Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vasudus
May 30, 2003
XBL/Steam = username

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I just realized I have an extra copy of Civ V that someone can have if they want it. Leave yo steam name.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

overdesigned posted:

poo poo, i'll be that guy: steam is overdesigned

Apparently I have to send it via my friends list so send me a request or something.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Bought Dark Souls because why the gently caress not, life's challenging enough as it is might as well go backwards 20 years in video game difficulty.

I'm gonna die. A lot.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Games for Windows Live! is the biggest bunch of loving garbage. I just had to enter a CD Key and manually download an update to get Dark Souls working. A CD KEY. IN THE YEAR OF OUR LORD 2013.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Dark Souls: pretty goddamn hard. I need to be well rested for this poo poo, my reflexes aren't up to par right now.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

if its anything like Demons Souls you have to be like, at your peak and after that just hang it up because you have to be loving on point to kill a basic skeleton without taking serious damage

That's pretty much it. I walked up to the first "real" dude (a skeleton with a sword and shield) and he raped my face. Then I came back, approached it like I knew he was a murder machine and killed him. Then I'm fighting some sort of miniboss asylum demon and he's a rude dude. Looks pretty fun, but it's not a late night game for me.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The G&K expansion made Civ V much better. It's under a tenner during the steam sale. I put in like 40 hours towards it the past week or so, which is nearly more than I had previously ever put in it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Atom Zombie Smasher is a good indie game that was a good waste of $3.74.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
badidea.png

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yeah I don't know. poo poo's like some sort of schizoid-level madness. I just want to try the new expansion :smith:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's been inactive for 2 years or so. It's normally like that.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's a terrible game that's well past its prime. I haven't played it in forever. But I've been feeling like playing an MMO for a few weeks now and nothing else is good. Guild Wars 2 is poo poo, Secret World is poo poo, every other MMO is poo poo. WoW is still poo poo, but it's very well polished poo poo. Planetside 2 is a blast to play but there's a bug right now that's making a good portion of the playerbase not log in right now.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

AB posted:

Dwarf Fortress. Whenever you get bored, just play DF and mod the poo poo out of it.

Never really got into DF.

Godholio posted:

^Pirates of the Burning Seas.

What bug on PS2?

The Sunderer crash bug. Basically a certain rank of Blockade armor for them is bugged, and when destroyed with C4 or any other explosive weapon it will crash everyone in a given hex. So the fuckers from reddit abuse the poo poo out of it and basically roll a sunderer into a facility they want to cap, they crash everyone by teamkilling it, then their main force sweeps in to an empty or near empty facility. It's lame as poo poo and happens all the time during primetime. It's been like this for two weeks now because they're all on holiday and post-launch vacation.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Fallom posted:

I did the same thing and when I realized how long it'd take to get through the 1-60 content with a new character, even with the Cataclysm stuff, I just played the Panda starting area and quit.

I'm probably going to level my Paladin from 85->90 and make a monk. I should be able to experience probably 90% of the expansion that matters in the 10 day trial. I highly doubt that I'll resub for anything.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Godholio posted:

:laffo:

That's awesome and horrible. I haven't played in a few weeks, so I missed that one.

Under normal circumstances it's not that big of a deal, except with their vacation being when it is. Now everyone knows about it and everyone uses it, to include your own faction for both exploiting reasons and good old fashioned griefing. All of the senior developers get back to work this week though, so hopefully it's fixed shortly.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

AIDS CURES FAGGOTS posted:

Been playing it quite a bit lately and I haven't noticed it at all. Guess I am just lucky.

Probably, try taking any Biolab/Tech/Amp from VS and see what happens. Particularly on Indar. You'll crash and find all your hard work eliminated.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Defleshed posted:

e: I see you play a Paladin. Paladin damage is goddamned terrible. Recommend playing literally any other class if you want to have fun!

I switched to my DK almost immediately. 10x better.

