Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

CoffeeBooze posted:

Thanks for the reply. This in particular is incredibly useful. There are so many retailers out there now for parts, finding a few that will provide reasonably priced kits that are just what you need can be hard. On top of that I am totally new to rotary engines and they seem very, very different from what I am used to. They also seem fun as hell.

Anyway, I am thinking we will probably pick up an 04 or 05 with around 100,000, on the odometer and decent compression. Preferably a six speed. Right off the bat we will install a third party oil metering pump and then just drive it until the engine fails, which seems to be a bit of a crap shoot but will likely be sooner than later. At that point we will rebuild the engine using one of the various kits out there (the top price for a kit including everything seems to be $1200, I assume since we would like to keep the car for quite a while it will be worthwhile to replace everything) and then hopefully drive the car for another 70,000 miles or so. Does this seem like a reasonable plan?

So first off. 04-05 are the least desirable. It WILL need a new engine soon, if it has not had one recently. 06+ if possible.
Secondly: Choose quality, OEM seals and gaskets. The aftermarket is full of barely tested "solutions" that always seem to fail after 10-20k.
Third: There is NO point to a third party OMP.

PM me and I'll give you my number. It's 10x easier to explain everything over the phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

the spyder posted:

Third: There is NO point to a third party OMP.

Really curious about this, what's the reasoning. Not doubting you in any way, Mazda generally had the right idea vs aftermarket and you have way more experience in this than all of us enthusiasts.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
So we went ahead and made the plunge and picked up an RX-8. We found an '07 with a six speed at a very reasonable price on Craigslist and snatched it right up. The price was low enough that I felt the car would sell that same day so we went ahead and purchased the car without having a compression test done. I know this was a dumb idea and I hope I am not sounding all Goon In The Well™ like, but the price was low enough that we can set aside the price of a rebuild for when it is needed, fix up the cosmetic issues the car has and still have a little left over. So while this may be something I come to regret, so far I am pretty happy with the way things have gone. The car is ridiculously fun too, I can see why their following is so devoted to them.

With all that said, is there a good source online for various Mazda parts, trim bits in particular? A few sites like Atkins Rotray, Pineapple Racing, etc have been recommended and they look like excellent resources for rotary related parts. I need some more mundane stuff like a door handle, a sunglass case spring, etc etc. Ive been buying these willy nilly off EBay, but Id really prefer to find a good retailer that can act as a one stop shop for this stuff.

Also, whats a good iPod/Phone kit for the cars? Club RX-8 posters seem to like this setup: http://www.therpmstore.com/store/p/1063-XCarLink-BlueTooth-Integration-Kit-for-Mazda.html

The setup looks pretty good, and while ClubRX8 seems like it can be a good resource for a lot of things, when it comes to part recommendations they seem really, really echo chambery. I was hoping someone in this thread could provide a second opinion.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I've never visited that forum, but a single post led to my store alone selling 4 or 5 full sets of new ignition coils in under a week after someone posted on there saying replacing his original coils with new ones had dramaticly helped with his flooding issues. We had probably sold 3-4 individual coils across every store in our area combined in the year previous to this. So yeah, I'd say its a tad echo chambery. Not that I'm complaining, I got 3 of those sales at $130ish for each set. :toot:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Every single "problem" thread on that site is answered with "did you replace the plugs and coils yet?"

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Elmnt80 posted:

I've never visited that forum, but a single post led to my store alone selling 4 or 5 full sets of new ignition coils in under a week after someone posted on there saying replacing his original coils with new ones had dramaticly helped with his flooding issues.

Maybe you should start posting there and tell them about how windshield wipers can solve the not being able to see where you are going problem when it rains. It's time to get paid, son.

I am imagining an RX8 owner who has never turned a wrench reading the forum and spluttering that maybe fixing his decade+ old ignition system... would make his car run better? MOM I'M GOING TO THE PARTS STORE

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 12, 2016

Skeletard
Dec 21, 2004
Hello rotary thread, I have something to share. I posted this in Spyder's thread initially because I had asked there about things to watch out for when considering an RX7, as the opportunity to pick up an FC off a relative had come to me and now that I have the car in hand, there's really no way that I should have considered otherwise. The car is an 87 and prior to me taking ownership of it earlier this week it had sat for a good few years. Currently the work that I'm putting into it is freshening it up after sitting for sometime between 3-4 years. The good news is that the relative that owned it loved this car and has taken amazing care of it. He would probably still be cherishing it had medical issues not kept him from driving the car.

