Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
The two guys that individually keep track of login pings both rank them as:

Brandywine
Gladden
Landroval

At least they did last time I looked last winter/spring. If anything, Gladden would have dropped due to no longer being Recommended Server IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I'm selfishly hoping they'll flip the switch for transfers on a weekday morning or afternoon so I don't end up being in the middle of a massive rush, which will probably include some server instability.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

There's a discussion going on right now in Bree between most of the currently-active kin leaders with some intention to see if there's a common preference on transferring, so that people who've been grouping out of kin the last long while, like has become common, can end up on the same server. If there's any sort of consensus I'll report.

Edit: Most kins are officially undecided but strongly leaning toward Landy, depending on how the announcements go. Most of them don't want to decide until after all the closing servers are identified.

bombhand fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 1, 2015

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

That just makes it more important for all us Nazgun people to be on the ball when they enable transfers so we can all get to Landroval before it gets overloaded. It's just a given that the highest population server other than Brandywine is going to get pub rushed.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I've got a few non-goon friends I'm talking to about a server and I know that Kuma does as well, so while I am the idiot who drove up the Landroval hype train let's just wait until the list comes out Monday, until then everyone talk to your friends and make sure you've got their contact info and try to get as many people on board for the same server idea as possible. I'd still prefer Landy the most, but in the end I'll go where the most kinmates and friends go. If it does fill up or crash in a day we do have the option of waiting a day or two and picking the 3rd most populated server.

Also: Pelargir owns big time and is more fun than the Helm's Deep battles.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

No one has mentioned it, but what if Silverlode remains one of the designated servers? Should we stay?

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

extra stout posted:

If it does fill up or crash in a day we do have the option of waiting a day or two and picking the 3rd most populated server.

Perhaps if this were a relatively new MMO, I'd like that option. Unfortunately this game is 8 years old and they're getting rid of two-thirds of the North American servers. I have a gut feeling that Brandywine, Landroval and Gladden will be the populated servers, and the other two might not be noticeably more active than Silverlode is now. That is, if the datamined server population numbers are in any way accurate. There was a pretty big drop off after the top 3 servers the last time I looked.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

No one has mentioned it, but what if Silverlode remains one of the designated servers? Should we stay?

I'd assume Silverlode would have to be one of the top 5 most active servers in order to be a destination. Last I saw, Silverlode was around 10th place out of 15 North American servers for daily logins. Even if it was somehow a destination, I feel that we'd just be sitting around hoping some people pick our server to make their new home. In my opinion 90% of kinships that are still around will target Landroval and Gladden as long as Brandywine isn't an option.

ruffz fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 2, 2015

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
I'm glad they're at least letting us transfer for free in august. I'll go with any server the Nazgun choose to go with.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Donut is for Homer as Asking yourself is to ...
I'll follow wherever the kin goes too.

And who knows maybe I'm going to play again :)

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Alright, so my impression here is that, since Brandy's not going to be an option, that Landy is the general preference? Since I have lead right now because of Hobo's login problems (nice timing there Turbine :mad:), I don't want a window of opportunity to pass by if there's a firm consensus on stuff.

So as I understand it, the options are:
1. Wait a bit to find out more info, and transfer to Landy only once we know S'lode is getting cut; or
2. Transfer the kin to Landy as soon as transfers are available.

Cons of the first one obviously is that Landy might not be accepting transfers by the time we know S'lode's getting cut, and cons of the second are that we might transfer when we don't strictly have to.

When it comes down to it it doesn't matter to me. So for all of you to whom it does matter, please voice or confirm your preference and especially Hobo, because as far as I'm concerned I'm just kind of your proxy until you're able to log back in or choose to pass lead to someone else.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I believe tomorrow you will only be able to copy your characters to the test server, and an unannounced (probably announced tomorrow) date later you will be able to pick your server. So, no decisions needed yet as far as I know.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Yeah, I was hearing a lot of stuff about graduated closure decisions and other things that made me concerned but now that I've actually read the announcement I'm not too worried. I suppose we still need to decide at some point but it's not pressing.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
http://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/world-closure-announcement

Nothing too new, there will be some kind of an order which we transfer and Silverlode is pretty near the bottom of the list, the servers that remain are:

Brandywine
Landroval
Gladden
Crickhollow
Arkenstone

If you're in Europe go look those up yourself, nerd.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

The order in which they're allowing each server to transfer seems to be the inverse order of population. I recall Meneldor and Vilya having larger populations than Silverlode. I'm wondering if Landroval will even be available for us to transfer to once people get there from the 7 servers that get to go before us. If it isn't available, then we'll have to decide if we should go to Gladden, or wait for Brandywine to open back up and go there. I'd personally vote to wait for Brandywine in that case. If there's only 5 servers left and we'd be on the 3rd most populated on Gladden, how long until that too turns into a ghost town like Silverlode has been for years?

