Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I used to have a guide pretty much memorized in my head, however they've revamped every zone from the original game as far as I know. Trollshaws used to be a place you'd only visit for the book quests because the normal quests were so spread out, but I recall them streamlining things in that zone so it's worth going through now. Forochel is an awesome zone in my opinion (you'll either love it or hate it) but it's huge and time consuming.

Anyone hear anything about a date for server transfers? I think they said this month they'd be happening. I've been checking this thread every other day or so to see if it's started yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I haven't seen them announce an actual date, but I might have missed something. They're going to open transfers between the staying worlds before they start opening transfers off the closing worlds, so I think we have a little while yet, possibly even a month or more before Silverlode's transfers open.

I'm going to be away for a few days around this weekend, with minimal internet, so hopefully nothing happens.

I did Forochel on one toon and Angmar on another, and I'm glad I did. Angmar's really cool but it's kind of depressing, so I'm glad I did it when I had another toon I could play when I got tired of Angmar. I really like that there are overlapping zones so that you can choose different paths that give you a different experience. Unfortunately once you're past 70 the "different zones" are just different horse-lord towns, then Fangorn, then Gondor. And while Gondor's got a ton of level 100 content now, there's pretty much just West Gondor for 95-100.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Unless they tweaked things, West Gondor won't even take you from 95 to 100. I remember lots of us bitching about that. if you did dailies and stuff you'd get there. Granted, there's enough content in the game to level 2 or 3 toons and never do the same quest twice, so it wouldn't be a problem anymore as you can just do other stuff until 96 or 97, or move on to Central Gondor to get to 100.

I did everything on 1 toon (and in order at that!) but it was before revamps of North Downs and Trollshaws. I remember hating North Downs a lot more than Trollshaws. North Downs was tons of group quests and varying quest levels. Trollshaws was at least fun to explore I thought.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Had a dream last night where I played LOTRO again. It felt nice. :unsmith:

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

xZAOx posted:

I remember hating North Downs a lot more than Trollshaws. North Downs was tons of group quests and varying quest levels. Trollshaws was at least fun to explore I thought.

North Downs has always been terribly bland and boring in my opinion. I did my best to avoid it after my second time through back in 2008. Trollshaws is a very pretty zone and much more significant in the lore. It was pretty freakin cool seeing the three trolls and Rivendell for the first time.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

xZAOx posted:

Unless they tweaked things, West Gondor won't even take you from 95 to 100. I remember lots of us bitching about that. if you did dailies and stuff you'd get there. Granted, there's enough content in the game to level 2 or 3 toons and never do the same quest twice, so it wouldn't be a problem anymore as you can just do other stuff until 96 or 97, or move on to Central Gondor to get to 100.

I did everything on 1 toon (and in order at that!) but it was before revamps of North Downs and Trollshaws. I remember hating North Downs a lot more than Trollshaws. North Downs was tons of group quests and varying quest levels. Trollshaws was at least fun to explore I thought.

In West Gondor I did the same thing I did in West Rohan: Killed every single warband I could, used an XP pot, then turned them all in for almost a full level instantly. Granted you don't actually need to do that in the Helm's Deep content, but doing it in West Gondor ensured I wasn't going to run out of quests.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

xZAOx posted:

I think West Gondor would probably work better leveling-wise if the Dol Amroth dailies unlocked at level 98 or something. It feels silly to have to push to level cap before getting access to quests that aren't end-game content anymore, but rather end-game prep.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Anyone here have any luck with making a "perfect" legendary weapon? I'm scared to imbue mine because while I finally found a two hander I like (after six first age attempts) I ended up getting 3 minor legacies on all 3 reforges. This used to be a terrible thing years and years ago in Moria, but I'm told it doesn't matter now. The guides on the subject are already outdated and 20 pages long. Essentially some legacies should be replaced with your main stats nowadays anyway, maybe even vitality for everyone as you cannot survive the current tier 2 difficulty of the new end game content with less than 23,000 health I'm told. Means for the usual glass cannon build I like, I either need two sets or just make some compromises on insane damage.

