Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMaskedChemist
Mar 30, 2010
I've recently started getting into Korean horror. I've been finding it very refreshing given the general stagnation of the American scene. So far I have seen:

White: The Melody of the Curse: This was the first movie I saw. I found it while searching through Hulu for horror movies, and was struck by the visuals in the preview images. It's the first time in a long, long time I've seen a horror movie that had a point to make that wasn't about the genre itself (it's also a deconstruction of the Korean Idol industry.) The cinematography was great, the titular song is catchy which is good as it is played constantly throughout the movie, and the movie does a great job of keeping an unsettling atmosphere even when it isn't gearing up for a scare. The plot's a little weak and is largely lifted strait from the Ring, but the dialog is good and the technicality of the movie make up for the formulaic script. It also has the honor of being the only horror moive in the fifteen or so years I've been into the genre that has given me nightmares.

Yoga: This one was weak. An anemic, predictable plot leads into a weak ending. It has several great creepy scenes, but they don't make up for the hour of boredom between them.

Cinderella: There are some really great visuals in this movie and when the movie is trying to build tension it does it well. There's not much else to it though. It wasn't a bad movie; it just didn't catch with me.

Face: This one blew me away, I would hesitate to call it horror, it's more of a crime drama with supernatural elements thrown in to enhance the tension. The protagonists are very likable, and they carry the movie well. The story is captivating and paces itself well , and the twist at the end completely caught me of guard. If it has a weakness it's that the supernatural element could have largely been lifted from the movie with out affecting it and for the most part they feel very superfluous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread