Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Put me down in the "must see" column for Memories of Murder. I just reactivated the disc portion of my Netflix membership just so I could get a hold of this and watch it, and I'm not sorry I did.

I'd read a description of the final scene, but the way it came across watching it was different and better than what I expected. What a gut punch. One that will haunt you. I do agree that it seems likely this had a significant influence on Zodiac.

I don't know if there's a name for cinematography techniques or styles of the new crop of strong S. Korean directors, but the nighttime city scenes in films like The Chaser are really wonderful to look at, so crisp and precise.

Next up: Mother and Thirst on the old Netflix streaming queue, with Brotherhood of War and non-dubbed Oldboy to come as discs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Why is South Korea, specifically, the Asian country putting out the most interesting and well made cinema right now? What happened to the good Chinese filmmakers from 10-15 years ago, did they just fizzle out or lose government support? What of Japan, seems like you don't hear a lot about Japanese film anymore.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

It was not a better tomorrow. The main characters looked to be police if that's any help. So it's a cop movie with a massive gunfight. I can't imagine that actually narrows it down that much.

Hard Boiled, a Chinese (Hong Kong) movie, fits this description with the main characters being cops, and shootouts at both a dock and a warehouse (big one at the warehouse) and then a really huge one around a hospital at the end.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Did Netflix streaming service just get an influx of Korean films it hasn't had before? And Asian films in general? Maybe I haven't been checking enough but it looks like I suddenly see a bunch of new ones.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Stare-Out posted:

Just rewatched Memories of Murder and yup, still an excellent loving movie. Are there any other movies similar to it out there worth a watch? Primarily talking about quality thrillers/crime procedurals here.

Zodiac (cough cough).

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

So Amazon Prime has a movie, "The Gift". Young guy gets laid off from his job, loses girlfriend shortly after. Starts out playing it straight working menial jobs for poo poo pay and then graduates to increasingly serious crimes.

Not bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah that's it. Sorry, it was "Gifted".

• Locked thread