussing architecture, religion, or how his various syndicates function. I don't mean to put down his dialog, I just enjoy how he evokes a picture of his world more. And again, while I don't mean to put down his dialog, there are times where it gets a little too close to a pop culture nerd tone for my liking. This is an increasingly evident problem for my buddy Patrick Rothfuss, and I noticed it strongly in Lynch's Queen of the Red Sands story.

And speaking of his religions, they are perhaps the only interesting ones I've seen in a fantasy novel in a long time. That Locke is actually a priest of the Crooked Warden is really cool, and how it's evident that from his time with father chains that it means something to him is an equally compelling character trait.

Maud Moonshine
Nov 6, 2010

Normal Adult Human posted:

It's pretty dumb reasoning to assume that hes a secret super royalty mage bastard whatever and he's been using an alias since he was like 3 years old based off of complete guesswork when they just tell you his real name in the first half of the first chapter. There's no dangling plot thread, beyond just a funny coincidence that led to him being particularly hard for the Bad Guys to Deal With.

It's a recurring theme that in any kind of physical altercation he gets by on sheer dumb luck.

I'm not personally convinced by this theory, for which there isn't really any more evidence than any other theory. Just because the syllables match isn't really proof. Even if his mother called him 'after your father' (which is a weird thing for even a disinterested mother to call her son), he'd still have a surname - either his mother's or his father's. And he explicitly said somewhere that his surname isn't Lamora. So what is it? Also, if he lied about his surname when he was three, why not the rest of his name?

I'm not saying he's royalty or a mage (I don't know where the grey king theory came from). I just think it is a plot thread that's been left at least ambiguous and I'd be curious to find out more.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

darth cookie posted:

For those who just can't stand another second without Locke in their lives, I present the following link to the prologue for The Republic of Thieves:

http://www.scottlynch.us/excerpts.html
I don't know why I haven't stumbled across this before now, but it gives us our first look at Sabetha. Makes me very excited for the third book, whenever it finally comes out!

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

darth cookie posted:

I know that I cursed long and loud every time I went into my local bookshop and didn't see "The Republic of Thieves" on the shelves. Someone earlier in this thread mentioned that there was a bout of depression involved. If that's true, I take back exactly 50% of the horrible things I muttered under my breath while skulking through the fantasy fiction section of Dymocks.

The impression that I got from poking around online was that he ended up having to deal with some pretty bad depression, some very crippling social anxiety, and also his wife left him. I think his life is pretty back together now, but I looked through his blog entries and sometimes he's talking about going to conventions and having a good time and sometimes he's talking about "Today was not a good day, but I managed to make myself go outside. That's something, at least." I definitely want the third book to come out sooner rather than later, but depression and anxiety like that can really screw a dude up and I'm willing to give him as much slack as he feels like he needs. Fortunately, it seems like his publishers feel the same way and they're not pressuring him to turn in a manuscript when he can barely face the idea of human interaction.

Benson Cunningham posted:

I wish I could get Scott Lynch to write campaign settings for tabletop rpgs. His narrative is at its best when he is discussing architecture, religion, or how his various syndicates function. I don't mean to put down his dialog, I just enjoy how he evokes a picture of his world more. And again, while I don't mean to put down his dialog, there are times where it gets a little too close to a pop culture nerd tone for my liking. This is an increasingly evident problem for my buddy Patrick Rothfuss, and I noticed it strongly in Lynch's Queen of the Red Sands story.

And speaking of his religions, they are perhaps the only interesting ones I've seen in a fantasy novel in a long time. That Locke is actually a priest of the Crooked Warden is really cool, and how it's evident that from his time with father chains that it means something to him is an equally compelling character trait.

One of the things I like best about his books is the feeling that this world he's built has a lot of history behind it. He's not just dropping you into this setting and saying "oh, here's some stuff that's happened in the past thousand years and it's led to the story you're reading right now", but it really feels like this world has a bunch of stories that span years and years and years and we just happen to be reading one section of them.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Maud Moonshine posted:

I'm not personally convinced by this theory, for which there isn't really any more evidence than any other theory. Just because the syllables match isn't really proof. Even if his mother called him 'after your father' (which is a weird thing for even a disinterested mother to call her son), he'd still have a surname - either his mother's or his father's. And he explicitly said somewhere that his surname isn't Lamora. So what is it? Also, if he lied about his surname when he was three, why not the rest of his name?