Hello world.

(Thanks ICBC for the almost CR4P plates. Kind of quietly pleased about the R7 in there.)

Side view with trim that needs some new double-sided tape.

Butt.

Door trim jankiness. Both sides are like this with the rubberized coating having peeled away from the now-corroded metal. This is the worst thing on the car that I have come across so far.

Engine bay? Engine bay!

Leading zeros are kind of wigging me out.

The car had a sticky rear caliper when I first got it, and I had it towed home instead of driven, as to avoid a fire breaking out within the first few hours of owning the thing. Now that it's home I've found the brakes are a little crunchy and vague from having sat for awhile and rusting up. I've been taking it on little scoots around my neighbourhood to familiarize myself with the clutch and slowly scrape the rust off the rotors and see if I can't get the caliper issue sorted out a little bit before actually doing work on it.

Today I had my first minor setback while out on these little exploratory drives: The alternator belt blew. When the alternator belt snapped it knocked off the belt to the air pump, which means the fan and waterpump weren't spinning either. I'm a little worried about having run it with no circulating coolant, but it happened only about 30 seconds away from home so hopefully I'm just being overly-paranoid. I spent the evening poking around under the hood and removing the AC and power steering belts so that I could find out the replacement belt I have is just a bit too long: I can't get enough tension on it, even with the alternator all the way up. I'll probably spring the money for a full set of new belts when I take this belt back for exchange, as peace of mind will be worth it.

Solosilent
Dec 16, 2005

CoffeeBooze posted:

Also, whats a good iPod/Phone kit for the cars? Club RX-8 posters seem to like this setup: http://www.therpmstore.com/store/p/1063-XCarLink-BlueTooth-Integration-Kit-for-Mazda.html

The setup looks pretty good, and while ClubRX8 seems like it can be a good resource for a lot of things, when it comes to part recommendations they seem really, really echo chambery. I was hoping someone in this thread could provide a second opinion.

I have this in my rx8!

Upsides: it keeps the center stack clean and stock, and it's never given me issues with connectivity. I get in the car and it's connected.

Downside: there's no input from the car to the device. So, I have to pull my phone out and hit play on it to start and press next on the phone if I want to skip a track.

I'm just happy these days to have a Bluetooth connection that never fails. I deal with newer cars at work with stock infotainment that has bluetooth and I frequently have connectivity issues (I'm looking at you, Sync).

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Skeletard posted:

Hello rotary thread, I have something to share. I posted this in Spyder's thread initially because I had asked there about things to watch out for when considering an RX7, as the opportunity to pick up an FC off a relative had come to me and now that I have the car in hand, there's really no way that I should have considered otherwise. The car is an 87 and prior to me taking ownership of it earlier this week it had sat for a good few years. Currently the work that I'm putting into it is freshening it up after sitting for sometime between 3-4 years. The good news is that the relative that owned it loved this car and has taken amazing care of it. He would probably still be cherishing it had medical issues not kept him from driving the car.

Hello world.

(Thanks ICBC for the almost CR4P plates. Kind of quietly pleased about the R7 in there.)

Side view with trim that needs some new double-sided tape.

Butt.

Door trim jankiness. Both sides are like this with the rubberized coating having peeled away from the now-corroded metal. This is the worst thing on the car that I have come across so far.

Engine bay? Engine bay!

Leading zeros are kind of wigging me out.

The car had a sticky rear caliper when I first got it, and I had it towed home instead of driven, as to avoid a fire breaking out within the first few hours of owning the thing. Now that it's home I've found the brakes are a little crunchy and vague from having sat for awhile and rusting up. I've been taking it on little scoots around my neighbourhood to familiarize myself with the clutch and slowly scrape the rust off the rotors and see if I can't get the caliper issue sorted out a little bit before actually doing work on it.

