Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

Ones I've got that I'm iffy on watching: Barking Dogs Never Bite, Tazza: The High Rollers, Cold Fish (Japanese)

I've seen a good chunk of the ones you've seen, and of the ones you said you're iffy on I've only seen these and would recommend all of them. Incidentally if anyone knows where I can get the soundtrack to Barking Dogs Never Bite for less than 60 bucks I'd be grateful.

As for suggestions, it seems you haven't seen Bedeviled. I'd definitely check that out. It's carried by a really, really good central performance and gets pretty tense. It's about a woman dealing with the death of her daughter, but it's not anything like Secret Sunshine if that similarity puts you off at all.

If you like period pieces, maybe check out Frozen Flower. It's fairly predictable and loses some steam towards the end but the performances are great and it's not bad, although the sex scenes are probably overkill. It's about an heirless king having the head of his royal guard who is also his lover impregnate the queen, and the ~*drama*~ that ensues.

And try Sunny as well. It's a light comedy about a woman remembering her school friends and trying to reunite them as one of them is dying, jumping back and forward between the two time periods. I was surprised I liked it as much as I did, as it's not particularly the sort of thing I usually enjoy but I watched it after some positive word of mouth and I'm glad I did.

And just because you mentioned Cold Fish I'm going to throw in a recommendation for Love Exposure by the same director if you haven't seen it, though it's Japanese and not Korean. It's 4 hours long and kind of bananas, it's about a kid who gets involved with upskirt photography as a way of getting his priest father's attention, and then a cult gets involved and a girl falls in love with him thinking he's a lady superhero and it kind of goes off the rails in an amazing way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

I've only seen one of his films (Samaritan Girl) but I wasn't really paying enough attention to follow it well enough to make a proper judgement on it, which is a bad habit I have when watching stuff on my laptop. His stuff at least always sounds interesting, even if it doesn't seem like something I'd necessarily like (or understand), that I want to check out more of his work. I've been sitting on 3-Iron and Spring, Summer... for a while now. Maybe I'll watch one of those tonight.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

I just watched 3-Iron last night and I can kiiiiiiinda see where accusations of misogyny would come from, though I think for this film that would be a bit too strong a word. Problematic I can see, maybe veering on benevolent sexism depending on how you want to read it, but misogynist feels like a stretch. It's something that will be on my mind when I watch more of his films though, because I've heard that a lot, too.

Anyway, 3-Iron. It was a fair bit different than I was expecting even knowing the premise. I wasn't expecting my first though afterwards to be about the disenfranchised as ghosts phasing in and out of "our" world. There were a lot really great scenes, and while I think the leads sometimes fell just a little bit short of carrying two wordless performances (should this even be a spoiler? I figure better safe than sorry), I liked it quite a lot.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

I enjoyed 3-Iron. Time is also pretty good, I thought, and both of them are pretty accessible, especially compared to Samaria. Can't compare them to Spring, Summer... because I haven't seen it yet. That's about the extent of my Kim Ki-Duk knowledge.

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

I just saw Pieta last week (in a theatre with like 6 other people, including an old couple in front of me that was laughing throughout. That was a weird one.) and thought it was the most Kim Ki-duk film there could ever be. Sounds like I was wrong.

• Locked thread