Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

$20 mail-in rebate on purchases of $42,349.99 or more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Vasudus posted:

Which one of you is cis_admin?

Yo.

I haven't properly introduced myself to GiP because I don't like talking about my relatively short, embarrassing enlistment in the Army, but gosh if you aren't just a bunch of swell fellas to play video games with.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

friend of the family DEATH TURBO posted:

don't ever let cis_admin be squad leader

I didn't realize I was squad leader until I about 30 seconds before that server crashed.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Fart Sandwiches posted:

When I get BF4 later this week should I get the digital deluxe? It has china rising or whatever and is an extra :10bux:

If you expect to eventually shell out for Premium and get China Rising that way, no.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Fallom posted:

It's pretty funny when people try attaching C4 to everything from quads to helicopters to try to kill me as AA and I just murder all of them.

You're talking about me, every single round of Lancang. Most AA drivers never notice or expect a jihad jeep 8-9 seconds out of bounds.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Fallom posted:

Got this loving jet poo poo is miserable. I keep getting shot down in one burst by all the sperglords and I can somehow never manage to shake them.

It's impossible to shake another jet on your tail in BF4 because everyone moves and turns at constant speed. All he has to do is keep pointing at you rather than match your ~tactical maneuvers~ as in every previous title.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Bioshock Infinite, Dishonored, and Deus Ex: Human Revolution are my personal favorite games of 2013, 2012, and 2011 respectively, so uh... congratulations on having good taste. All three games also have excellent DLC that is better in many ways than the base game.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Titanfall is going to be capped at 6v6.

No thanks :(

haha holy poo poo

It's Brink all over again.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Just downloaded the free trial for EVE. How hosed am I?

You don't seem autistic, so it shouldn't take you long to figure out that you're not having a fun or rewarding experience. I'd say your odds are good.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

gleep gloop posted:

The gently caress do we look like, Obama? Buy your own game, it's $20, you poor.

$20 more than it's worth tbh

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

elite_garbage_man posted:

Finally got to anor lando in dark souls and didn't die until I met the rear end in a top hat archers

30,000 souls...gone

We're in the same place. I finally beat them more or less by luck. Just run straight up the buttress and attack the archer on the right. If you go left, you're moving in a straight line away from the right one. Get past that archer, and you're home free. There's a bonfire right around the corner.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Mustang posted:

Both of you are going to have a ton of fun with the next boss fight.

Killed those nerds on the first try. Thought this game was supposed to be hard?

with another goon and a random summon

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Uroboros posted:

Should I play Titanfall over Battlefield 4, or is a different beast entirely from modern shooters? It would be nice to have a game that really recreates the feel of Unreal Tournament, and that is kind of what the gameplay looks like.

Having played the beta last night -- it's fun but not worth the full price of admission. At least one map was already getting stale 4 hours in. It is nothing at all like Unreal Tournament. The gameplay was much closer to COD than anything else, although it obviously features quite a bit more variety.

A few things stand out as problem areas. You can theoretically win the popular Attrition (TDM) game mode just by killing the worthless AI grunts that are everywhere, which makes many players play very safely and focus on NPC kills. Some matches feel a little too much like first person DOTA. The tiny player count does nothing to change that impression.

Texture quality is inconsistent, to put it mildly. Titan interiors, which you would think would be the most obvious place for lavish detail, are flat and pixellated. The graphics in general don't hold up to scrutiny. Whatever, it's not that big a deal. If I had been having more fun I probably would never have noticed.

Titanfall tries a lot of new things for a big-budget title. It's fair to say that some work well (double jumping! wall running!) and others detract from the experience (target dummy "grunts" instead of players, lock-on antipersonnel weapons :wtf:). Still others cut both ways; I'd put Titans into the latter category. Mechs themselves are a great idea, but the studio who made Call of Duty should have learned that giving a huge gameplay advantage to the team that is already winning early on is an awful idea. The team that wins the first minute almost invariably wins the game because they gain a massive armor superiority that pretty much instantly snuffs out the few Titans the losing team manages to call in. The experience of fighting Titans and fighting inside Titans is amazing, but making them glorified kill streak rewards was moronic. Titanfall's miserable balance is probably the main reason why I won't buy it on release.

edit: gently caress, that was a lot of words. I knew nothing at all about the game before I played it yesterday, so I don't know how much of what I just bitched about is part of the design intent or what. It's just a nice, fast-paced shooter. I'd buy BF4 over it any day.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 18, 2014

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

C'mon man if you're going to post funny things stupid goons say in the games thread at least provide a link.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3606902&pagenumber=52&perpage=40#post425805756

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Commoners posted:

Also: banzai charging with a katana and cutting friendlies in the head.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

gleep gloop posted:

New BF4 expansion tonight. Looks like we (maybe) are getting the band back together! For a while at least.

Hell yeah, I can't wait to try out CTF.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

genderstomper58 posted:

I really liked ctf in bf3, prolly my favorite game mode :shobon:

Mine too. The BF3 maps were made specifically for CTF, though, so I doubt this version will stack up. Metro CTF :barf:

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Bolow posted:

One of the few things I can be proud of. Never playing a Final Fantasy game.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

I did it in 2 tries no summons my first time with my friend telling me I was going to spend the rest of the night trying to beat them.

Similar story, but for me it was Four Kings. More like Four Kids imo, hosed those nerds up on the first try then had to help my friend with them on his umpteenth character. I went in there terrified because that same friend, among others, went on and on about how THE REEL DORK SOLES STARTS HERE and poo poo.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 11, 2014

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Getting back into Guild Wars 2 in time for the start of a new World vs. World season, and man it has changed a lot. Do any of you play this? I don't plan to join any of the goon guilds, as most of their old guard gets its collective jollies by dressing up anime princesses and posting about the latest shocking thoughtcrime committed by a banned guild member. Plus their server sucks at PvP.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

It's a legitimately good and fun exploration/PvP game in spite of the usual MMO bullshit. It goes on sale for $25-30 pretty frequently, and I've never had to pony up a nickel for it since I bought it.

Helldump Immunity. posted:

I tried out Loadout and it wasn't that appealing imho.

Yeah, it needs way more interesting maps.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
When I'm cosplaying my gun game fantasy hero, I always choose to be a fat, unshaven US Army E-1.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I'm pretty sure that the people who develop uniforms deliberately include features like hip pockets and mandarin collars to give junior NCOs something to police. They didn't include enough of those in the ACUs, of course, which is why blousing bands exist.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Helldump Immunity. posted:

So BF4 seems p fun again for the next 5 minutes lol

The new maps are pretty fun. The Carrier Assault mode is terrible. It's over in a few minutes and never seems to be remotely close or tense. It at least needs a carrier health meter at the top of everyone's screen like in 2142, and the permanent parachute spawn point above the enemy carrier when it's breached needs to go away.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 1, 2014

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Look at this dumb opinion. The new expansion is really good and carrier assault owns. Reminder that you could drop pod onto the enemy Titan in 2142z

You missed the point, dum-dum. You had to have a beacon on the titan or an APC parked below it to drop pod. You weren't given an uncappable spawn directly above it.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

I hate uncharted so I guess I'll just plan on skipping it again then.

Also gently caress how much longer for the true version of Dark Souls 2

Giant Bomb has a quick look. I skipped to somewhere in the middle that was just the guy getting the poo poo kicked out of him by random hollows, and man does this game look good on PC.

e: gently caress you Miss Piggy

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 9, 2014

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Nobnob posted:

Some people think so, others call it the best game ever invented.

Coincidentally, those groups are also "people who didn't preorder the game before playing the beta" and "people who did." I'm going to leave aside its dull combat and other idiotic mechanics and say it's kind of a neat exploration game, with books everywhere and a cheese/apple in every basket. That's one of the very few carryovers from the single player experience. Basically everything else is typical MMO bullshit designed to arbitrarily extend the time spent repeating identical content (oh wait, I guess that's a lot like Skyrim after all :v:). I don't know about "best PvP since DAoC." The lovely mechanics hamstring any potential in that arena.

e: And not to be a huge shill, but GW2 really does have the best PvP since DAoC, backed up by real class variety and fast-paced, mobile combat. It's 50% off right now. I don't mean to set up a GW2 vs. ESO argument, since to me one is just a neat PvP game I pick up and play for a while with friends about twice a year like DayZ and the other is a soul-sucking grindy piece of poo poo like WoW.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 10, 2014

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Heads up, Dark Souls 2 unlocks at 6:00 PM Eastern/3:00 PM Pacific TOMORROW.

I'm super mad because I have to go in to the office tomorrow.

I'm pretty put out as well. I won't be able to put more than an hour into it until Sunday.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

rising storm is hands down way better

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Is it true that there's a limited amount of the effigies though?

I don't think so. They seem to be a random drop off enemy NPCs. But they are fairly rare. The best way to get humanity back is to accomplish some multiplayer objective, whether that's killing enough stuff with the small white soapstone, killing a boss with the normal white soapstone, killing a player with the cracked red eye orb, or whatever else.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I've only had about six hours to play DS2 since release. I've been stuck on the three sentinels for two nights. I put down white soapstone last night to learn the fight but none of the people who summoned me were successful.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

tuluk posted:

Broke down and bought the weekend deal for chivalry bundle on steam.
It's not the same as DIE BY THE SWORD's granular sword simulation, but it's close enough.
Nothing can replicate hacking off a kobolds leg then picking up the kobold leg and beating a fat orc to death with it.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/219640/

http://www.gog.com/game/die_by_the_sword_expansion

Remember to just stick to the base game. I tried out the Deadliest Warrior (mod?) last night and holy hell is it bad.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Target is doing a pretty insane deal for trade-ins. You get 3x the trade in value for a crapton of games in Target gift cards this week

http://www.targettradeinprogram.com/

Sure, let me just go pull out all these physical copies of games I have lying around and trade them in physically with like my hands or something for fiat dollars :rolleyes:

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
This weekend is gonna be immersing myself in all the CK2 DLC I bought midweek. Lord of the Israeli Empire here I come.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Mad Pino Rage posted:

Witcher 3 pre-order on the front page says 10% off, but the page lists it as 20% off. I made the purchase. Hell, I just started playing the first game, and for a game that came out in 2007, it looks fantastic. Best drat fantasy RPG I've played since Dragon Age: Origins. Anything that lets me get drunk, gently caress all the women in the game, do drugs, and run around cutting the heads and limbs off monsters and bad guys rules.

If you actually like the first one, you're in for a huge treat when you get to The Witcher 2. Play it at least twice; Acts 2 and 3 are vastly different depending on a binary choice made in Act 1. I've found that most people don't really believe that and think it's Mass Effect red/blue option bullshit that changes dialog options or whatever, but you actually only see a little under half of the game in one playthrough. Even the second half of Act 3 (added in the Enhanced Edition) is path-specific.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Yeah but will it have toilets and the ability to haul child sex slaves in the hold and then vent the air if the feds track you down 'cuz the fine for hauling child corpses is less :xd: (literally something someone in SC wants to be a thing you can do in the 'verse)

what's worse killing babies IRL or having sex with them in a video game

hmm makes u think

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Booblord Zagats posted:

Really that and every modern RTS that isn't World In Conflict are either the exact same "APM-fest" like Starcraft and DOTA or some boring micromanagement simulator that can only be fun when playing with someone within a pube's width of your skill level like the Wargame series.

Uh, Crusader Kings II.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Arkham Origins: 5bux on green man, worth it? I heard it was a buggy mess.

I bought it for 7 bucks and decided after about three hours that they'd have to pay me to keep going. It's bland schlock and the definition of a waste of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

In my opinion, the number of strong characters of both genders is unrealistically high in video games. Tomb Raider should open with a dumpy British HR clerk and the impotent goon she met on AdultFriendFinder trying to survive the wreck of their Carnival cruise ship. Call of Duty should put you in the role of an emotionless grunt who has no choice but to follow strict, almost micromanaged orders through a linear story wherein he has exactly zero agency. GTAV should have just been the black guy.

• Locked thread