Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I just spent 4 hours playing Delta Force: Black Hawk Down trying to get through my Steam backlog and holy poo poo what a game. I think my favorite part is how your AI squadmates will walk up to and execute civilians at point blank, and I feel like it should come bundled with Spec Ops: The Line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

Novalogic was the poo poo. Commanche and Armored Fist were awesome. I'd love a modern update on both of them.

I bought the Novalogic Complete Pack for something like $15 during the Steam summer sale. It was never actually advertised anywhere. All the games play fine on Windows 7 but no widescreen of course.

Spongebob Tampax posted:

Wait, how old is that game? I remember playing a shitload of delta force back in like, 2002, but I'm drawing a blank on black hawk down.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vasudus posted:

Yeah I don't know. poo poo's like some sort of schizoid-level madness. I just want to try the new expansion :smith:

I did the same thing and when I realized how long it'd take to get through the 1-60 content with a new character, even with the Cataclysm stuff, I just played the Panda starting area and quit.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

genderstomper58 posted:

I just got it for 2 bucks on Amazon, hope its pretty cool

It's pretty cool.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

PS2's F2P stuff is ok. It doesn't feel really scammy but it's still a huge bummer to run into people who can kill you a lot faster depending on how much money they spent or how much longer they've been playing it.

Like when you're just starting out you won't have missile defense for your tank, its armor will be really low, and the acquisition timer will be really high so it's really frustrating getting taken out by a single guy standing on a cliff with lock-on missiles before you can move out of range or into cover. Same goes for dealing with rocket pods on aircraft, which were really rare during the beta but are everywhere in the release version.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vasudus posted:

People playing longer should be able to beat you, that's just part of the game.

Yeah and it's the part of the game that makes it hell on people just starting out. The people playing the longest are a LOT more capable.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

vacation in kabul posted:

Maybe it's cause I got into the initial PS1 release and played pretty consistently, but I don't ever remember the kind of off-balance poo poo I've seen in PS2 in PS1. Like I'll unload almost an entire clip on another light infantry dude, then he'll turn around and plink plink I'm dead. I just quit every time because respawning and finding good position just takes too drat long when I'm getting destroyed by someone with less skill than me because I don't have the right certs or whatever.

Nothing pisses me off more than trying to take out a guy at long distance, landing multiple shots without killing him, and then taking 3 perfect hits in a row and dying. Is it lag? I don't know.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm having fun right now playing as NC on Matherson, although the goon platoon doesn't seem to be making any progress anywhere.

What's the recommended gun for NC heavy assault? Is it the 50-shot one for 100 certs?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Haha holy crap, I knew the default gun for NC Heavy Assault was bad, but I've been playing as a medic for a while and I had no idea it was THAT bad. I can get kills at long range with the medic's gun just by holding down the trigger.

Also, when goons are sucking for 3 straight hours I still get certs!

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I have a vague interest in strategy games and I feel like I'm terrible at them. I want to play xcom but I'm scared.

XCom is one of those games where both people who thought they sucked at tactical strategy games and people who do nothing but play tactical strategy games absolutely loved it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

AB posted:

Anybody stoked for Dead Space 3?

No not really I'm pretty sure they've ruined it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Path of Exile is cool, it's like if Diablo 3 was made by guys who thought Diablo 2 was a good game.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

PS2Chat:

Are there any weapons that are clear upgrades for an NC medic? I think I'm happy with all the accessories and upgrades I've got so far, and I'm not sure what else I want to spend my certs on.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Defleshed posted:

Wait till you discover that the vendors are also Horadric Cubes...

Also beware of blindly levelling up your gems everytime they are ready, lest you find yourself unable to use your skills...

Man they could really improve the gem leveling tooltip. Every time I level up a gem I have to spend 30 minutes squinting at the text and going back and forth between that and the skill button to figure out what, exactly, is going to change when I level it up.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I spent $10 to buy an NS-11 in PS2 and it's a pretty cool gun so I'm sure it was worth it.

Looking through all the other purchasable stuff, I'm pretty sure there's nothing I'll actually want to spend money on ever again.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They made all the monsters in Dead Space 3 faster

the gently caress is up with that

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Path of Exile shows more polish after a couple years of development by some dudes in a New Zealand basement than Diablo 3 did after 12 years of being developed by a hundred "professionals" with tens to hundreds of millions of dollars to waste.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

genderstomper58 posted:

lol youre retarded

gently caress the cistem

are you like a video game hipster bc this is really stupid

Oh sorry I consider things like "Hey, unique items should be unique" to be "polish" instead of something you patch in after 12 years and several months of thinking that they should just be rares with a 0.00001% chance of having better stats

PoE shows more polish than Diablo 3 did after 12 years in development. gently caress you. I'm not surprised baby would be impressed by pretty CGI cutscenes.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

1 month into open beta and Path of Exile shows more polish than Diablo 3 did at release with its "higher difficulty levels actually work" feature.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

genderstomper58 posted:

