Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
There's a lot of stuff in it reminded me of World War Z, but 부산행 is much faster paced and I enjoyed it a lot more than World War Z.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I would really like to get ahold of The Chaser on Blu-Ray. If anyone has any suggestions on how to do so, please let me know via message. Thanks.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I would really like to get ahold of The Chaser on Blu-Ray. If anyone has any suggestions on how to do so, please let me know via message. Thanks.

Been trying to get one myself, I know the Netflix version is clearly a 1080p version but as far as an actual disc copy, I haven't found one.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Finally caught Train to Busan this weekend. Maybe there isn't anything especially novel about it, but it executes really well, and it doesn't feel like it derives too much from any one source. I thought the characters were especially well drawn; even those that had little characterization still felt like real human beings. It pulled off tension in short bursts really well. I preferred the first two acts that were more thriller to the more horror-like third act.

One question I had: When I hear 'the one safe place in the country is Busan', as someone who's never lived in Korea, I can't help but think of 1950. Would it be thought of that way by modern Koreans, or is Busan for most people just a nice coastal town to escape to? I felt the metaphor was very clear in the movie itself, I'm just wondering how familiar the general public would be with it.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 11, 2016

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I watched this recently

It's a horror epic. Really well done.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
cool story, bro

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I just saw Train to Busan.

I certainly enjoyed it, I think it was a pretty good take on the whole 'fast zombie' genre. Is there anything else like it in the world of Korean cinema? (I'm speaking less on the straight up horror side and more on the thriller side)

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone see The Handmaiden yet?

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
I'm real excited for it. If there was one thing that book needed more of, it was sex and violence (zero sarcasm intended - it was a very boring, long book that consisted mostly of significant glances and angst, from my memory). It looks like the movie is set to deliver on that in spades.

I have to wait for the late October release in the US though.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

I've seen it. It's got really gorgeous visuals and costuming. There's a lot more sex and violence than in the book. It was a pretty tense ride as someone who hadn't read the book before; I picked up a copy after, but it kind of pales in comparison with the movie as my first impression.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Handmaiden makes you feel like a pervert by the end of it. Compelling from start to finish though, one of my favorites of the year. So ambitious.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Just saw The Handmaiden and I like how it balanced out trademark Park Chan Wook violence/disturbing content (violence isn't the big thing, swap it out for on-screen sex), a well-woven multiple perception plot, and dark humor.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Just saw Age of Shadows in the theater yesterday. Wanted to see Asura, but got the dates mixed up. Age of Shadows firmly competent period peice of the 1920. Opens up with a beautifully crafted and choreographed chase scene and fizzled into a boring nationalistic kdrama for the remainder. The Japanese characters are hilariously bloodthirsty.

Turns out that true brotherhood is crafted by having an authority figure make a resistance member and the worst undercover cop day drunk. There is no cat and mouse in this movie.

God, I want to watch Asura.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Finally got around to seeing The Man From Nowhere. It was like Safe with Jason Statham but with actual talent behind and in front of the camera driven by some legitimately emotional moments and great fight scenes! Godamn the protagonist was so handsome. That helped to. Statham looks like a football somebody left on a grill.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I saw The Handmaiden the other day and it is a drat near perfect film. The color palette and cinematography remind me a lot of Thirst and the sexual themes obviously take their queue from Stoker, but it's very much its own film. My only complaint is with the presentation of the twist. The film is almost entirely "unreliable perspective" except for the line where Sook-hee says Hideko has accepted Fujiwara's proposal on the condition that Sook-hee accompanies her to Japan. This turns it into a "deceptive narrator" and that bothers me because rather than the film maker pulling a fast one, it's the characters themselves misleading you through the second chapter. It seems like this would be easy to fix with slightly different editing or an added scene of dialog that was shown first with an out of context line and then later with the whole exchange, but oh well. It certainly doesn't ruin the movie. It just stood out to me as the one bit of storytelling that seemed off especially since there are visual queues included in the first part that hint at the fact that you aren't getting the whole story, notably the rope hanging from the tree when Sook-hee and Hideko flee.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

:hellyeah:

https://drafthouse.com/show/the-handmaiden

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

So Amazon Prime has a movie, "The Gift". Young guy gets laid off from his job, loses girlfriend shortly after. Starts out playing it straight working menial jobs for poo poo pay and then graduates to increasingly serious crimes.