Today I had my first minor setback while out on these little exploratory drives: The alternator belt blew. When the alternator belt snapped it knocked off the belt to the air pump, which means the fan and waterpump weren't spinning either. I'm a little worried about having run it with no circulating coolant, but it happened only about 30 seconds away from home so hopefully I'm just being overly-paranoid. I spent the evening poking around under the hood and removing the AC and power steering belts so that I could find out the replacement belt I have is just a bit too long: I can't get enough tension on it, even with the alternator all the way up. I'll probably spring the money for a full set of new belts when I take this belt back for exchange, as peace of mind will be worth it.

That's really clean! At 55K, you've got plenty of life left. My '90 has 225K miles on it, original engine. I had the same problem with the door trims. In the short term, I took them off (they just slip over the pinch weld at the top of the door) and used a wire wheel and Scotch-Loks to remove the rest of the peeling rubber, then painted them with semi-gloss black.
You're probably fine with running it for a few minutes with no water pump. they don't like overheating, but they're not quite that fragile.
Check the oil (very) regularly (remember that they use oil by design), and don't let it overheat, and it will last a long time. It's the turbo models (or RX-8s) that have short lifespans.

Does the adjustable suspension still work?

Skeletard
Dec 21, 2004
Since the belt incident I've replaced all the belts, which was a lot easier and more pleasant than I thought it might be. The adjustable suspension seems to work: I can hear the motors switching things around when I move from normal to sport but I haven't really had a chance to give the car a real good drive. The tires are in pretty bad shape and I need to replace them before feeling like I can drive it around anywhere other than near my home. For the door trim I figure I'll try to find some new bits as I'm a little wary of breaking the clips that hold the trim on, but sanding and repainting isn't out of the question either if the trim's going to be a bitch to find or way to costly.

I've had the weaknesses of the electrical system pointed out to me (window, wiper and headlight switches) and I'm anticipating wiring/soldering in the relays required to avoid having the switches burn out. The windows have gotten slower according to the previous owner and I'm told that's one of the signs of wear in that circuit. The horn also doesn't seem to work but it will go off if I set the security system off. Does that sound like it might be horn-CPU related?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Skeletard posted:

Since the belt incident I've replaced all the belts, which was a lot easier and more pleasant than I thought it might be. The adjustable suspension seems to work: I can hear the motors switching things around when I move from normal to sport but I haven't really had a chance to give the car a real good drive. The tires are in pretty bad shape and I need to replace them before feeling like I can drive it around anywhere other than near my home. For the door trim I figure I'll try to find some new bits as I'm a little wary of breaking the clips that hold the trim on, but sanding and repainting isn't out of the question either if the trim's going to be a bitch to find or way to costly.

I've had the weaknesses of the electrical system pointed out to me (window, wiper and headlight switches) and I'm anticipating wiring/soldering in the relays required to avoid having the switches burn out. The windows have gotten slower according to the previous owner and I'm told that's one of the signs of wear in that circuit. The horn also doesn't seem to work but it will go off if I set the security system off. Does that sound like it might be horn-CPU related?

Not sure on the horn - I don't recall offhand how it's wired. Relays will probably help the windows. Clean and lube the lifts as well. I've never had a problem with the headlight switch, but the wiper switches can be problematic - the relays used in them are a little under-specced. There are pages on the web detailing how to replace the relays, if you're not afraid of desoldering and soldering on a circuit board.

I have an '88 Factory Service Manual and Wiring diagram up on my website - it shouldn't be too different from '87, if at all: http://wright-here.net/cars/rx7/manuals.html
Other sites have the same PDFs I do, as well.
Some other neat stuff, as well, like parts fiches, and the Yamamoto book from 1971 on the principles of the Wankel rotary.

Here's a good page on the wiper switch:
http://fc3spro.com/TECH/HOWTO/WIPER/wiper.html

I've done it. I used replacement relays that were enclosed, rather than the open one as original - I'm not sure if the part number in the above article is OEM style or enclosed.

e: This tutorial says the part number used in the above tutorial is the sealed one.

DirkDonkeyroot
Feb 25, 2007
Does anyone know of a replacement for the actual switch levers inside the power window switches for a s5? The switches seem to work ok once the relays are wired in but the levers inside the box have crumbled like 25 year old Japanese plastic likes to.

I'd wager a guess that the security system and the horn button activate the horn seperately but I'm not sure. I think you can hear the relay on the horn relay on the cpu fire when you push the button and probably test it past there if you can isolate the wires. Mazdatrix sells what seems to be an updated board for the cpu that looks a hell of a lot better made.

