Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
I just watched Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance for the first time. It's probably my least favorite of the trilogy, but still very enjoyable. That ending, holy poo poo. I almost died laughing when the actual communist terrorists showed up.

Also, when they found the family of the engineer and that little boy dead in the hovel, what was going on there? It didn't look like a murder suicide situation so did they all just die of fan death or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

ladron posted:

They said the father fed them all pesticide, so yes, murder suicide

This is one of my favorite movies, Korean or not. The ending is just so perfect. Everybody dies

Ah, thanks, I must have missed that line.

You know, I think I would have liked the movie a lot more if it weren't for the sound direction. The constant, obtrusive background noises during otherwise silent scenes gave me a headache. I can see why they did it that way, and I think it was a really clever choice, but it also had me cringing through half the movie and made certain scenes feel interminable.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

I'm real excited for it. If there was one thing that book needed more of, it was sex and violence (zero sarcasm intended - it was a very boring, long book that consisted mostly of significant glances and angst, from my memory). It looks like the movie is set to deliver on that in spades.

I have to wait for the late October release in the US though.

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

The Handmaiden was SO beautiful. I loved all the outdoor scenes - seeing mainly movies set in cities, I never realized how lush South Korea can be. Makes me want to find a good nature doc about the country.

Atlas Hugged posted:

My only complaint is with the presentation of the twist. The film is almost entirely "unreliable perspective" except for the line where Sook-hee says Hideko has accepted Fujiwara's proposal on the condition that Sook-hee accompanies her to Japan. This turns it into a "deceptive narrator" and that bothers me because rather than the film maker pulling a fast one, it's the characters themselves misleading you through the second chapter. It seems like this would be easy to fix with slightly different editing or an added scene of dialog that was shown first with an out of context line and then later with the whole exchange, but oh well. It certainly doesn't ruin the movie. It just stood out to me as the one bit of storytelling that seemed off especially since there are visual queues included in the first part that hint at the fact that you aren't getting the whole story, notably the rope hanging from the tree when Sook-hee and Hideko flee.

I agree with this. It was a small but annoying misstep. Relevant to this, the changes from the book were interesting - the first act and the first half of the second are pretty much identical, but it takes a big turn at the point you were talking about. Without getting into much detail, I thought the movie version was much simpler, and ultimately more empowering and cathartic. It was probably necessary due to time constraints anyway; it's already a long movie, and strictly following the book would have made it twice as long.

• Locked thread