Also, best source for those 3 crystal things I need? Nobody selling any on the auction right now, another thing that will greatly change as soon as the servers merge. Gold to waste, gold to be earned!

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

I don't know if it's changed in recent updates, but for crystals, T3 skraids if you have enough people and sambrog runs if you don't, I think. Tiggerr was running skraids on the regular most recently, don't know if he still is.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

extra stout posted:

Nobody selling any on the auction right now, another thing that will greatly change as soon as the servers merge. Gold to waste, gold to be earned!

That's something I hadn't thought about with server merges. Silverlode's auction house is usually pretty barren. If you want to level a profession and need lower level mats, good luck finding any and if you do they'll be priced outrageously. When I was getting guild rep for weaponsmith last year, I ended up saying gently caress it and farmed a bunch of Moria-level ore rather than pay the retarded AH prices. I'm sure a much more active server will fix that.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

ruffz posted:

That's something I hadn't thought about with server merges. Silverlode's auction house is usually pretty barren. If you want to level a profession and need lower level mats, good luck finding any and if you do they'll be priced outrageously. When I was getting guild rep for weaponsmith last year, I ended up saying gently caress it and farmed a bunch of Moria-level ore rather than pay the retarded AH prices. I'm sure a much more active server will fix that.

The flip side of this is that there will be a lot more people mining ore, so if you don't have gold to buy stuff on the AH, good luck trying to find any deposits

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

flowinprose posted:

The flip side of this is that there will be a lot more people mining ore, so if you don't have gold to buy stuff on the AH, good luck trying to find any deposits

Well then it's a good thing I've been playing since launch and have 1,000 gold that has very few other uses.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

flowinprose posted:

As someone who has always played on much busier servers, I have never really found this to be a problem. There's also a higher demand for mats at lower, more reasonable prices, so it's a win-win for everyone. :)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ruffz posted:

When I leveled my captain a few years back in the time it took me to go from lvl 43 to 48 I think I made over 150 gold just from selling black ash and probably another 150 or so from ore collecting as I ran around Eregion.

When server transfers open it'll be interesting to see how the markets react.

Markkei
Aug 11, 2010

extra stout posted:

Anyone here have any luck with making a "perfect" legendary weapon? I'm scared to imbue mine because while I finally found a two hander I like (after six first age attempts) I ended up getting 3 minor legacies on all 3 reforges. This used to be a terrible thing years and years ago in Moria, but I'm told it doesn't matter now. The guides on the subject are already outdated and 20 pages long. Essentially some legacies should be replaced with your main stats nowadays anyway, maybe even vitality for everyone as you cannot survive the current tier 2 difficulty of the new end game content with less than 23,000 health I'm told. Means for the usual glass cannon build I like, I either need two sets or just make some compromises on insane damage.

There are two things that matter as far as imbued legendary weapons:

1. Which, if any, legacies you currently have on your non-imbued legendary will be changed upon imbuement, and if that change is good or not. To see which legacies are affected, check out https://lotrotools.pw/legacies.php

2. If you're using a 2h weapon, the innate stats on the weapon. This is still totally up to RNG and I really hope this will change in the future. It really sucks to ID a legendary as say, a dps champion and roll stats like +power, +parry, and +vitality. You're basically missing out on several hundred morale, 1k crit rating, and a chunk of might which are other possible rolls.

#2 is why I haven't imbued my DPS halberd, it has some pretty crappy stats on it. For a weapon that will stay with me forever, I'd like for it to be as perfect as it can get. On the other hand my tank 2h sword rolled great stats (morale, vit, and parry) so I imbued that pretty much right away. Didn't mind the loss of + Pressing Attack targets as I gained other legacies that would make me more survivable.