In addition to relays for the windows I would disassemble, clean and regrease the window regulators and adjust them according to the fsm.

Skeletard
Dec 21, 2004
I got new tires for the car over the weekend, as I need to get it into "ostensibly a daily driver" status, my daily-cressida has started to make some terrible clunking noises and I fear it might be the bottom end, so that car gets to sit for a little while so that I don't completely destroy it while I figure out what to do next. I don't have the facilities to try and crack into the engine on my own and I fear that the costs of repairs or of a swap might mean that this is the end of my time with a pretty tidy MX63.

In actual RX-related news, I had posted earlier in Spyder's thread that the clock wasn't working but today I parked up at home to see that the clock is working again. Maybe it just needed to bake in a parking lot for most of the day like a really ghetto solder re-flow, or maybe the car's just healing itself magically. My money's on the former, but magical healing properties are welcomed.

As far as the windows go, they certainly work and aren't overly-slow for my liking, they don't fly up and down but they don't seem like they're encountering any resistance. The account of the windows getting slower is from the previous owner who had the car since new, so I'll take his word for it. The electrics are still a "You really need to do this at some point" thing for me that I still need to read up on and start planning to do the work.

Also: Would there be a reason I only have one headlight washer other than "someone replaced the headlight at some point"? Because I only have one headlight washer. It's not something that bothers me but I'm all curious now.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection
It's pretty common for the clocks to go on the fritz.
The clock in my 2nd gen only works during hard braking.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

DirkDonkeyroot posted:

Does anyone know of a replacement for the actual switch levers inside the power window switches for a s5? The switches seem to work ok once the relays are wired in but the levers inside the box have crumbled like 25 year old Japanese plastic likes to.

I'd wager a guess that the security system and the horn button activate the horn seperately but I'm not sure. I think you can hear the relay on the horn relay on the cpu fire when you push the button and probably test it past there if you can isolate the wires. Mazdatrix sells what seems to be an updated board for the cpu that looks a hell of a lot better made.

In addition to relays for the windows I would disassemble, clean and regrease the window regulators and adjust them according to the fsm.

I took apart my driver's side switch and mounted small single-pole double-throw momentary toggle switches inside, coupled with relays. Took a little custom fabri-cobbling, and one needs to be tweaked - it doesn't spring back to neutral from "down".

I've never had a working CPU. I've gone through several, and only one of them gave me the key-in/lights-on/door-open chimes, and that only for a few days. That one also enabled the damned factory alarm for that few days, which played hob with my aftermarket keyless alarm. I'm not sure why my car keeps killing the CPUs. When it worked, it even lit up the keyholes in the doors if you pulled the handle first before unlocking.
All I really wanted was the warning chimes for the lights and such.

Skeletard posted:

I got new tires for the car over the weekend, as I need to get it into "ostensibly a daily driver" status, my daily-cressida has started to make some terrible clunking noises and I fear it might be the bottom end, so that car gets to sit for a little while so that I don't completely destroy it while I figure out what to do next. I don't have the facilities to try and crack into the engine on my own and I fear that the costs of repairs or of a swap might mean that this is the end of my time with a pretty tidy MX63.

In actual RX-related news, I had posted earlier in Spyder's thread that the clock wasn't working but today I parked up at home to see that the clock is working again. Maybe it just needed to bake in a parking lot for most of the day like a really ghetto solder re-flow, or maybe the car's just healing itself magically. My money's on the former, but magical healing properties are welcomed.

As far as the windows go, they certainly work and aren't overly-slow for my liking, they don't fly up and down but they don't seem like they're encountering any resistance. The account of the windows getting slower is from the previous owner who had the car since new, so I'll take his word for it. The electrics are still a "You really need to do this at some point" thing for me that I still need to read up on and start planning to do the work.

Also: Would there be a reason I only have one headlight washer other than "someone replaced the headlight at some point"? Because I only have one headlight washer. It's not something that bothers me but I'm all curious now.

Do engines normally clunk? Knock, OK, but clunking is usually chassis/suspension.

The windows probably are slower - the permanent-magnet DC motors lose strength over time in my observation. My sunroof is painfully slow and has to be helped to pop up, and I've disassembled everything, cleaned out the old grease, and regreased the motor and tracks. If they're fast enough, then just make sure they're lubed. Relays will help extend the life of the switches - they tend to arc inside when routing full motor power through them. First gens have the same problem.