Not bad.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Zwabu posted:

So Amazon Prime has a movie, "The Gift". Young guy gets laid off from his job, loses girlfriend shortly after. Starts out playing it straight working menial jobs for poo poo pay and then graduates to increasingly serious crimes.

Not bad.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4023894/

?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I saw the Wailing last week and it was great! We stayed out for like another hour trying to piece together the plot though. I like how instead of seeing all the horror, instead it mostly focused on the main character and his increasing helplessness to the situation.

I'm pretty sure no matter what the Japanese and shaman were definitely evil, but my group couldn't reach a consensus on whether the woman was evil or not. I argued she was good because of the wilting flower imagery and when the shaman did the ritual the daughter was the one that was mostly attacked, not the Jap, which led me to believe that the woman had possessed her to help her out. But then she also stole stuff...but when the main character went home the flowers wiltedAAAAARGH

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus

Artelier posted:

I saw the Wailing last week and it was great! We stayed out for like another hour trying to piece together the plot though. I like how instead of seeing all the horror, instead it mostly focused on the main character and his increasing helplessness to the situation.

I'm pretty sure no matter what the Japanese and shaman were definitely evil, but my group couldn't reach a consensus on whether the woman was evil or not. I argued she was good because of the wilting flower imagery and when the shaman did the ritual the daughter was the one that was mostly attacked, not the Jap, which led me to believe that the woman had possessed her to help her out. But then she also stole stuff...but when the main character went home the flowers wiltedAAAAARGH

This video cleared up a lot of things for me and made me notice some details I missed. It also goes in the Korean ghost folklore that the movie is based on. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxjp2YIk798

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah that's it. Sorry, it was "Gifted".

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Secx posted:

This video cleared up a lot of things for me and made me notice some details I missed. It also goes in the Korean ghost folklore that the movie is based on. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxjp2YIk798

Thanks, that's a choice link and helped out a lot!

I decided to track down and catch the director's previous film, The Chaser and it was great and :cry: :cry: :cry:

i felt so bad for Mijin

so bad

She is forced to do sex work at a time she was feeling unwell, had to leave her daughter at home, was almost murdered, wakes up to find two dead bodies, frees herself, goes home to find her house has been broken into and her daughter is missing, calls her pimp, pimp doesn't reply, seeks refuge in nearby shop, murderer coincidentally buys stuff there and finds out she's there too, murders shopkeeper and Mijin and sigh

Great film but that sequence made me feel super down.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The Chaser is one of my favorites. Though I first watched it the same day I watched I Saw The Devil and man are those two movies mixed up in my head. Both are great though.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Just saw The World of Us . 2016. It is a very serious drama between 9 year old girls. I was astounded at how well these literal children were playing catty bitches and the reciting complicated lines with emotion.

The pacing is fatiguing near the middle. There seems to be 2 emotional gut punches too many. It hits the laundry lists of childhood tragedy at a breakneck speed and really never stops.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
The Handmaiden was SO beautiful. I loved all the outdoor scenes - seeing mainly movies set in cities, I never realized how lush South Korea can be. Makes me want to find a good nature doc about the country.

Atlas Hugged posted:

My only complaint is with the presentation of the twist. The film is almost entirely "unreliable perspective" except for the line where Sook-hee says Hideko has accepted Fujiwara's proposal on the condition that Sook-hee accompanies her to Japan. This turns it into a "deceptive narrator" and that bothers me because rather than the film maker pulling a fast one, it's the characters themselves misleading you through the second chapter. It seems like this would be easy to fix with slightly different editing or an added scene of dialog that was shown first with an out of context line and then later with the whole exchange, but oh well. It certainly doesn't ruin the movie. It just stood out to me as the one bit of storytelling that seemed off especially since there are visual queues included in the first part that hint at the fact that you aren't getting the whole story, notably the rope hanging from the tree when Sook-hee and Hideko flee.

