Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
Living in Korea for going on 9 years, I've see a lot of Korean movies. Much like American movies, a good deal of them are tripe, but there's still a few gems.

Park Chan Wook is awesome. Mr. Vengeance remains one of my all-time favorite movies. Song Gang Ho is such a good actor.

Kim Ki Duk I just don't get. I really feel like it's an emperor's new clothes kind of thing. I just don't think his movies are that great. With the exception of Pieta, there's always a woman who's a hooker or morally bankrupt and a character that doesn't talk.

One movie you may not have seen because it's Japanese (although about Korea, in a way) is Blood and Bones. I'd suggest checking it out if you like the depressing, gritty brutal life stories like Breathless (the original name is "poo poo Fly", which I think is much more appropriate).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
Hanging out with some friends last night , I remembered another interesting Korean movie Take Care of My Cat.

It's about 5 female friends and how their lives change after high school, following their dreams and whatnot. No blood or suspense or anything like that, just an interesting, well done movie.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

zandert33 posted:

Wow, Korea makes movies that don't have blood and suspense? Tell me more.

Take a look at the movies that have been named so far, and tell me how many have neither blood nor suspense.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Some Guy TT posted:

So, I'd like to take a minute to discuss the Korean Film Archive. It's a complex in the Mapo district of Seoul that stores film. What's really neat about is that they have a free film library and anyone can go in and watch any movie, from anywhere, ever, for free in one of the film kiosks. If you're not picky about what movies you watch, there's also a full theater in the basement of the complex with regular bi-weekly themes. Not always Korean ones, necessarily. Right now it's a retrospective on Korean horror films. The last one was high-concept Hollywood blockbusters, and before that was Westerns, including the few period Korean Westerns. The themes can get really specific and weird sometimes, like the time they did the complete works of Michael Werner Fassbinder. Whether foreign films have English subtitles usually depends on the prints they have. Sometimes they're preloaded with English subs, sometimes not, though Korean films typically don't have them unless it's a special series. Still, if you've ever wanted to see A Tale Of Two Sisters in a full-sized surround sound movie theater for free, this is your chance. Their English website is here. I'm there pretty much every day, so if you see a young foreigner that's probably me and you should say hi.

This is awesome and I had no idea.

AnonSpore posted:

So I'm in Korea for a few days and I caught Snowpiercer in theaters, is it kosher to discuss it in detail or is there a courtesy rule to wait until it hits western theaters? I enjoyed it a lot, though I do have some questions about the ending that I'm hoping I could discuss with other people.

I'd say ask, just put it in spoilers

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
I watched PAJU tonight. Interesting subplot about the redevelopment issues going on (maybe some of you in Korea remember the redevelopment protests going on at Yongsan a couple years ago). The movie as a whole was meh.

Also, I'd like to mention TAXI BLUES - a documentary that's not well done, but very interesting, about being a taxi driver in Seoul.

Another documentary is SHOCKING FAMILY - about how poo poo it is to be a woman/child in Korea. Again, not very well done, but very interesting.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Illinois Smith posted:

Can anyone recommend me some Kim Ki-Duk films? I loved Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter ... Spring, wasn't too crazy about Pieta and thought Bad Guy was a mixed bag but at least interesting.

Samaria is interesting in a teenage hooker kind of way.
The Isle is interesting in a disturbing way.

I think Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter ... Spring was probably his most mainstreamly accessible movie.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

LooKMaN posted:

3 Iron is amazing.

really? I found it to be one of his shittiest "What the gently caress did I just watch?" movies.

The original name is "Empty House", which is more appropriate at least

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
I found Time to be a huge social commentary on the ubiquity of plastic surgery in Korea.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Cool, this one is on Netflix (US at least). I haven't seen a Korean horror film in a while.

I'm curious on your perspective on this Some Guy, is South Korean horror not really being made anymore or does it just seem like that outside of the country? For a period there, it seemed like they were endless, I'm guessing brought on by the success of the larger Asian horror wave with such films like Ju-On and Ringu, but I haven't seen a paranormal SK horror movie in a while. I'd imagine I Saw the Devil and Bedevilled could be called horror, but the focus seems to have shifted away from ghosts, are people just tired of those films, or does it just seem that way because they're not getting international attention anymore?

I think it's just that movie topics come in waves. For US movies, there was a bunch about WW2, then aliens, then zombies, then superheroes, etc.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Hbomberguy posted:

Can any recommend any crime drama movies similar to bittersweet life, oldboy, memories of murder, i saw the devil, or the raid 2 ? I really like that sort of combination of intrigue and violence and want more.

And yes I know raid 2 isn't korean but it's very much in that style or genre.

Have you seen "ajeosshi"? I think the English title is "The Man from Nowhere" or something like that

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Hbomberguy posted:

I'll be sure to look into that ASAP. Are there any more?

Pretty much anything by Park Chan Wook, though his movies are not so much violent fighting as hosed up psychologically

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

NowonSA posted:

I'm trying to find the name of a South Korean movie I saw snippets of on AMC recently (around a month ago). It starred some sort of former cop or government agent who had his wife or girlfriend die in a car bomb in front of him. There was a scene where he was handcuffed and interrogated by clumsy-ish cops, and escaped when someone made a distraction for him. The movie ended with a rad fight scene where he was wearing a black suit and wielding a knife, taking out tons of goons and finally the villain. At the end he had a scene with a young girl, presumably the person he was trying to rescue.

I kind of tuned in and out, and it being on at like 3 a.m. didn't help, but I liked the bits I saw and want to check it out in full. If this sounds like a movie you've seen, I could use a point in the right direction. Thanks!

Ajoesshi or "The man from nowhere"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1527788/

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Esme posted:

Also, when they found the family of the engineer and that little boy dead in the hovel, what was going on there? It didn't look like a murder suicide situation so did they all just die of fan death or something?

They said the father fed them all pesticide, so yes, murder suicide

This is one of my favorite movies, Korean or not. The ending is just so perfect. Everybody dies

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Zwabu posted:

So Amazon Prime has a movie, "The Gift". Young guy gets laid off from his job, loses girlfriend shortly after. Starts out playing it straight working menial jobs for poo poo pay and then graduates to increasingly serious crimes.

Not bad.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4023894/

?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Atlas Hugged posted:

Anyway, I just saw Train to Busan.

I thought this movie was absolute poo poo except for the koreans being lovely to each other like real life and the boys on the sports team tickling each other because there are no gay people in korea.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance is the best film, ever

ftfy

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Davincie posted:

i thiiink you're talking about busan there, but my memory of either isn't really clear enough to confirm. anyway, here's what seoul station looks like at its worst

what is this from? It's an amazing likeness

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Lester Shy posted:

I liked the Vengeance trilogy and loved The Handmaiden, but Thirst was a little too aimless for me (or maybe it just went over my head). Stoker, JSA and I'm a Cyborg are the only ones I'm missing from his "main" filmography.

I'm a huge Park Chan Wook (and Song Gang Ho) fanboy, and I couldn't get into stoker even tho I started it like four times. Maybe because ti's in English? The cyborg one too me a couple tries to get started, but Stoker just never caught.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
edit: wrong korea thread

ladron fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 25, 2017

• Locked thread