Otherwise, anything else can be changed on an imbued weapon. There's no more major/minor slots on an imbued legendary. If you're starting from scratch, people recommend getting your legendary to max level (70 with a scroll of delving) BEFORE imbuing it, since this will save you a scroll of empowerment post imbue. And even if you got a bunch of legacies you don't want, it's better to leave those alone until after you imbue since legacies won't revert back to Tier 2 on an imbued legendary. This will basically save you a bunch of scrolls of empowerment.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Thanks for the info, matches all the advice I've been getting in game with the exception of some people debate on if star-lit crystals actually "work", which seems insane to debate to me because 3 crystals before I imbue and 3 after means about 1200 gold if I continue to not loot any. The only thing I don't like of what I've been told, assuming it's true, is that you can no longer rename an imbued weapon until Turbine patches that.

edit

Also I'm with you on having a tiny amount of regen or agility or something being awful for a champion, but the current end game t2 instance requires 20-24k health while also having high mitigations and high dps, so I actually kept the axe that had crit/morale/vitality, because I stacked a lot of damage essences and would've needed to do trait deeds and poo poo for a year to even hit 20k dps otherwise.

maybe final edit

Also many of the top champs replace their less important/useful legacies with might/vit, which I did and it makes the process quicker as you said. But am I essentially just being a perfectionist showing off by maxing these out? Reminds me of the yellow line champion trait where you get something like 80 might for 1 point, then the second point gives another tenth of a point or something. Seems the same with stats on your weapon, 150 might is basically free...then getting it to 170 costs you a fortune?

extra stout fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Aug 15, 2015

moebius2778
May 3, 2013

extra stout posted:

Thanks for the info, matches all the advice I've been getting in game with the exception of some people debate on if star-lit crystals actually "work", which seems insane to debate to me because 3 crystals before I imbue and 3 after means about 1200 gold if I continue to not loot any. The only thing I don't like of what I've been told, assuming it's true, is that you can no longer rename an imbued weapon until Turbine patches that.

Just checked. You can rename imbued weapons (small feather/quill icon to the right of the name in the LI window).

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

moebius2778 posted:

Just checked. You can rename imbued weapons (small feather/quill icon to the right of the name in the LI window).

Thanks, glad to hear they were wrong. (Or just have bad vision). What gems do you use? For runes I have some awesome options, new ones, old retired ones like the Mountains ones, but for gem slot everything is just big crit and tiny stat, or a balance of a small amount of morale and crit defence.

moebius2778
May 3, 2013

extra stout posted:

Thanks, glad to hear they were wrong. (Or just have bad vision). What gems do you use? For runes I have some awesome options, new ones, old retired ones like the Mountains ones, but for gem slot everything is just big crit and tiny stat, or a balance of a small amount of morale and crit defence.

The crit ones, for the most part. Gem of Faith is pretty much a tanking gem (and my tanks use them), and the other have +max power which I try to avoid.

Markkei
Aug 11, 2010

extra stout posted:

Also many of the top champs replace their less important/useful legacies with might/vit, which I did and it makes the process quicker as you said. But am I essentially just being a perfectionist showing off by maxing these out? Reminds me of the yellow line champion trait where you get something like 80 might for 1 point, then the second point gives another tenth of a point or something. Seems the same with stats on your weapon, 150 might is basically free...then getting it to 170 costs you a fortune?

True, each additional starlit crystal only adds a tiny increase to stats and dps on a 2h weapon...I haven't even added them yet on my own. I figure that again, since this weapon will be permanent I can take my time and get those extra starlits from normal instance running.

Same with the stat legacies - while you don't have to worry about legacy points anymore on an imbued legendary, you'd still have to pump scrolls of empowerment to raise the tier of the legacy (which would now determine the potency of the legacy). Not worth it for the miniscule stat increase unless you had nothing else to do with scrolls.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

So when you make your growing LI can you no longer change legacies in it or what? I haven't played much after I hit 100 in West Gondor and all I know is the last time I logged in they'd changed what a a bunch of legacies on LIs were so my captain's LIs were no longer optimal.

moebius2778
May 3, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

So when you make your growing LI can you no longer change legacies in it or what? I haven't played much after I hit 100 in West Gondor and all I know is the last time I logged in they'd changed what a a bunch of legacies on LIs were so my captain's LIs were no longer optimal.