ruffz fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 3, 2015

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I get the feeling they're trying to end up with 5 servers that are roughly evenly-populated, so that it won't be so important to make sure you end up on the busiest one. In which case it makes sense to start with the highest-pop closing servers, because it'll give them more control over the population distribution without having to cut transfers off mid-migration and risk splitting up active kins.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I'm honestly kind of nervous about this whole process and feel like Turbine might royally screw it up. To me, getting on a server like Brandywine or Landroval would make me start playing more actively. Not sure I'd have as much motivation if we only had the bottom 2 or 3 servers to choose from by the time our number comes up. In other MMOs I've played that have closed servers, it seems to end up with 1 or 2 still having a decent population after 6 months, and the rest becoming abandoned. Who knows how LOTRO will end up.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

rip silverlode best lode forever

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I originally played on Gladden back in MoM/SoM but I'd be sad if we ended up there because it doesn't seem quite as active as Landroval, though it's still much more active than Silverlode. I'd be tempted to wait for Brandywine if there was any indication of how long the testing could run.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I seriously think (and hope!) that everyone is worrying about it too much. They're going for balanced pops, and forcing active people from other servers to spread out to end up with 5 active servers. They don't want more ghost servers either. That's why they're watching things.

Anything after living on Silverlode will seem like a huge improvement.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

ruffz posted:

Not sure I'd have as much motivation if we only had the bottom 2 or 3 servers to choose from by the time our number comes up.

I think this is the answer:

xZAOx posted:

They're going for balanced pops, and forcing active people from other servers to spread out to end up with 5 active servers.

On the other hand, we could move to the lowest-population server and take over by sheer force of numbers.

Also, though they are opening transfers from the closing worlds two by two, it doesn't seem like they will CLOSE two before they open two more. So there's plenty of time for folks on earlier servers to wait around for the final goon decision.

Not gonna miss Imladris. Looking forward to Nazgun comrades.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

alucinor posted:

On the other hand, we could move to the lowest-population server and take over by sheer force of numbers.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the Nazgun isn't some juggernaut that could take over a server. There's less than 40 characters in the kinship that have been logged in within the past 30 days, some of which are alts.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Wherever Goons end up will be busier than Silverlode has been for the last couple years or so. Even the lowest pop NA server will be in pretty good shape until at least 2017. You can count on that.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Both of the above posts are true, and I've enjoyed the game through a combination of a rare goon meeting and making friends with a lot of level 100s from random kins. I think ending up on the same server as the friends of Nazgun members is probably more important to your odds of having gear made and content run than even if we were to lose half the kin, but I don't want to stress over the server stuff because Silverlode is full of super annoying people who don't know how to read the official website of the game right now. Just sit tight everybody and if one server fills up, we pick another.

Also Pel is a pretty fun little instance, got a first age symbol my third run on it and a socketed ring.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
I'm good with a landroval primary, gladden backup for moving the kin. So far I haven't gotten any contact back from Turbine regarding my login issue. I'm currently on vacation this week so I don't even have my desktop with me, next week is going to be busy, and the week after that I'm on Isle Royal with no internet...so most of Aug is shot for me getting logged in... =(

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

That sucks! But with a confirmed server priority I will do my best not to gently caress up the transfer when the option arises.

buckle up, we're going to arkenstone

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

The suspense is kinda driving me nuts. I hope they're not planning on just giving us a 24 hour notice that they're about to flip the switch for transfers. Sometimes I don't turn my computer on for a few days at a time and might miss an announcement.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

ruffz posted:

Sometimes I don't turn my computer on for a few days at a time and might miss an announcement.

What the? There are people who turn their computer OFF ?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

flowinprose posted:

What the? There are people who turn their computer OFF ?

My thoughts exactly

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
With utorrent running my desktop is never off unless I'm going to be gone more than two weeks...

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

ruffz posted:

Sometimes I don't turn my computer on for a few days at a time

Computers have an "off" button? I thought that was for sudo reboot. Huh, learn something new every day.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Bludborn is doing a Turbine sponsored marathon run of LOTRO for 24 hours, currently on a little break. He's got 6 white tree of Gondor shirts, 6 RoR posters and a lot of 1,000 TP cards he gives away occasionally, his goal is to raise $2k for the children's hospital I can't remember the name of, so if you want to donate, just watch a guy kill orcs, or routinely stop by trying to win free stuff feel free. His link is twitch.tv/bludborn.