Don't know about the headlight washers - I don't think any US models got them, but I'm not sure about that.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
I bought my son a 2009 RX8 yesterday. This is his first car. I really didn't want to buy it for him, but he did his homework and knows all the peculiarities of the car and is willing to take on the extra work and costs associated with it. Plus after I drove it I think I was in love with it too.

It has 89,000 miles on it, manual GT, with 18,000 miles on the new engine. The second owner that had the engine replaced is a mechanical engineer that was very aware of the car and took good care of it.

He gets his license in August so I get to drive it until then hahaha

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Suqit posted:

I bought my son a 2009 RX8 yesterday. This is his first car. I really didn't want to buy it for him, but he did his homework and knows all the peculiarities of the car and is willing to take on the extra work and costs associated with it. Plus after I drove it I think I was in love with it too.

It has 89,000 miles on it, manual GT, with 18,000 miles on the new engine. The second owner that had the engine replaced is a mechanical engineer that was very aware of the car and took good care of it.

He gets his license in August so I get to drive it until then hahaha

Are you looking to adopt a 38 year old? I'm gainfully employed and don't eat much

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Panty Saluter posted:

Are you looking to adopt a 38 year old? I'm gainfully employed and don't eat much

He is paying 20% of everything, price of the car, insurance, maintenance and fuel. Although I am only covering 80% of what an average car burning regular fuel would get. And no maintenance that is unique to the car; he has to pay for his oil he has to add every other tank, he has to pay for any coils that go out, tires if he auto crosses, etc. So its costing him money too.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
That's fine as long as you pick up the bulk of it :P

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

I saw this article on a random Japanese twitter account, but can't find any more information about it as it was just published today. Google Translate is kind of a mess, and I know nothing about the website it's on, so I'm taking all of this with the tiniest grain of salt, but...

http://lrnc.cc/_ct/16987892

quote:

Every time Tsu, is Glico. Today, let's tell earlier than where the big news that you just get a little while ago. Development of pure sports car equipped with a next-generation rotary engine = SKYACTIV-R, has been formally approved by the last board of directors.

If you, the rumors of the rotary sports development resume I had been whispered from a long time ago. In fact, the development of informal while RX-7 successor vehicles had been continuing basis by the project team of the very small number of people. It has been often witnessed preceding development cars in various parts of the circuit. From the senior management, including the other hand Mazda's president, it is what has not been heard only negative comments about its potential. I'm Sorya likely, because not a "do you have!" The ones that have not been officially approved by the board of directors yet.

The wind has changed, it would be before and after publishing a concept car "RX-VISION" still at last year's Tokyo Motor Show 2015 or. Such as to provide an estimate of the parts for the rear-wheel-drive vehicle to more than one supplier, we will become aggressive to materials making to determine the propriety of the formal development. And more than anything, the magnitude of the echo-than-expected in the Motor Show, will was encouraged by Mazda's management team. This seems to have become forced to withdraw an opinion until it also officer our opponents. And I understand that the other day, finally official development has been resolved.

Although the RX-VISION impact of leave, called the new design is adopted in consideration of performance and productivity.

Let's notice the outline of a new sports car. First of all, is the car's name. The house seems to go by is a common name at the time of advanced development "RX-7," but, of course, this is not yet official. As a candidate, already have trademark registration "RX-9" is Toka influential. Appearance, the new design of what is under the influence of the RX-VISION is adopted, it says to be lighter in a more compact. 2 is seater pure sport, slightly more than been reduced, especially the full-length than the concept car, it seems to be smaller and lighter.

Engine is, of course, "SKYACTIV-R". The amount of the exhaust gas in the 800cc × 2, this thing to be a tuning to compensate for the low-speed torque, not only the best output in combination with the single turbo. By the way, the maximum output is around 400ps, things that aims to "bike like a acceleration". Exactly you are rotary rocket. Vehicle weight the goal is less than 1300kg, adopted a transaxle system that is integrated with the rear differential mission. As a result, that of the weight balance of the front and rear becomes slightly to the rear closer. Top speed aside, seems to aim the world's highest level cornering machine.