I'm not sure if I'm impressed or not from what I've seen so far. Maybe it's because I haven't touched the game for 2 years until now and I just expect a different game or something. I don't know. I'm probably screw around for my 10 day trial and then take a scroll of resurrection for another free 30 days.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

vacation in kabul posted:

I quit playing PS2 because apparently if you don't pump money into it you'll never be any good. gently caress you SOE, gently caress you.

The default weapons are like some of the best guns though. Sole exception to this is Heavy Assault class, at least for NC.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
PS2, TF2 and LoL have the best F2P models. A I guess Dota 2 does but I don't know anything about that personally.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Godholio posted:

What's that third one?

League of Legends.

Fallom posted:

PS2's F2P stuff is ok. It doesn't feel really scammy but it's still a huge bummer to run into people who can kill you a lot faster depending on how much money they spent or how much longer they've been playing it.

Like when you're just starting out you won't have missile defense for your tank, its armor will be really low, and the acquisition timer will be really high so it's really frustrating getting taken out by a single guy standing on a cliff with lock-on missiles before you can move out of range or into cover. Same goes for dealing with rocket pods on aircraft, which were really rare during the beta but are everywhere in the release version.

People playing longer should be able to beat you, that's just part of the game. It's a MMO FPS. There are a few things that stand out from the F2P model that really suck though, namely the NC heavy assault starter gun being complete rear end (with the VS/TR guns being awesome) and the rocket pods for aircraft.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Or you can pay your way to skip all of the grind. Either way I'm not really that into it, I don't remember the gulf between new players and vets being as huge as it is in PS1 and I got sick of that game after like a year. I got tired of PS2 in like a week.

The only thing you can skip is the price of the guns. You still need to cert everything about your character or vehicles, and every detail about the guns themselves except for the base. And with the exception of the NC HA gun, all the starter guns are pretty amazing for infantry. Vehicles I'll concede on, at least for ESFs. Not having any rockets for them, A2A or A2G, is garbage.

The biggest gulf is the fact that having a sub/boosts simply lets you get certs faster. It adds up when you've been playing for awhile. The difference between me, who has like 200 hours logged with a sub, and someone who has say, 20 hours without one is the fact that while he might have a fully kitted out [class] and a half kitted out [vehicle], I've got almost everything kitted out with the must-haves, giving me much greater freedom.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Maybe it's cause I got into the initial PS1 release and played pretty consistently, but I don't ever remember the kind of off-balance poo poo I've seen in PS2 in PS1. Like I'll unload almost an entire clip on another light infantry dude, then he'll turn around and plink plink I'm dead. I just quit every time because respawning and finding good position just takes too drat long when I'm getting destroyed by someone with less skill than me because I don't have the right certs or whatever.

You're not...you're not playing an infil are you? Because if you are, that's your problem right there. They're loving terrible and need some serious work.

Fallom posted:

Nothing pisses me off more than trying to take out a guy at long distance, landing multiple shots without killing him, and then taking 3 perfect hits in a row and dying. Is it lag? I don't know.

It could be lag, or it could be that they have a weapon geared up for long range stuff. I rarely do anything long range personally, almost everything I use has laser sights for hip firing, and the stuff I do have for longer ranges doesn't get anything beyond a 2x reflex scope. Some people are goddamn savants with some weapons though, like a VS Nova shotgun with Slugs - which is a better sniper rifle than an actual sniper rifle.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

xwonderboyx posted:

Still not sure if I'm having fun playing PS2.

The game is pretty loving awful unless you're in a squad/platoon that at least has half an idea what they're doing. Then it's really, really fun.

This is why I play NC on Matherson.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Fallom posted:

I'm having fun right now playing as NC on Matherson, although the goon platoon doesn't seem to be making any progress anywhere.

What's the recommended gun for NC heavy assault? Is it the 50-shot one for 100 certs?

Overall - EM6. Close range - Anchor.

Actually, pretty much anything BUT the Gauss SAW.

Goon platoon progress is pretty varied depending on the time of day, who is leading and what we're up against. I'll probably start playing again after I get Skyrim out of my system.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

It took me to about level 15 in PS2 before I got "good" (1:1 kill ratio).

