Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

My advice to anyone interested in checking the series out is that the first book owns and nearly all of it stands alone. Read that, and don't read the second book until the third one is finally released, which might be sometime next year but who knows. Opinions on the second book vary drastically, but even people that like it will admit that it pales in comparison to the first (Personally, I enjoyed it though some parts really dragged).

Sucks that it has been over 5 years since the last book but it's understandable, depression can do those sorts of things to you. Seconding that it's definitely a better reason for delays than being mopey about your favorite football team losing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mr.48 posted:

At this point its like ADWD for me, I'll believe it when I have the book in my hands....and read at least 3/4 of it. Thats not to say that Lynch's reasons for delays aren't 100 times more legitimate than George Pizza Football Martin's, but after so many passed publication dates its a bit hard to believe that this is it.

Well, at least this time it's an official publication date instead of Amazon just making wild guesses. Outside of some sort of crazy accident it seems pretty set in stone at this point.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm willing to give Lynch some leeway since being hella depressed is a drat good reason for a delay. It's not like he stopped writing just because his favorite football team lost a game, after all :v:

Gonna be interesting to see how book 3 ends up. With all the rewrites going on I figure chances are good it will be either amazing or awful, without a lot of room for something in-between.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Eh, popularity doesn't really have much of a correlation with quality. It's a bit disingenuous to assume that someone hating something popular hates it solely because it's popular. They could genuinely hate it!

That said I don't care for Pat's Fantasy Hotlist since it comes off as rather shill-y (I blame the fact that most entries on his blog seem to be Amazon referral links for books, that just rubs me the wrong way) and his reviews feel wishy-washy, so I'm taking it with a grain of salt. Still, I don't think it's impossible that someone who really loved the previous books could be disappointed with the new one; 7 years is a heck of a long time for a sequel, so massive hype plus changing tastes over the years could make a world of difference. Which is why I'm being cautiously optimistic about Republic of Thieves instead of letting myself get excited about it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

After a 6 year wait I thought this was either going to be amazing or terrible.

Turns out I was wrong and it was merely alright! I am kinda surprised that after a wait of that length we wound up with a book that felt like it was mostly there for transitioning to the next.

The flashback was easily the more compelling of the two stories once it got going. The present day stuff felt rather unfocused. Outside of being sent to that ship, what Locke and Sabetha were doing to each other really felt like they were trying to outdo each other with pranks (which would have made a great short story but as a main part of the book it was a bit lacking). The Bondsmagi might have threatened Sabetha's life if Locke showed signs of cooperating with her, but that plot point seemed to have been forgotten considering how many dinner dates they had.

Really didn't help that outside of that stuff the major events are all things that will have a payoff in later novels. Not just the Falconer being sorta healed, but also the war and I'm sure we'll see the Bondmagi again in some capacity. Ultimately it was very much an in-between book of sorts.

The flashback was great stuff though. It really shows that it's a lot more fun when Locke has more people to play off of instead of only having Jean around.

Also the redhead stuff was the worst. I mean the redhead stuff in both the flashback and the present day. Both really came across as cheap ways to start up some drama.

I'm not sure how I feel about this book. Definitely not as good as the first, no question. But I can't decide how it measures up to the second. On one hand, it didn't meander as much. But on the other hand it wasn't as focused and didn't feel like a complete story. Either way, I don't regret reading it and I'm sure I'll read the next book, whenever it comes out.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Since Republic of Thieves suffered from being an inbetween book I'm glad that the wait looks like it'll be reasonable this time.

Hopefully.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yeah it really felt like the only purpose behind the redhead stuff was to artificially stir up some drama in a convoluted way. Locke can be dumb sometimes, just have him say something stupid instead! That's a much more reasonable way to make them mad at each other.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Even if it turns out to be an important plot point in a later book, that doesn't change the fact that it felt really awkwardly shoehorned into this one. That's what sets it apart from the rest of the grim stuff in the background; at least none of the other grim stuff was solely used for what could pass as an awkward misunderstanding in a romantic comedy.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

neongrey posted:

There are parts of the world where that sort of notion is still around today. I dunno-- I noticed that bit because I was looking for it, and it's definitely a harsh note. I don't know that it bothers me personally, and I'm not sure it's out of step with other harsh notes. It didn't feel gratuitous to me, but this is one of those subjects where I have to fall on a slightly wishy-washy 'but I understand if it felt that way to other people'.

I think the main issue a lot of people had is that it's a detail that was put in to force some drama. That's a little awkward way to start some drama, but whatever. And then the drama was resolved within a few pages so it just feels kinda pointless.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

But that's the thing, she had plenty of valid reasons already. I don't have a problem with any of her other reasons since they felt a lot more natural instead of being shoehorned in! It's just the redhead stuff that stands out due to existing only for the sake of artificial drama that's quickly resolved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Considering how Locke fucks up in the other books I think that anyone who had that sort of image of him wasn't paying a lot of attention!

• Locked thread