Also I can't decide if entering Dol Amroth or doing the session play in The Dead Marshes was more special, but god drat do I love this game. All you nerds leveling once a month should really catch up and enjoy the current content before Minas Tirith is out later this year.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Also this is mostly obvious stuff but it is news and will hopefully cut down on the transfer anxiety

http://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/kinship-transfer-guide

edit

Ok Frelorn (the guy who does a lot better job than Sapience did) is on the stream in my previous post. He's mentioned some things. Minas Tirith is still coming this Fall, the servers haven't had new hardware in about six years and the new servers could have handled the entire Europe servers on two servers, and all of the US servers on two servers two, but despite the new hardware being sturdy enough they felt that would be too crowded.

So if the servers are closed for transfer, like people imagined about Landroval, it'll because simply of number of characters and not actually out of fear of lag. Also after Minas Tirith's update (I'm guessing it'll involve exploring and preparing the city, lots of really good epic quests) the next update is The Battle of Pelennor Fields.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Aug 9, 2015

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I've been getting the MMO itch and thinking of coming back to this game. I played with the Nazgun back in the 65 days. Looks like I picked an interesting time to think about returning.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

arisu posted:

I've been getting the MMO itch and thinking of coming back to this game. I played with the Nazgun back in the 65 days. Looks like I picked an interesting time to think about returning.

You did! It'll probably be worth coming back right around the time that Silverlode is allowed to transfer and the goons decide on their new home. I think a lot of potential players have been on the fence, waiting for the announcement and waiting to see what the consolidated servers are going to be like.

I've been logging in myself for the last few days(on Laurelin) for the first time in months. If goons move to Landroval, I'll probably play with you guys a lot.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005
Yeah I've been logging in too in the last few days (after a few month absence) and leveling my Lore-Master from 88 to 92 as of yesterday. West Rohan is kinda fun I have to say.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

AskYourself posted:

Yeah I've been logging in too in the last few days (after a few month absence) and leveling my Lore-Master from 88 to 92 as of yesterday. West Rohan is kinda fun I have to say.

Post your name and I mail you pipeweed and stuff. Also would everyone be fine with a new thread if I can write one up? Won't be right away, might wait until there's at least a preview of Minas Tirith out. The data on the first post of this one is outdated and doesn't mention the new Beorning class or half the game.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
An updating level guide would be good for newer people too. I've been taking my latest character through North Downs and Trollshaws because I didn't want to run Evendim again and there's been some work done trying to make those zones not suck as horribly if you don't want to re-do content. I'd say prolly just from my experience a current guide would be:

1-5: you have no choice (or skip it if you're TP flush)
5-12: low level zones (Shire if you're wanting to chill and deliver pies, Ered Luin if you want a more standard MMO experience, Archet if you hate yourself)
13-20: Breeland (still no real choice here)
21-30: Lone Lands preferable, could also do Trestlebridge area of North Downs
31-40: Evendim preferable, could also do Estelin area of North Downs and then Trollshaws
40-42: Misty Mountains preferable, Angmar if you hate yourself
43-47: Forochel (not sure if there's any other options here?)
48+: Eregion and then Moria and then I dunno, I've never had a character leave Moria :effort:

Most of these zones require TP but given that zones are literally the only thing I spend TP on other than maybe mithril coins or something since they give you horses and riding skill for free now and I've played for free for years, I don't begrudge the occasional $5 to unlock a zone for my entire account.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 10, 2015

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Good guide, I would say Angmar is worth just the book quests as they're pretty neat and were an iconic part of the original game at launch (and epic quests don't cost money, the boring grindy ones Lum is suggesting you avoid do require the quest pack). Angmar is also one of the most expensive quest packs, so I'd agree avoiding it is probably a good idea these days.

I will say I really love the Trollshaws even if some people don't, and it's much cheaper than Angmar. At least consider it, Bilbo's trolls and Rivendell are there and you're absolutely going to be there anyway for the book quests.

Also if you'd like to cut down on your costs of buying quest packs from a whopping 20 dollars a year down to 10 or something, keep in mind that you can buy and use a lot of rep items (you get TP everytime you go up a rank with a faction, 5, 10, 15 then 20 at kindred) so you can buy those up on the auction and give them to your alts even. Level 20 required for The Mathom Society and for Bree, and I believe 35 or so required to use the ones for Thorin's Hall.

AskYourself
May 23, 2005

extra stout posted:

Post your name and I mail you pipeweed and stuff. Also would everyone be fine with a new thread if I can write one up? Won't be right away, might wait until there's at least a preview of Minas Tirith out. The data on the first post of this one is outdated and doesn't mention the new Beorning class or half the game.