I was pretty drunk no hard feelings mate

I just didn't like POE that much ;)

It's cool man at least PoE still lets you get items from barrels

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Pufflekins posted:

Holy poo poo dude, you seem to be very offended that someone likes a different video game than you do

no not really dude I was offended by this tho:

genderstomper58 posted:

lol youre retarded

gently caress the cistem

are you like a video game hipster bc this is really stupid

But he apologized so you're kind of the dick here :(

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I really should've picked the "join Citra" ending in Far Cry 3 because lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Has Diablo 3 actually improved enough to feel like a better game from a fresh start? I haven't played it since June.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Christoff posted:

What was so bad about the gameplay in the beginning? I knew what it was going to be. A point and click I'd run through once and never touch again.

I don't know how people played D2 for so long.

Yeah running through it once it's fine, but D2 was the kind of game I played for years so I was hoping D3 would be the same. The biggest problem I had with it was the items - I never, ever got anything decent to drop for my character and trying to play inferno was like ramming my head against a brick wall. The auction house helped, but then I felt like I was just trying to grind gold to buy items that were far, far superior to anything I had ever seen in the game. I could've avoided the AH, but if the game wasn't literally tuned around the AH being available it sure as hell felt like it was. Character development felt completely non-existent, as well. Once I hit level 60 the only thing to do was swap out my stupid runes after every patch. I put 80 hours into the game and gave up.

So yeah, it's not a terrible game or I wouldn't have spent that much time on it - but most of that time was spent thinking it's going to get better and it never did. I get that there's a lot of people who like it but as someone who loved D2, I don't feel any hesitation about talking poo poo on the third game for not appealing to me. That'd be really petty if PoE didn't exist, since it gets so much of what I wanted out of a Diablo sequel right.

PoE strikes me as "Diablo 3 if Blizzard had spent 12 years trying to make a better Diablo game instead of striking out for a new audience". It has its own faults, but every problem I had with the gameplay concepts in Diablo 3 is nonexistent in PoE. It's not like they're trying to clone Diablo, either - it brings a lot of new concepts to the genre that I really, really like.

I'm not even going to talk about the storyline in Diablo 3 in the context of pros and cons since I really don't care about that sort of thing in these games. That being said, Blizzard sure as hell seemed proud of that drivel in that they did their very best to force your attention on it. PoE's storyline is thoroughly ignorable so it gets my approvable.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 24, 2013

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL posted:

Remember the minorities in games thread?

Yeah it turned out the people who adopt minority positions are some of the most hateful and vindictive people to ever post on an Internet forum. What a valuable experiment that thread was.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

looking forward to playing some fukken NS2 now that I'm back from a 3-day TDY that took 2 weeks

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What's the Straight Dope on SimCity? I never played the older games much and temporary login issues do not concern me.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I bought Simcity 4 yesterday and it's pretty dope. I was just playing on the tutorial map and it's already like 4x the size of the maps in the new game.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Armed Assault is a fantastic simulator of what it's like to catch a stray bullet to the dome after lying in a prone position in a bunch of bushes for 3 hours.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Goons are generally cool to play ArmA with because while they'll stick to fireteams and orders and poo poo they don't overdo it and don't turn off respawns

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Booblord Zagats posted:

BF3 jets require a controller. Every pilot nerd I know, including a few who have actual fighter experience said its just too "twitch" for a HOTAS

all the jet pros from the BF3 thread use keyboard + mouse

you have to bind "pitch up" to spacebar or something though

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If you preordered Bioshock you're an idiot

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Godholio posted:

Unless you wanted Xcom as well.

I think XCom was down to like $8 at one point, beats paying $60 for a game and saying "I sure hope it isn't poo poo!"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Papers Please is the pro choice for gaming this week: http://dukope.com/

I let somebody through even though the sex on their passport didn't match but I read D&D so that's fine, then they threw a bomb at the security guard and killed him

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

DrCuntmuffins posted:

im at the point where some dude doesnt give me anything and i cant progress in the story. hooray.

you have to open up the rulebook and click the counter + the rule that says passport required. that one tripped me up the first time too

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

How do I tell the guy who just doesn't give me paperwork to gently caress off? I just sit there and stare at him.

open rule book, click the button in the corner, click empty counter and click rule that says "Passports required"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

:ssh: You can arrest the brothel owner.

Yeah but his papers are fine and I'm not getting paid to stick my neck out

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don't see my wage going up when I have to interrogate one scumbag who couldn't be bothered to read the rules in the same period of time I could process 5 people who actually deserve to enter my country

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

it kind of takes away from the whole purpose when games portray Troubling Social Issues in such a way that the most die hard womanizer klan member can point to the caricatures of racists and say "that guy is crazy"

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

i dont see any spaceships

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That owned, especially when someone told them what the song was actually about and goons kept trying their hardest to prove that jay z hates women

• Locked thread