Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I saw The Handmaiden the other day and it is a drat near perfect film. The color palette and cinematography remind me a lot of Thirst and the sexual themes obviously take their queue from Stoker, but it's very much its own film. My only complaint is with the presentation of the twist. The film is almost entirely "unreliable perspective" except for the line where Sook-hee says Hideko has accepted Fujiwara's proposal on the condition that Sook-hee accompanies her to Japan. This turns it into a "deceptive narrator" and that bothers me because rather than the film maker pulling a fast one, it's the characters themselves misleading you through the second chapter. It seems like this would be easy to fix with slightly different editing or an added scene of dialog that was shown first with an out of context line and then later with the whole exchange, but oh well. It certainly doesn't ruin the movie. It just stood out to me as the one bit of storytelling that seemed off especially since there are visual queues included in the first part that hint at the fact that you aren't getting the whole story, notably the rope hanging from the tree when Sook-hee and Hideko flee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Ulio posted:

Just watched The Handmaiden too. And I definitely agree with when the earlier scenes got replayed we now got full context to the situation and even though it was the same exact cut it was used wonderfully to explain further motivations of the characters. Really enjoyed the movie even though it was 2h30 or whatever it flew by. I am going to try watch some of Park Chan Wooks other works. I did watch Stoker but I didn't know he was the director behind it or I don't remember.

I don't think he's made a bad film. I did a watch through of his filmography a few years ago and enjoyed every minute of it. Everyone talks up Oldboy, but the real gem is Sympathy for Lady Vengeance.

Anyway, I just saw Train to Busan. It wasn't terrible or anything but I definitely don't think it deserves the hype it's been getting. I couldn't help comparing it to Snowpiercer, especially after having watched the Every Frame's a Painting episode on it and the use of left-right editing. Train to Busan comes across as comparatively amateur and a little hokey. Overall the acting, and the child acting especially, was pretty good, but the zombies themselves were garbage. I hated their janky movement and super speed and the way they had them all gnashing at the air was highly comical. The most surprising thing was that Moonlight Sonata wasn't the piece played at the incredibly melodramatic climax. I was also annoyed at the throwaway scene at the start of the film with the deer coming back to life. Either that needed to come up again in the movie or it shouldn't have been included at all. You can't just show that the infection affects animals as well and then never have that be a part of the film. It was included for shock value alone and that's not good film making.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

ladron posted:

I thought this movie was absolute poo poo except for the koreans being lovely to each other like real life and the boys on the sports team tickling each other because there are no gay people in korea.

Checks out.

• Locked thread