Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

RightClickSaveAs posted:

...a lot of critics (the ones I pay attention to anyway) seem to really love it, like Ebert.

I got to the facebook joke then scrolled up to see who the review was really written by. It's Roeper. Most of the reviews on Ebert's site are by guests right now, as he's currently dealing with surgery.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Mar 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

"Sumaria" (Samaritan Girl) is fantastic, but not a great introduction since it's one of his most difficult films; both in terms of being thematically complex and being rife with upsetting content.

On the other hand, "Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring" is probably his most accessible film, while "3-Iron" is (in my opinion) his best. So you can't really go wrong either of those. Both do require the audience to be attentive though.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Good lord Pieta is an emotional gut punch. I thought I was used to heavy themes in SK film by now but this one floored me. It also contains a couple of the most uncomfortable scenes I've watched in a long while. I highly recommend this if you don't mind feeling drained for a couple hours.

This could be said for every one of Kim Ki-Duk's films. All great. All downers.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

monster on a stick posted:

Not a review, but looking for recommendations.

I'm a huge fan of excellent cinematography. I love Wong Kar-wai films because of Christopher Doyle. I see films that Roger Deakins worked on because of him. Conrad Hall did some amazing stuff (like Road to Perdition.) All different but they regularly go above and beyond what others do.

Memories of Murder and A Tale of Two Sisters are the two best photographed Korean films. Both are stunning, and Memories of Murder has some of my favorite compositions in cinema.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

3-Iron is by far his best. One of my favorite movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Haha, 새드 무비 should be the title of every Korean film.

• Locked thread