Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rufousnightjar
Oct 29, 2016

Akarshi posted:

Man, I was extremely impressed with this movie. I read Fingersmith in high school, and I never imagined that it would ever get a movie adaptation, much less from Park Chan-Wook! I was really looking forward to this the moment it was announced. While it's been a while since I last read the book, I do think that the final act of the movie was pretty different, but I think I prefer the movie version of it. I didn't expect the romance to as sweet as it was, and I think everyone involved pulled that off very well. It's a really visceral film too, I really liked the care taken in both the presentation and setting...made everything feel textured and lush. Hopefully a blu ray comes out soon with it because I'm snapping that up asap.

Once this was first announced I actually went and read Fingersmith for the first time. I'd read one of Sarah Waters other novels before, Affinity, but wasn't exactly floored by it. I enjoyed Fingersmith a lot more. I agree with you that I actually prefer the third act of the movie to the third act of Fingersmith? Once Maud is revealed to be Mrs. Sucksby's daughter, and Sue is actually Marianne's daughter it gets to be one twist too many.
And as much as I love Sally Hawkins as Sue, the 2005 TV adaptation of Fingersmith suffers from being too soapy and having a lower budget. So I prefer The Handmaiden as an adaptation, as I think it captures the spirit of the book a bit better.

Also you read Fingersmith in high school? drat. That book is much more sexually explicit than anything my high school would have allowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread