Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Steam: Hemingway_fe
BF3: bird_law

I play BLOPS2 and BF3 mostly. gently caress consoles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Anno 2070 does this weird thing where plunking down roads, houses, and setting tax rates is fun.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

Remember back when Gateway, HP, Compaq etc did those all in one home computer box sets? You'd go to Comp USA (lol) and your dad would buy this MASSIVE box that had a Pentium 3 Computer, CRT monitor, printer, scanner, keyboard etc for like $4,000. Then your dad would smugly tell everyone how fast word opens. Meanwhile you spend a week uninstalling like 3 gigs of bloatware, and then open the PC to find out you can not physically fit a graphics card in and there is one RAM slot.

That's how my dad bought me my first desktop -- an eMachines.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

DrCuntmuffins posted:

Funny because a couple years ago I found an original IBM 5150 when i was a college kid/dumpster diver. poo poo still works but it's in storage now... loved playing with that thing, super coool hand built circuit boards and poo poo

There's one of those white clamshell macbook 13-inchers floating around somewhere. The loving thing still works great but good god is that display atrocious. Screen tech has come a long way since 2007.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

bengy81 posted:

My surfing the internet on the couch computer is a 2008 model. It doesn't play nice with YouTube, and I can play all of 2 games on it, but I can't justify replacing it right now.

See I have a 2011 macbook air now which serves as my youtube/internet machine/ I'll be selling that off for a retina MBP once school starts up.

I really like macs as laptops but would never get them as a desktop. They're just too much of a locked-in experience.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Civ 5 is stealing all of my free time. Atilla the Hun is a real loving bitch. I can't go 10 turns without that prick back stabbing me.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

WOMEN DESERVE RAPE posted:

I can't go a game without nuking the French. One mistake by Napoleon back in Civ 4 and those baguette eating bastards have been stuck with flipper-babies ever since. Oh and playing Archipelago maps as the English is kinda like cheating, partially because the AI is still retarded about ocean combat.

Haven't done any naval intensive maps yet. I'll have to do that next just to get better at naval poo poo. Made my Persians a bunch of jews. Hope they appreciate the irony.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

WOMEN DESERVE RAPE posted:

It's awesome to zerg the research early on and just maintain a screening force around Der Vaterland until you can bust out some of the naval goodies and wreck poo poo. It's the kind of game that you only leave war victories on, make a war religion, and have your people end up as basically the bastard children of the Mongols, Vikings, and WWII Japanese.

In peace time, I'll keep a massive gold farm economy so that when war rolls around I can plus up units if they fall or buy some to alleviate units. Like the Hunn caught me off guard when I had no ranged units so I had to buy a few crossbow men which kept me good until I could upgrade catapults to trebuchets then cannons.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

I've had 12 hour games, easily.

I just started playing Dark Souls tonight and holy poo poo, I'm addicted.

I'm on hour 4 of a game with at least another 4 hours to go. Part of the fun is working a long-term strategy or having it all fall to pieces only to bumfuck some other semi-workable plan into action.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

My best game ever came down to Ghandi vs Me. He kept attacking my borders, but just skirmishes, nothing that would really cause any real damage. Finally I said gently caress it, and sent the majority of my military in and hosed poo poo up.

By the time I got to his capital I realized he was 4 turns away from a Space Race victory. I had to get as much of my force as possible to attack the shuttle pieces, and force him to stop building the cockpit. I ended up taking 2 of the Giant Death Robots in and just laying waste to as much as possible, then nuking India with half my forces still in country.

I won a time victory that game.

Goddamn. I haven't had any like those but the AI has always been set to "pussy rear end motherfucker". My battle with Atilla is still going on. The dude launches an attempt to wipe my civ off the map every 20 turns. There are no skirmishes; just straight up war. Bi-polar dude.

Next game I'm gonna skip the first eras. Swords and poo poo are meh. Just want guns.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

vacation in kabul posted:

Anno 2070 has been a huge disappointment for me. Actually kind of hate it.

It's really an acquired taste.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
human being 01, HOLOCAUST 01 -- WILL NOT BE ATTENDING MATCH. DELAY FOR WX.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

BULLETS CURE ISLAM posted:

oh ok cool, wasn't sure what the game speed settings actually meant thanks :)

Yea I play the game on quick turns. Forming a religion happens after you find a pantheon then either buy a great prophet with faith or one is born. When you have a GP, click the guy and in the bottom left vertical menu should be an option for founding a religion.

Just lost a 9 hour game. Totally destroyed at the end. Welp!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Too busy spreading the word of Christ in Civ 5. Maybe another time for me.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Russia somehow squeaked by alright because of its idiot leader.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
well looks like time to go make hamburger helper then,.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
WHo plays Galactic Civ II?! I want a space 4x and Sword of the Stars II is like not good.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

GD_American posted:

I've played it a bunch. I loved it, kinda tired of it but will re-install sometime eventually.

Mucho ship customization. Decent governor system, so you don't have to micromanage, but still...

How's it compared to Civ 5 in terms of gameplay and systems?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

GD_American posted:

I played Civ 5 for two days and deleted it. I am capital N- Not A Fan.

Utterly different from any Civ, though. It's a system-oriented game; each solar system has 0-8 planets, any of which can be inhabitable. Inhabitable normal planets have a certain number of farmable squares (equal to planet quality- the higher number, the more stuff you can build there), and the usual production/gold/science choices are made.

Combat is surprisingly deep; trade is kind of the Civ I model (trade ships that make routes, the more distant the route the more valuable). Diplomacy is largely Civ-like, although it works much much better (you can actually negotiate).

Something like 12 different races with different bonuses and very different ship styles. The ship editor is not only neat for visuals, but pretty much necessary for use as you get up there in tech and want to maximize your power.

It's deep enough for grognards but light enough for folks who want to breeze through.

That sold me. I loving hate the diplomacy in Civ 5. It's so basic.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Veins McGee posted:

That's essentially how trading works in Civ 4 or 5. You put up what you want to trade or what you want from them, ask the computer what they'll accept, and either accept or decline their offer.

Maybe its not as good as in this game, but trading is pretty low on my list of complaints about Civ.

The whole diplomacy thing in Civ 5 irritated me because I could put a few units on the border which would trigger, "ARE YOU GOING TO STEAM ROLL ME?!?!" but if the AI did the same, I couldn't question them. I've also had an AI that had a defense pact with actually help me out either.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Veins McGee posted:

Yeah, Civ 4/5 diplomacy sucks and is needlessly opaque.

The lot of these 4X games lack in some key area. I'm not that upset what with the Steam sale since I paid maybe ~40 bucks for like several of them. Sword of the Stars II could be so loving amazing if it wasn't for some seriously bone-headed game design.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

GD_American posted:

Civ V sucked badly enough to anger me.

I tried to re-install Call to Power as a pacifier, because really, with a bugfix that would have been the best Civ game ever.

Doesn't work with modern video card :argh:

What didn't you like about Civ 5?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

GD_American posted:

The city-state dynamic is dumb, artificial and the NPC players are incredibly stupidly unforgiving if you ever decide to take one out.

I liked the hex-grid switch and wider city radius, but all in all the game felt...smaller scale to me. Even on large maps, civs consisted of far fewer cities than before. Road upkeep costs kept travel infrastructure undeveloped wayyyyyy to late into the game. Unstacked combat sucks donkey balls (making GBS threads on the idea of combined arms)- seriously, one military unit per hex? In 2013?

I don't like the "buy an improvement outright" mechanic either. What was wrong with paying to rush a job?

OK so how big of a micro-management nightmare is Civ IV then compared to V? I Like V and all especially with the expansion pack but, like you said, the city-state thing is dumb and I don't like unstacked units. Is there a limit to how many units can be in one hex?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Civ IV: Complete Edition is 7.50 on Amazon.

Someone tell me if it's a micro management nightmare or not.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Bought. Thanks for helping me blow my paycheck!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

GD_American posted:

Civ IV+BTS and GalCiv II are pretty much all you'll need for a good long while if you play 4x.

Well now I'm set. Now with my sudden influx of cash, I can probably nab a laptop for school and replace this old macbook air that I've been using. Pretty sure my productivity will drop immensely if I can sneak turns in between classes.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Y'all were not kidding about GalCivII. Holy poo poo is that game cool. It can be tailored to anything. So awesome.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Novalogic was the poo poo. Commanche and Armored Fist were awesome. I'd love a modern update on both of them.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I gave Guild Wars 2 a shot. It was...not my favorite.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Command & Conquer for best RTS series ever? Red Alert 2 was pretty much massive tank force followed by Mig-29 attacks. That's how I played anyhow.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Blacklight: Retribution is a really good F2P shooter. You can spend money for weapons and gear or just play a few hours every week to earn enough in-game cred to rent the poo poo for anywhere from an hour to a week. Essentially, once you earn a few thousand credits (5-6 hours of play) while continuing to play it once or twice a week, you can run with the same gear without dropping a penny.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I played ME1-liked it enough. For both ME2 and 3, I put about 15 hours in, enjoyed my time, then just stopped playing it outright. I'd like to finish off the series at some point. Those games weren't very compelling to me once the ooh shiny new shoot-y bits thrill wore off.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

X-Com is 25 bucks right now on Amazon, and I got a 5 dollar credit I can use on it.

Think it's time to pull the trigger.

Game is so good do it now.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

It's done. Downloading now. Happy that the game is Steamworks.

I had a lot of fun with it for the time I played it. Avoid the Games thread about it since the goon majority believes that an Ironman Classic playthrough is the pure and Godly way to experience X-Com. I guess that's cool if you enjoy random bullshit AI dice rolls that wipe out an experienced squad in one fell swoop or arbitrary difficulty. With that being said, play on normal first to get a hang on everything. It's some super difficult if you ever played a strategy game in any capacity.

There's a mod or so out there that changes the values of the dice roll poo poo to where the game actually plays out more fairly.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Snipers. Use the poo poo out of your snipers.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Vasudus posted:

Also don't name your soldiers until they're at least LTs or CPTs :smith:

Or better yet name them after ex-girlfriends if you're down for a super goony coping mechanism good time.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

AB posted:

Anybody stoked for Dead Space 3?

I don't like horror/scary games. :3:

Pretty stoked for Aliens: Colonial Marines and the new Company of Heroes whenever that gets a release date.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

vacation in kabul posted:

That Joystiq article reminded me that Relic exists which reminds me of Homeworld. I've never spent so much time being disappointed by a game I don't think.

Uh what? Homeworld was awesome.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Did anyone pick up Crysis 3? I have it for the PC but have yet to even touch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Vasudus posted:

It's better to think of FC3 as not actually having an ending, and you just run around murdering dudes and killing tigers with flamethrowers for all eternity.

goon stuff -- I legit felt bad for Liza. Some of the characters were really well-done with mocap and dialogue.

• Locked thread