Care is the target price to be, but the plan was originally aiming to 8 million yen to 1,000 million. However, Mazda in the past without dealing with the car in this price range, but it is also in the house had become one of the opposite reason, is ultimately as calm at 8 million yen. It seems there is speculation that the positioned as a flagship in the appropriate items of the product groups of the new generation Mazda not be bra. In particular stuck with that of the quality, interior is gorgeous ones using generously leather and new materials. If you look at the actual vehicle, Toka's what convincing in its price.

At the Tokyo Motor Show in 2017 to commemorate the "rotary engine 50th anniversary", published a prototype close to the commercial type. Then, aged through the war to such a test drive and super GT300 class in around the circuit, announced the commercial model at the Tokyo Motor Show in 2019, that launched to commemorate the Mazda 100th anniversary in next January 2020 roadmap until the release of the. As "just not the RX-7 successor car," said informant says, 100 anniversary memorable, and the advent of appropriate to liven up the Olympic year, "sports car that can not be made only in the Mazda", exciting from now is not it!

Information providers and "not a successor car mere RX-7". Let's look forward to the birth of a new generation of pure sports car that can not be made only in the Mazda!

I would not be surprised (or care) if they called it the RX-9, just please have it look like these renders. Goddrat. Also, it better not loving cost $80,000, jesus christ.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I want to believe. At the same time, I'm not holding my breath.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
The worst thing Mazda could do is price it out of the enthusiast range.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)
My sons RX8 developed a serious leak. We took it to the dealership and they said it was coming from the seal on the front cover. So they're replacing the engine lol

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Is it under some kind of warranty? Or are you paying for it?

Im pretty new to RX-8 ownership, but after calling around about a compression test for ours I am kind of distrustful of dealerships. It seems like you really do need to take one to a specialist shop.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

CoffeeBooze posted:

Is it under some kind of warranty? Or are you paying for it?

Im pretty new to RX-8 ownership, but after calling around about a compression test for ours I am kind of distrustful of dealerships. It seems like you really do need to take one to a specialist shop.

It's under warranty which is why I took it to the dealer. And the rotary mechanic there seems helpful too.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

the spyder posted:

The worst thing Mazda could do is price it out of the enthusiast range.

But wasn't the FD way out of casual enthusiast price range? I see no reason this would be any different, they've already got the speed3 for enthusiasts.

Also that thing is ugly as backwoods sin.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The fact the concept car did not have a manual should be all you need to know if Mazda gives a gently caress about enthusists

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Mazda is like the only company (especially Japanese company) that actually DOES give a poo poo about regular enthusiasts. Their resources are the issue, not their fucks.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Mazda is like the only company (especially Japanese company) that actually DOES give a poo poo about regular enthusiasts. Their resources are the issue, not their fucks.

Given it should have been fairly plain that I was referring to the specific concept...

I'll also stand by that comment in relation to a hypothetical RX9 until I see one with a manual

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

MiniFoo posted:

I would not be surprised (or care) if they called it the RX-9, just please have it look like these renders. Goddrat. Also, it better not loving cost $80,000, jesus christ.

That front reminds me of a mustang, not sure I like that.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
look unless Mazda releases this car with carbs and a manual choke they just don't care about enthusiasts

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

rscott posted:

look unless Mazda releases this car with carbs and a manual choke they just don't care about enthusiasts

As long as they keep the false equivalencies out it's cool

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Panty Saluter posted:

As long as they keep the false equivalencies out it's cool

Manual transmissions are almost as dead as the rotary, and for basically the same reasons.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

iwentdoodie posted:

Manual transmissions are almost as dead as the rotary, and for basically the same reasons.

All the more reason to keep them together, for those with only the finest tastes.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

iwentdoodie posted:

... they're bad for emissions? I'm confused.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

Moron owners?

People swap manuals out for LS1's?

I'm not seeing the connection here.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Moron owners?

People swap manuals out for LS1's?

I'm not seeing the connection here.

Efficiency and progress.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Underdeveloped and overtaken by competing technology. It's was pretty obvious :shrug:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

Efficiency and progress.

Both of which still haven't made manuals obsolete so still not seeing the connection here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Maybe autos have finally edged ahead in efficiency but they still lag decades behind in "interesting and fun to drive". Check and mate :smug:

• Locked thread