Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, uhh, wow at The Handmaiden, it kept consistently taking my breath away, provoking me, disturbing me, and punching me in the gut. Also occasional dark chuckles and feelings of Haneke-like condemning of the audience as voyeur. Perception and framing and context and shifting changing interpretations of everything, sex itself changed, from disturbing, to perverse, to making you feel like one of the dirty old men, to beautiful and liberating, to fake and acted, and an actress playing an actress reciting a recital. I'm still kinda mindblown sorry.

Was the sudden cut from the twist back to the front of the madhouse meant to be a fake twist in a twist? I mean when I saw the film, them suddenly just cutting right to Hideko made me think that whole twist was actually just in her head. Like for a second, while she watched Sook-Hee be dragged away, she imagined what an almost more fairytale ending might have been like if Sook-Hee had managed to prove her love in the end...and the sudden feeling of complete loving deflating was just like WHOOOMP breath just sucked away, gently caress.
Obviously not long after I got that it was indeed just a continuation of what had been revealed, but with the way it cut it just made me feel like the director had me on a drat rollercoaster. From minute to minute I wasn't sure whether to condemn or embrace. At moments it was just suddenly a horror movie, some of those cuts to that old lady haha.

there were just many moments...he way he kept reframing old scenes, giving them new meaning, that final reveal of the wedding night and the way that scoundrel described it, those just deserts, the bells ringing over the ocean. nervous chuckles and awe from the audience. wow.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance was my second favorite film of his for a while, after Oldboy. That's definitely changed with The Handmaiden, though I really don't know where I'd rank it.
Still have a DVD copy of Thirst I never watched. Gotta get on that. I thought Stoker was fine-ish but whatever and I'm not really a fan of Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance all that much.

On the other hand I hated Kim Jee-woon's I Saw the Devil and thought it was mediocre as gently caress and a lot of people love that from what I can tell so my taste can be weird.

• Locked thread