My main character's name is Nazgun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Lum_ posted:

An updating level guide would be good for newer people too. I've been taking my latest character through North Downs and Trollshaws because I didn't want to run Evendim again and there's been some work done trying to make those zones not suck as horribly if you don't want to re-do content. I'd say prolly just from my experience a current guide would be:

1-5: you have no choice (or skip it if you're TP flush)
5-12: low level zones (Shire if you're wanting to chill and deliver pies, Ered Luin if you want a more standard MMO experience, Archet if you hate yourself)
13-20: Breeland (still no real choice here)
21-30: Lone Lands preferable, could also do Trestlebridge area of North Downs
31-40: Evendim preferable, could also do Estelin area of North Downs and then Trollshaws
40-42: Misty Mountains preferable, Angmar if you hate yourself
43-47: Forochel (not sure if there's any other options here?)
48+: Eregion and then Moria and then I dunno, I've never had a character leave Moria :effort:

Most of these zones require TP but given that zones are literally the only thing I spend TP on other than maybe mithril coins or something since they give you horses and riding skill for free now and I've played for free for years, I don't begrudge the occasional $5 to unlock a zone for my entire account.

Some thoughts on that list:

Barrow Downs isn't the most optimal place for experience but it's still not bad (I like it more than Breeland) and the atmosphere is cool. Sure, the Old Forest isn't an old school elite-filled newbie blender any more but it's still a cool area to run through for quests. For The Barrow Downs proper I think a couple of the quest spots do actually have a handful of quests that make the trip worthwhile.

32: The GA instances should now be available to you in the Lone Lands. Run them (several times). If you can't find on-level people to run it with there's no shame in just asking over leveled kin members to run it with you a few times. Doing so gets you tokens you can turn in to NPCs near the instance's entrance to get Teal-grade weapons (and shields). Do this because those weapons can easily last you through the entirety of Evendim once you can equip them. The instances are also pretty decent XP for a party.

41-43: Just go to Forochel. If you used any sort of XP booster items/events while in Evendim you should leave Evendim at around 41, though this requires running the Annuminas quests which can be significantly harder than anything else a new player's experienced up to that point.

43-45: Eregion. Yes, there will be a fair number of orange enemies/quests when you start out, and maybe an unlucky red enemy to kill now and then but you'll want to get some practice fighting red-named enemies because...

45: Vol 2(Moria) intro quest chain in SE Evendim. Drop everything and do this. Whether you're farming skirmishes (dear god don't do this) or delivering pies for hungry Hobbits, stop and go run the vol 2 intro. In a kin (with goons)? Tell them you're starting it and see if anyone's free to craft you some level-appropriate gear since you won't want to be running around in sub-level-40 gear for this* because everything will be at least 4 levels higher than you and most will be 5, meaning red names and you missing them often. Despite the hardship it is worth it because once you finish you'll get a set of "intro LIs" and those will be vastly superior to any pre-50 gear you could get anywhere else. Level 50 teal weapons? The intro LI is better. Class items? Most pre-Moria class items are basically a joke to begin with and you could skip using one and never see a difference, while a LI class item is going to be a huge help.

45-48: Finish up Eregion and maybe take a few trips to Forochel if you're running low on quests. Forochel's got more down time and traveling but it's still a decent zone if you don't mind the lack of gathering spots for stuff like wood.

48-50: Really this one's up to you. Once you finished the intro for Moria you can go right inside whenever you feel like it. Going in at 48 should let you start the Moria story quests and there is absolutely zero risk of you ever running out of quests in Moria before you hit 60 unless you skip every single instance and their quests for some odd reason.

New players can and probably should avoid Angmar like the plague. Misty Mountains (if it never got a revamp) is alright if you finished Evendim and want to get another level before going to Forochel, but could potentially be skipped as well. Especially if a player is running instances or some skirmishes. When I leveled my champ on Silverlode I think I went Lone Lands->Evendim 100%(except lizard island gently caress that place)->Misty Mountains for a handful of quests->Forochel->Eregion->Moria. Running the Epic Quests while leveling, even if you have to go out of the way for it (IE: going to Trollshaws while leveling in Evendim) it can be worth doing since that EXP will add up over time and new players really should go through the story because Lotro's all about the story and not diehard raiding. Really the only bump in leveling after level 10 can be figuring out where to grab quests in the Breelands, but once you're in to the Midgewater Marsh quests you can probably go hit some of the Old Forest/Barrow Downs stuff if you need to before going to the Lone Lands (more specifically, the Inn right to the east of the marsh). Once you're running those Inn quests the only bump a player might run in to is 40-42 if they don't want to hit the Misty Mountains. Maybe the revamped North Downs and Trollshaws are good for that now though. After Evendim, once a player is able to run Forochel quests they're good to go. Hit Forochel until 42-43 and then off to Eregion.

* on my champion back when I started laying years ago, I ran the intro using the Fem armor set from Angmar. It was doable (I skipped one of the orc cave quests because I kept dying) but having actual good gear would've been a godsend. IIRC, level 45 is when instances start dropping loot as well so if you're really lucky you might be able to get some high level kin members to run great barrow (or whatever) with you and the stats on that gear should be significantly better than crafted gear as lower level crafted gear stats are far more dated.

• Locked thread