I agree with this. It was a small but annoying misstep. Relevant to this, the changes from the book were interesting - the first act and the first half of the second are pretty much identical, but it takes a big turn at the point you were talking about. Without getting into much detail, I thought the movie version was much simpler, and ultimately more empowering and cathartic. It was probably necessary due to time constraints anyway; it's already a long movie, and strictly following the book would have made it twice as long.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

I just got back from watching The Handmaiden a second time. The first time I just went with my SO, but the second time I managed to drag along five other friends to watch it with me.

Man, I was extremely impressed with this movie. I read Fingersmith in high school, and I never imagined that it would ever get a movie adaptation, much less from Park Chan-Wook! I was really looking forward to this the moment it was announced. While it's been a while since I last read the book, I do think that the final act of the movie was pretty different, but I think I prefer the movie version of it. I didn't expect the romance to as sweet as it was, and I think everyone involved pulled that off very well. It's a really visceral film too, I really liked the care taken in both the presentation and setting...made everything feel textured and lush. Hopefully a blu ray comes out soon with it because I'm snapping that up asap.

I also heard that there's apparently an extended edition or a director's cut? Hopefully that makes its way stateside.

rufousnightjar
Oct 29, 2016

Akarshi posted:

Man, I was extremely impressed with this movie. I read Fingersmith in high school, and I never imagined that it would ever get a movie adaptation, much less from Park Chan-Wook! I was really looking forward to this the moment it was announced. While it's been a while since I last read the book, I do think that the final act of the movie was pretty different, but I think I prefer the movie version of it. I didn't expect the romance to as sweet as it was, and I think everyone involved pulled that off very well. It's a really visceral film too, I really liked the care taken in both the presentation and setting...made everything feel textured and lush. Hopefully a blu ray comes out soon with it because I'm snapping that up asap.

Once this was first announced I actually went and read Fingersmith for the first time. I'd read one of Sarah Waters other novels before, Affinity, but wasn't exactly floored by it. I enjoyed Fingersmith a lot more. I agree with you that I actually prefer the third act of the movie to the third act of Fingersmith? Once Maud is revealed to be Mrs. Sucksby's daughter, and Sue is actually Marianne's daughter it gets to be one twist too many.
And as much as I love Sally Hawkins as Sue, the 2005 TV adaptation of Fingersmith suffers from being too soapy and having a lower budget. So I prefer The Handmaiden as an adaptation, as I think it captures the spirit of the book a bit better.

Also you read Fingersmith in high school? drat. That book is much more sexually explicit than anything my high school would have allowed.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just saw The Handmaiden and felt like the twist was almost unnecessary and it would've been as effective, if not even more so played out just straight but that didn't matter because overall the movie was fantastic. Up there with Chan Park-Wook's best thoughI still prefer Thirst and Oldboy.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I watched The Tiger last night, pretty fun, although the CGI tiger sometimes steals the show.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, uhh, wow at The Handmaiden, it kept consistently taking my breath away, provoking me, disturbing me, and punching me in the gut. Also occasional dark chuckles and feelings of Haneke-like condemning of the audience as voyeur. Perception and framing and context and shifting changing interpretations of everything, sex itself changed, from disturbing, to perverse, to making you feel like one of the dirty old men, to beautiful and liberating, to fake and acted, and an actress playing an actress reciting a recital. I'm still kinda mindblown sorry.

Was the sudden cut from the twist back to the front of the madhouse meant to be a fake twist in a twist? I mean when I saw the film, them suddenly just cutting right to Hideko made me think that whole twist was actually just in her head. Like for a second, while she watched Sook-Hee be dragged away, she imagined what an almost more fairytale ending might have been like if Sook-Hee had managed to prove her love in the end...and the sudden feeling of complete loving deflating was just like WHOOOMP breath just sucked away, gently caress.
Obviously not long after I got that it was indeed just a continuation of what had been revealed, but with the way it cut it just made me feel like the director had me on a drat rollercoaster. From minute to minute I wasn't sure whether to condemn or embrace. At moments it was just suddenly a horror movie, some of those cuts to that old lady haha.

