Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

HeroOfTheRevolution posted:

I think it's clear that while Locke may be the protagonist of the series, Jean is the hero. I think this set up works well, though the narrative in the last book was so lacking that even two well written and entertaining leads (three if we count Sabers) couldn't make up for it.

The more I think about book three the less satisfied with it I am.

So it seems it's sort of a schtick that their Big Plots never work. Or rather, they do 'work' but it turns out to be worthless. On one hand, that makes things less than satisfying, especially when the heists don't measure up. On the other hand, if that is part of the greater narrative I feel that he should really emphasize it far more than it has been, either narratively, thematically, or in character.

And the horrible Lock/Sabertha romance was really unforgivable. If there's one surefire way to piss me off when it comes to relationship writing it's to claim "women are capricious and that's how they are so they get a pass at being horrible jerks." No. That's not acceptable for either side of the relationship. But it seems to be horribly commonplace when it comes to fantasy (and maybe other genres? I dunno). The cheesy love-at-first-sight thing is...well, barely in character for Locke but everything else dealing with Sabertha was unsatisfying.

And I liked the Montcraine Players subplot better than the nearly-nonexistent main plot too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread