Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I just watched Mother last night, and I'm going to watch The Host later tonight.

This is what I posted about Mother in another thread. Don't hover of the spoilers if you have not seen it.

escape artist posted:

I just finished Madeo by Bong Joon-ho and wow. It started off a little slow, but once it picked up, I was hooked. It was beautifully shot, well-acted (Kim Hye-ja was spectacular) and the story was riveting. A Korean neo-noir. You fully expect the mother to exonerate him of his crime, and then ultimately find out he did do the crime in the first place. And she ends up killing a witness to cover it up. Then he's exonerated and the wrong man goes to jail. And at dinner he basically admits to his mother why he placed the body in the position he did. These developments blind-sided me.

This one gets an A from me, unquestionably. Bong Joon-ho never disappoints, but I think this might be his best movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

qbert posted:

Have you seen Memories of Murder? I still consider that his best film. I feel like Fincher's Zodiac was heavily influenced by it. There's also a lot of political and cultural subtext going on that you'd probably have to read up on after seeing the film, but once I did gave me an even deeper appreciation of what he achieved.

Yeah, that was the first movie of his I saw. It's great (and I know all about the true story behind it), but I thought Mother was even better.

I first saw it when I was asking for "good serial killer movies" and someone said I should watch Zodiac and Memories of Murder as companion pieces.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
The Host was so much fun. Funny, thrilling, heart-wrenching. I don't know how I feel about the fact that there's going to be a sequel, though.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I feel like you should make another thread for films from China and Hong Kong, and another thread for films from Japan. Just my opinion. I feel like SK films are distinct from other Asian films, and there are plenty of them for us to discuss for a long, long time.

• Locked thread