Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lil sartre
Feb 12, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Some Guy TT posted:

I'm sure other goons will be listing their favorites in the posts right below my own as well,

Since you asked,

I haven't seen too many korean movies (and none from the op), but I'm gonna list the ones I liked. I went into most of them without knowing what they were about and I think I enjoyed them more because of that, so I'm also not gonna give too many details

Great movies

Mother - I think it's the one I liked most, tho Bedevilled and Chaser came really close. It's about a woman who's mentally ill son gets framed for murder, and she starts an investigation trying to prove his innocence.

Chaser - A former cop turned pimp is in a race against time to find one of his girls who's been kidnapped by a serial killler. One of the best thrillers I've ever seen

Bedevilled - I think this one should be seen without knowing anything about it, I know it worked for me that way

Good movies

The Revenge Trilogy - I guess everybody knows them, I liked Lady best

The Host - Saw it a long time ago, it's probably the best example of Korean style 9001 film genres crammed into one movie

Memories of murder - Dropkicks!

The man from nowhere - It's Taken meets Leon, but better than both. Main actor has anime hair but, thankfully, he gets a haircut. Has the best knife fight I've ever seen in a movie

The Yellow Sea - I liked the first half way more than the second where it goes into action movie mode, but it was extremely enjoyable nonetheless

Thirst - Ridiculous and hilarious vampire movie. The girl was amazing

A Bittersweet Life - Very well executed gangster flick, had a few great scenes

Joint Security Area - Pretty good, except the parts in english or french which were cringeworthy but thankfully they were few

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring - Really well made little buddhist movie

I saw the devil - Great acting and cinematography, horrible script. Towards the end I couldn't bring myself to care and even laughed at the ridiculous ending. By far the most disturbing korean movie I've seen, probably only this chinese movie called Revenge: A Love Story was more disturbing out of what I've seen the past few years.

Crying Fist - I knew it was about boxing and thought it's gonna be some Rocky crap, but ended up enjoying it

My Sassy Girl - The only romantic comedy I liked so much, by the end I was almost crying heh. Maybe should have put this one up there in the Great category..

Movie so bad it's good, also what the christ at that second part

Sex is Zero - Saw this years ago when I was in college and had 2 girls over. There was no sex that night :(

Bad

Attack the Gas Station - Pointless and unfunny, didn't laugh a single time and hated everybody in it

City of Violence - Turned it off half an hour in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lil sartre
Feb 12, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

qbert posted:

Recently watched The Thieves and I really enjoyed it. It's basically a mish-mash of Ocean's 11 and Mission: Impossible, with some standard heist film cliches built in, but it's all done fairly well. The actual main heist takes place like halfway through the film, which was surprising, as the movie still goes on for like 40 minutes after it, and has a whole separate big third act I wasn't expecting. Some pretty cool action sequences, fun characters, and basically a major plot twist every 10 minutes, I can totally understand how this became the highest grossing S. Korean film of all time.

I watched it today after seeing your post and I really enjoyed it, it had some flaws (like the contrived plot and some minor melodrama) but the good heavily outweighed the bad. What I liked most and made the movie for me was the cat burglar girl, the one that the other girls refer to as "that bitch", besides being stunning she was also hilarious; I looked her up after the movie (for.. erm.. a project) and turns out she was also in My Sassy Girl, which made me slap myself for not recognizing her cause I loved that movie and she was amazing in there too.

Other korean movies I've seen the last few days:

Pieta - it was good I guess? but I dont ever wanna see it again, it was that hosed up. I figured out the big twist pretty early on, but that didnt help me from going jesus christ what the gently caress etc

War of the Arrows - pretty enjoyable little action movie with arrows and poo poo. Nothing special, but I guess I liked the manchurian elite guys

lil sartre
Feb 12, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BioTech posted:

Both Memories of Murder and the Chaser are on my list, together with Pieta, Thirst, Brotherhood of War and Attack the Gas Station. Might be a while before I see all of those though, upcoming schedule is a lot busier than last week.

Check out The Yellow Sea and A Bittersweet Life too, as far as korean movies go they're up there with the best of them

• Locked thread