I'm not saying he's royalty or a mage (I don't know where the grey king theory came from). I just think it is a plot thread that's been left at least ambiguous and I'd be curious to find out more.
And "wow I would choose that name over the other one as well" doesn't necessarily mean that his name is lauughable, it may instead carry some heavy connotations.

Luigi Mario KOG
Oct 21, 2012
It's official. Republic of Thieves coming in October.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Oh excellent! Now I need to decide if I want to get it on Kindle or if I should buy hard copies of the first two books so I can start a collection. I didn't anticipate enjoying this series nearly as much as I have, but I wouldn't mind owning paper versions of this stuff.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I knew today was going to be a good one when I woke up, just haven't been able to put my finger on why. This is awesome news!

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Oh Hell YES. Today is a good day.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Yahoo! Finally! The prologue teaser just wasn't enough.

:dance:

Maud Moonshine
Nov 6, 2010

With this and the confirmation that there will be at least two more seasons of BBC's Sherlock my housemate and I are very happy bunnies indeed.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Maud Moonshine posted:

With this and the confirmation that there will be at least two more seasons of BBC's Sherlock my housemate and I are very happy bunnies indeed.

Wow my day just keeps getting better and better. Thanks for this piece of news too.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Maud Moonshine posted:

Yeah gently caress Locke Lamora this is the best news.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Every time I load this thread and there are three unread responses my day just gets better and better.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Oh gently caress yeah.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
The prologue is really good. After the second one I wasn't very optimistic (its a good book, just not what I was looking forwards to), but the prologue nails the right feel and is a great way to set up the third.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
At this point its like ADWD for me, I'll believe it when I have the book in my hands....and read at least 3/4 of it. Thats not to say that Lynch's reasons for delays aren't 100 times more legitimate than George Pizza Football Martin's, but after so many passed publication dates its a bit hard to believe that this is it.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Well, he turned in the final manuscript apparently, so I'm not sure what else is going to be able to delay it short of the publisher's presses being destroyed. There's nothing left to write, and I'm assuming since the final manuscript is completed, the editorial process should be finished as well.

That being said, I'll believe it when I get my shipment notice from Amazon.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Hooray!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mr.48 posted:

At this point its like ADWD for me, I'll believe it when I have the book in my hands....and read at least 3/4 of it. Thats not to say that Lynch's reasons for delays aren't 100 times more legitimate than George Pizza Football Martin's, but after so many passed publication dates its a bit hard to believe that this is it.

Well, at least this time it's an official publication date instead of Amazon just making wild guesses. Outside of some sort of crazy accident it seems pretty set in stone at this point.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah, unless everyone at the publishing house comes down with crippling depression the release date shouldn't change much.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Mr.48 posted:

The only reason I'm believing it is because it's been posted on the Gollantz website. They seemed to understand that a) Scott Lynch needs to take however much time he needs to take in order to get himself worked out before he can work on writing a book again and b) The only thing people hate more than not having a release date is having a release date that constantly slides back when you get close. So the fact that they're willing to step up and say "October 8th, that's the date" seems like a pretty solid indication that they can actually have the book in people's hands by that day.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
This is the first official rather than tentative release date announced, so I'm confident that Gollancz are the ones we're relying on now, not Scott.

Bizob
Dec 18, 2004

Tiger out of nowhere!
Holy poo poo, what unexpected and awesome news.

Tinydryad
Aug 13, 2004

This newb claimed by ChlamydiaJones; remember, bad things happen in theaters sometimes.

Yay! I can't wait. Nothing like a new book. :)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
http://scott-lynch.livejournal.com/275749.html

A blog post in which Scott Lynch discusses how this publishing date is real; drops some hints about the plot; and says that he is working on a few novellas and also the next book, The Thorn of Emberlain.

Hopefully all of that stuff that get done before the next meltdown.

withak fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 18, 2013

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Excited for the next book

kinda disappointed he's sticking with the flashback structure. Hopefully both of the stories will be interesting this time. Finally Sabetha appears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Well that is just really exciting. I don't really remember much of what happened in Red Seas but I recall enjoying the experience and the first book was fantastic.

• Locked thread