Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I read this and was left with two questions. What about the RX-3 and RX-5? And is there a 1, 2, 4 and 6? I've never seen them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I have another question. How long are the Mazda rotaries normally? I mean like crank pulley to bellhousing? It's just idle curiosity but I've been wracking my brain trying to think of a motor in the smallest package possible.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Brigdh posted:

Went and did a rough measurement on the '89 TII in the garage, the front housing to the bell housing is about 16 inches. Add maybe 3" to that for all the pullies and belts

This one-rotor motor would probably be only 2/3rds to 75% of that: http://www.atkinsrotary.com/index.php?pag=14

Okay that one rotor motor is very cool. Thanks for the measurement by the way. I just need to dig up some other measurements and compare. Sorry I don't really have a massive interest in the cars but the engines intrigue me.

Also if you are wondering it's not so much figuring out if a rotary will fit something, but whether it can potentially fit something with a transmission. I'm considering options on butchering another vehicle, but it's not for me. The big issue is it needs to be auto but that option doesn't exist. The OE manual is very short and it's impossible to have a longer transmission unless the engine is moved forward. So just considering things. y'know? Nothing immediate anyway.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Brigdh posted:

I've never seen an automatic first gen, but I know swapping auto-> manual is popular in the second gen world, so you might because to satisfy that automatic requirement by getting someone's used and unwanted post-swap parts. Automatics on a rotary are generally a bad idea because an automatic will try to keep the revs down, while a rotary really likes the revs high. One of the reasons why early automatic RX-8s were particularly susceptible to engine/tranny failures that eventually had the extended warranty.

You know what, I didn't even consider the whole shift points thing. Whoops. It's still one of many ideas I'm kicking around.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Maybe they are doing something like a larger afterburner rotor or something although I'm not sure how it'd be lubricated / cooled. Okay probably a silly idea but you never know.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Phone posted:

What do you mean the injectors were flipped 180 degrees? Like was the fuel hook up on the intake side of the engine and the injector's business end was in the fuel rail?

I've been wondering that too. My knowledge of these engines doesn't extend beyond the basics but I'm having trouble figuring it out. My thought was the injector rail was put on upside down in the wrong place, but I don't know.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I was trying to figure out how you'd even sit on that thing without some part of it trying to eat / incinerate you.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

rotard posted:

Actually the side seals and apex seals use combustion process gas and pressure to do the sealing. The whole method of sealing the combustion chamber using the gas's, which are the reason for side seal and apex seal grove clearances and there tolerances, are what F. Wankel designed before he even began work on the Wankel. I believe that the sealing matrix holds its own patent as well.

Some German torpedo's used the same sealing matrix in a rotary valve setup to create low profile heads allowing the motors to fit in said torpedo's aswell.

Its my understanding the springs are in place just for initial sealing, IE starting.

I'm not a rotary guru but what you said makes sense and is probably correct.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Phone posted:

I think this belongs here..

WHAT THE gently caress!

I can't see any rhyme or reason to the way those valves are opening and closing. The single piston with scotch yoke besides being a mindfuck if it's put in 3D is a clever idea if it's physically possible. otherwise A layout like a Bourke engine makes a bit more sense for the pistons.

e: payoute, what the gently caress is that? Fixed.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

clutchpuck posted:

My '83 GSL had 180k when I sold it running. My '84 GSL-SE had 225k mi before it started mixing its oil and coolant.

You were running a glycol injection rig, eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

EightBit posted:

It's a joke about RX7s being oil-burners (by design, to preserve the apex seals), getting ethylene glycol in the oil.

Glad you got it.

• Locked thread