Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
I saw it last night at the Museum of the Moving Image and quite liked it, even more than some of his other films, but then I'm also of the opinion that the gore in his movies is a bit TOO gratuitous at times (the tongue-cutting scene in Oldboy, for example). I really want to see it again, actually. Probably my favorite movie of his so far. But I can see why some wouldn't like it, particularly if they're expecting something in particular from his other movies and aren't getting it. I wasn't going in with any expectations in particular and ended up quite happy with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
So apparently there are free Korean film screenings every other Tuesday night at Tribeca Cinemas in NYC? Tonight at 7PM is "Sunny", a comedy I know little about aside from that it's from the same director/screenwriter as Speedy Scandal, which is one of my favorite Korean movies. I'll be there--anyone else going? Feel free to PM me if you wanna meet up.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

Some Guy TT posted:

So, I'd like to take a minute to discuss the Korean Film Archive. It's a complex in the Mapo district of Seoul that stores film.

Uggh I lived in Mapo-gu for a year and a half and had no idea this existed. If you're reading this thread and currently live in Korea, take advantage of this because it sounds awesome!

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

Some Guy TT posted:

Secretly and Greatly

It's weird, none of the other critics like this one except me. Probably because the main character is played by an idol...anyway, he's an elite North Korean spy who goes into South Korea disguised as a retard. Action comedy thriller, with the central emotional question being is it better to be a super-cool action warlord in the kingdom of hell, or a retard in the kingdom of heaven? Also has the same director that did Bedevilled, if that's important to you.

I'm with you! I loved 은미하게 위대하게/Secretly Greatly, and I don't particularly love idols or action movies.

• Locked thread