They actually are planning on removing the ability to see KDR because it's a bad stat for the game. Score/hour is a much better metric.

I semi-frequently go 100-120:1 in my Lightning so it throws my KDR way the gently caress off, because my infantry KDR is like 1.5:1, or 2.5:1 with assists. I am BR 47.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If you're not NC on Matherson you're doing it wrong.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Well if any of you chucklefucks still need a Higby's Heroes outfit invite yell at me over steam tonight and I'll log on and invite you.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The ME games are the only games I've ever gone 1000/1000 on because it was fun and I liked the game. That said, the end of 3 was so terrible that it's hard to describe without getting too :goonsay:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Normal w/o Ironman is hard as gently caress to begin with. Ironman Classic is an exercise in anger management. Game is still awesome though.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

So what mode should I play? I played one of the old xcoms once or twice wayyyyy back in the day.

Normal, non-ironman.

If you beat it, and you want more, then do Ironman Classic.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Also don't name your soldiers until they're at least LTs or CPTs :smith:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Anyone have a favorite rifle for NC Light Assault?

Close range: GD-7F. Literally the best gun in the game from a :eng101: standpoint. Put a double laser on that fucker and never use ADS, just hipfire.

Mid/Long: GD-23 Razor, AC-X11. The GD-23 is 30 rounds with pretty good accuracy/recoil, the AC-X11 hits harder, has higher recoil, and 20 rounds. Personally, I go with the GD-23 Razor.

This also doubles for the Engineer, since they share the same weapon pool.

Also, the Mauler S6 shotgun (with or without slugs) is an awesome choice as well.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
CoH is dead in the water since THQ was eaten alive by their creditors. I don't even know who has the IP anymore.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Turns out that not playing PS2 for three weeks and playing Skyrim and other unrelated games makes me pretty terrible when I try to hop back in to PS2.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The expansion was better.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Fallom posted:

PS2Chat:

Are there any weapons that are clear upgrades for an NC medic? I think I'm happy with all the accessories and upgrades I've got so far, and I'm not sure what else I want to spend my certs on.

The absolute best guns period are either the NS-11A (or the NS-11A Platinum if you get the Gamestop card), or the Carnage BR. They don't necessarily have the best TTK, or the best recoil pattern, or the best rate of fire. But they are top 3 of everything. It's almost cheating when you compare them to the rest of the NC weapons, because they perform more like TR guns. If I had to pick between the two, I would say the Carnage BR over the NS-11A, but either which are absolutely amazing.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Red87 posted:

I'm kind of fond of the Reaper DMR. It only has 20 rounds but they do a fuckload of damage; recoil doesn't seem terrible but its nowhere near as nice as the NS-11 or the default gun.. I guess that's also why I like the Gauss SAW and the AC-X11. I love guns that hit like a truck.

The DMR has its uses, absolutely. But that's really not a good gun for people starting out. The recoil compared to any other gun is miserably bad (the AC-X11 has the same pattern) and the 20 round mag can be extremely frustrating. It sure does hit hard though, that's for sure.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Path of Exile is okay, I guess. It's most definitely an ARPG, that's for sure. I'm kinda glad that it's free because I would have a hard time with it otherwise. The absolutely massive passive skilltrees and the way they handle active abilities is kinda rad though.

edit: Ok, this game is totally the spiritual successor to D2. I just gambled my primary weapon and ended up loving up the amount of gem slots it has hardcore, making it impossible for my character to use it AND it has the only blue gem slot in my gear to use my primary ability. Deleting character now wooo.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Playing a cold-based Witch now after my 2h Blood Magic Marauder ran out of steam. Pretty fun game overall, though it's still very much beta on both the front and the back ends of it. Monster variety is lacking and the party dynamics are pretty poo poo. I don't like that the loot is shared.

Best of all though, it's 100% free and the stuff that they offer for microtransactions can't even remotely be considered Pay2Win.

• Locked thread