Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
I really enjoyed A Company Man and The Man From Nowhere, are there other Korean movies you guys would recommend that are similar?

Watched War of Arrows yesterday and enjoyed that. About to watch Masquerade. The hard part is finding these movies, when I lived in Sydney (Australia) there is a huge Korean community so easy enough to find DVDs. Not so much where I live now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I haven't seen A Company Man, but I'd recommend The Chaser, it matches the intensity of Man from Nowhere pretty well and has some similar themes. If you have Netflix, the Korean selection is pretty decent now.

Thanks. Netflix isn't available here yet. But this comment made me go through the effort to get it working.

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

If you're looking for revenge/action then in addition to The Chaser (top 3 favourites for me): Oldboy, A Bittersweet Life, No Mercy For the Rude (lots of comedy too, it's also about a hitman), The City of Violence, I Saw the Devil.
You could branch out to gangster flicks and get some more good movies to watch.

I tried watching War of Arrows once, but oh god the shaky cam was unbearable. Please post about Masquerade when you've watched it, I've been interested in watching it for a while.

So I've got The Chaser (or just Chaser as it's known on Netflix), Oldboy and I Saw the Devil lined up on Netflix. The others I couldn't find on there. Gangster sounds acceptable :D

I enjoyed Masquerade, I'm not that good at 'reviewing' movies, but I enjoyed it and I didn't start flicking through my phone while watching it. Generally that's a good sign that it interested me enough. The story itself is fairly interesting and the comedy breaks in it work well. Worth a watch in my opinion.

edit: The Fake sounds really interesting but not on netflix and local asian supermarket doesn't have it :(

EvilElmo fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jan 20, 2014

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

Ok, if you want gangsters too there are a ton of great options.

Thanks. None of them are available on netflix except rough cut. I'll check the local market and see if I can get it there. I'll make myself a long list for when I next visit Sydney (large Korean population, so lots of shops).

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Thank you so much for this recommendation. Just finished watching it and holy poo poo did I enjoy it.

9/10 would bang my sister.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Just finished watching 'Secretly, Greatly'.

I enjoyed it. It could have been better sure, but I didn't find myself wanting to flick through my phone while watching it. I'd recommend watching it.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
About to start watching Hot Young Bloods.

Will report back.

edit: Worth watching. I love the hair, watch it just for the hair.

EvilElmo fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Sep 29, 2014

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

Koramei posted:

I like all three of the leads in it so I really wanted to like it but I felt like it fell apart in the last third or so. Before that it was great though.

Yeah. I don't think it carried itself very well towards the end. I think it could have made a decent mini series, around 10 episodes long. The characters could have developed a bit better.

To be honest, I started to expect an ending where pretty much everyone died. But maybe I've watched too many dark Korean/Japanese movies lately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

pigdog posted:

Just saw The Handmaiden

:stare::fh:

Besides the usual stuff you might expect from Park Chan-wook's films, I was really impressed with how romantic, and touching some of the scenes were.

Yeah, after being recommended this and being told it has a few sex scenes in it. I watched it with my in-laws.

Big mistake.

• Locked thread