there were just many moments...he way he kept reframing old scenes, giving them new meaning, that final reveal of the wedding night and the way that scoundrel described it, those just deserts, the bells ringing over the ocean. nervous chuckles and awe from the audience. wow.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 20, 2016

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just watched The Handmaiden too. And I definitely agree with when the earlier scenes got replayed we now got full context to the situation and even though it was the same exact cut it was used wonderfully to explain further motivations of the characters. Really enjoyed the movie even though it was 2h30 or whatever it flew by. I am going to try watch some of Park Chan Wooks other works. I did watch Stoker but I didn't know he was the director behind it or I don't remember.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Ulio posted:

Just watched The Handmaiden too. And I definitely agree with when the earlier scenes got replayed we now got full context to the situation and even though it was the same exact cut it was used wonderfully to explain further motivations of the characters. Really enjoyed the movie even though it was 2h30 or whatever it flew by. I am going to try watch some of Park Chan Wooks other works. I did watch Stoker but I didn't know he was the director behind it or I don't remember.

I don't think he's made a bad film. I did a watch through of his filmography a few years ago and enjoyed every minute of it. Everyone talks up Oldboy, but the real gem is Sympathy for Lady Vengeance.

Anyway, I just saw Train to Busan. It wasn't terrible or anything but I definitely don't think it deserves the hype it's been getting. I couldn't help comparing it to Snowpiercer, especially after having watched the Every Frame's a Painting episode on it and the use of left-right editing. Train to Busan comes across as comparatively amateur and a little hokey. Overall the acting, and the child acting especially, was pretty good, but the zombies themselves were garbage. I hated their janky movement and super speed and the way they had them all gnashing at the air was highly comical. The most surprising thing was that Moonlight Sonata wasn't the piece played at the incredibly melodramatic climax. I was also annoyed at the throwaway scene at the start of the film with the deer coming back to life. Either that needed to come up again in the movie or it shouldn't have been included at all. You can't just show that the infection affects animals as well and then never have that be a part of the film. It was included for shock value alone and that's not good film making.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Atlas Hugged posted:

Anyway, I just saw Train to Busan.

I thought this movie was absolute poo poo except for the koreans being lovely to each other like real life and the boys on the sports team tickling each other because there are no gay people in korea.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

ladron posted:

I thought this movie was absolute poo poo except for the koreans being lovely to each other like real life and the boys on the sports team tickling each other because there are no gay people in korea.

Checks out.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Atlas Hugged posted:

I don't think he's made a bad film. I did a watch through of his filmography a few years ago and enjoyed every minute of it. Everyone talks up Oldboy, but the real gem is Sympathy for Lady Vengeance.

I haven't watched either of those but Oldboy has been in my to watch list for a longtime. Hearing such high praise for it throughout the years, it makes me want to watch Sympathy for Lady Vengeance too. I'll try to watch those two next.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance was my second favorite film of his for a while, after Oldboy. That's definitely changed with The Handmaiden, though I really don't know where I'd rank it.
Still have a DVD copy of Thirst I never watched. Gotta get on that. I thought Stoker was fine-ish but whatever and I'm not really a fan of Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance all that much.

On the other hand I hated Kim Jee-woon's I Saw the Devil and thought it was mediocre as gently caress and a lot of people love that from what I can tell so my taste can be weird.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance is the best film, ever

ftfy

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Muted calls for The Handmaiden to win something or at least be nominated at the Oscars.

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/11/the-handmaiden-park-chan-wook-oscar-korea-consider-this-1201749845/

Would be entirely deserving, so it definitely won't happen.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Train to Busan is very, very effective. I think the first three-quarters of the film (before they get off the train, the second time) are the best, although the very end itself is still good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Oldboy is the worst of Park Chan-Wook's revenge trilogy.

Has anybody see "The Wailing"? I really enjoyed "The Chaser" and "The Yellow Sea", but couldn't get into "The Wailing" at all, and ended up turning it off after like 30 mins.

• Locked thread