Once you imbue, you need an imbued legacy replacement scroll to change a legacy. You'll get three or four for doing Eastern Gondor, but if you can, I'd try to arrange legacies pre-imbuing to be the ones I wanted to keep.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Oh, ok that doesn't seem too bad then I guess. I'll have to look up which legacies are worth grabbing as a captain after the changes next time I log in. Then maybe run whatever until a 1A symbol drops unless they're decently cheap on the market.

Markkei
Aug 11, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Oh, ok that doesn't seem too bad then I guess. I'll have to look up which legacies are worth grabbing as a captain after the changes next time I log in. Then maybe run whatever until a 1A symbol drops unless they're decently cheap on the market.

On Landroval they're hovering around 100g or so, can't speak for other servers. You can also get a 1A symbol pretty easily from the new Roving Threats thing, seems to be people forming raids for those on some nights.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Markkei posted:

On Landroval they're hovering around 100g or so, can't speak for other servers. You can also get a 1A symbol pretty easily from the new Roving Threats thing, seems to be people forming raids for those on some nights.

Roving Threats are a pretty cool way to explore Middle-Earth at 100 while meeting people and fighting bosses, while still not really needing nerd gear, you can join as soon as you hit 100. Only downside is Silverlode not really doing much so depends which day you log on, problem #150 that will be cured by server mergers soon.

Also you trade 50 brands for the weapon itself, not the symbol, so it's actually pretty cheap and you can skip buying emerald shards or ingots. The weapons do have a new look instead of the crafted ones though, so pick your favorite or pick one and then slot the other cosmetically later if you'd like.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 16, 2015

Markkei
Aug 11, 2010

extra stout posted:

Roving Threats are a pretty cool way to explore Middle-Earth at 100 while meeting people and fighting bosses, while still not really needing nerd gear, you can join as soon as you hit 100. Only downside is Silverlode not really doing much so depends which day you log on, problem #150 that will be cured by server mergers soon.

Also you trade 50 brands for the weapon itself, not the symbol, so it's actually pretty cheap and you can skip buying emerald shards or ingots. The weapons do have a new look instead of the crafted ones though, so pick your favorite or pick one and then slot the other cosmetically later if you'd like.

Oh yeah, I had actually gotten my first age 2h tanking sword from the Roving Threats quartermaster, I shoulda known that! :downs: I jumped on it since they had slashed the cost of most of the high ticket items to 50 brands, down from 200. Good change!

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Markkei posted:

Speaking of, is Landroval where the Nazgun are going? I kind of want to start a new character but I don't want to do it on Silverlode; if we're going there, I'll make it on Landy and then meet up when the servers merge.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
It's not yet clear where they'll be able to go by the time transfers off Silverlode open up, as I understand it. My main is on Landy so I hope you guys end up there (it might get me playing again even!) but we'll have to see.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Dallan Invictus posted:

It's not yet clear where they'll be able to go by the time transfers off Silverlode open up, as I understand it. My main is on Landy so I hope you guys end up there (it might get me playing again even!) but we'll have to see.

I made a character on Landroval anyway and wow, what a difference it makes. There are people!

edit: Does crafting matter any more?

Prism fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 18, 2015

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Crafting is kind of optional right now but has some specific uses. Crafting hope tokens, crafting journals, supreme essences, legendary items mostly. I wouldn't spend a ton of time leveling a craft unless you enjoy it.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

bombhand posted:

Crafting is kind of optional right now but has some specific uses. Crafting hope tokens, crafting journals, supreme essences, legendary items mostly. I wouldn't spend a ton of time leveling a craft unless you enjoy it.

I don't mind it, just didn't know if it was used much anymore. Maybe I will just Explorer for the money selling materials if I don't weaponsmith.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
You need to have high standing in a crafting guild in order to make the really good runes(or whatever that 4th slot on an LI is called) for your Legendary Items. So yes start crafting.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Brave New World posted:

You need to have high standing in a crafting guild in order to make the really good runes(or whatever that 4th slot on an LI is called) for your Legendary Items. So yes start crafting.

I would say if you plan to play casual just pick any craft and do it when you feel like it, farming for pipeweed or cooking for lembas bread. If you plan on really going hard in PVP or want to run the end game, then yeah max out one crafting guild so you can have that slotted. The difference for me in terms of options for that is +40 might (no crafting guild but can play from other players) or if I had my profession maxed out I could have like +70 might 600 physical mastery, it's a big difference.

Also I have no proof of this, one week ago I heard Frelorn say that Minas Tirith is partially finished and still being devloped for a Fall update, and that crafting is also being looked at. Some guy who is supposedly always right about these things claims that Minas Tirith has now been set for Christmas or January and that Update 17 will be all new crafting items, super good cloaks with slots for essences included. Again though, no proof but it does fit what you would do if you want another couple months to polish up The White City.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Cool I still have time to catch up. I've finally continued Central Gondor in earnest. I'm in the area west of Linhir. Hopefully I can finish East Gondor by the time Minas Tirith comes out and even more importantly I hope to rack up enough TP points to get it. I may have to get going on my alts again.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

extra stout posted:

Update 17 will be all new crafting items, super good cloaks with slots for essences included. Again though, no proof but it does fit what you would do if you want another couple months to polish up The White City.

You mean we finally won't be using the West Rohan crafting tiers anymore? My weaponsmith character is still level 85 and back on the East Rohan tier, looks like it's a good time to catch up. As far as Minas Tirith goes, I hope they take extra time and do it justice. They pretty much blew it with Helm's Deep in my opinion, it was rather underwhelming and I expected it to be much larger.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

ruffz posted:

You mean we finally won't be using the West Rohan crafting tiers anymore? My weaponsmith character is still level 85 and back on the East Rohan tier, looks like it's a good time to catch up. As far as Minas Tirith goes, I hope they take extra time and do it justice. They pretty much blew it with Helm's Deep in my opinion, it was rather underwhelming and I expected it to be much larger.

Yep, overdue but gonna be great, just like everything coming out this year really. I know that Frelorn has already been given a tour, riding up through all seven tiers of Minas Tirith so they're probably just detailing the city but then also the bigger undertaking of making the instances and quests wasn't mentioned, so that's probably the time consumer.

Also everyone seems to have always known this but me, but do book quests especially if they're new.

You have acquired: [Essence Reclamation Scroll].
You have acquired: [Universal Solvent].
You have acquired: [Heavy Nadhin Gauntlets].
You have gained 1 Class trait point.

For spending a little time with Aragorn? Yeah that sounds like a pretty good deal. Also Book 3 Chapter 3 gives you a Star-Lit Crystal for level 100 legendaries, which costs 200-300 goldif you're not lucky enough to loot your own lately.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
As of this morning, there's a transfer characters button on the launcher. Silverlode isn't one of the ones leaving yet, but I guess it's only a matter of time now.

Also, cloaks and banners just for being around and a title to show your old server.

Edit: Apparently US transfers begin this afternoon.

Prism fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 19, 2015

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Does anyone know if they're still letting US servers transfer 2 at a time? I don't know if they announced how long it would be in between each 2, I'm curious if it'll be the next day for the next wave, or if they'll space it out more. I just want to be on my computer ready to go when they let us.

edit: sounds like it's going to be a while yet. Only transfers between the destination worlds are allowed today. "We will be opening transfers off of the closing worlds starting in the next few weeks based off the performance of this initial set."

ruffz fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Aug 19, 2015

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
That button spooked me, I've got a hunch about half of my friends will just immediately pick a populated server without talking to their kins and friends, but it'll be nice to meet new folks. I wonder if I can send some message in a bottle type of letters to everyone who hasn't logged in in a few years and it'll stay alive after I transfer and until they log in next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

I wonder what the chances are of Landroval filling up with people from other destination servers, before any of the closing servers get a shot. I'm sure there's people on those other 3 servers that want to move there. Perhaps the new server hardware will be beefy enough that we won't have to worry about getting shut out of Landroval.

edit: they already disabled transfers due to server issues. Figured this wasn't going to go smoothly.

ruffz fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Aug 19, 2015

• Locked thread