Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Some Guy TT posted:

By the way, Cyrano Agency is pretty much the exact opposite of A Better Tomorrow. It's a romantic comedy about an agency that helps shy people get significant others by setting up extremely elaborate romantic comedy setpieces so they can meet cute. If the concept alone isn't enough to make you want to watch that movie, well, there's really not much else to say. They also made a TV drama based on the same idea last year.

Just watched this, it was funny and cute :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
So has anyone seen the US release of Snowpiercer yet? It doesn't come to Chicago until this weekend but I'm curious if it really is exactly the same cut as the original Korean release.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
It came out in NYC and LA opening weekend and opens everywhere else on the 4th. But at least in Chicago it's only showing in an art house/indie theater that I had never even heard of until now which is really stupid.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
If you've never seen Oldboy you should go watch it right now, just don't watch the terrible american remake. New World is also good, it's basically just a Korean version of The Departed/Infernal Affairs.

Also, Snowpiercer is Bong Joon-Ho's first English language movie, and I thought it was available on netflix but I guess it's not streaming right now. You might be able to find it on amazon prime or some other streaming service though.

edit: vvv oh I'm dumb :v:

astr0man fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 2, 2015

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Also, if you want a change of pace from super serious dramas here's some lighthearted korean movies that are currently or at one time were available on netflix:
Sunny - one of my favorite Korean movies, it feels a lot like an 80s american movie to me (think breakfast club I guess?)
A Werewolf Boy - this was on that instawatcher list, it's cute but kind of weird
Cyrano Agency - pretty standard rom-com
200 Pounds Beauty - if you are into any Korean pop culture outside of films you might like it, otherwise you probably won't be interested. it's a rom-com but also addresses the hosed up ideas about plastic surgery in the Korean entertainment industry

In other news I finally saw Myeongryang/Roaring Currents over the weekend. I thought it was good, but nothing amazing. But I can understand why Koreans loved it.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Guessing most of the people that read this thread have seen it already, but The Admiral: Roaring Currents (명량) is available on netflix streaming now.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I liked Assassination but the portrayal of how evil the Japanese occupiers were was kind of over the top, even for a Korean movie. i.e. the Japanese officer just outright murdering the one girl in the street for no reason

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Fat Care-Bear posted:

They've done worse things than that in real life

I'm familiar with the history and I get that. I still thought it took away from the movie some :shrug:

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Try 이현정 감독 (Lee Hyun-jung director)

http://www.koreanfilm.or.kr/jsp/films/index/peopleView.jsp?peopleCd=20168120

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
부산행 (Train to Busan) was a fun movie.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
There's a lot of stuff in it reminded me of World War Z, but 부산행 is much faster paced and I enjoyed it a lot more than World War Z.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
It's from seoul station, the animated prequel to train to busan

e: i just got that you thought he meant the actual station because yeah it is a good likeness lol

• Locked thread