Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoopy
Aug 31, 2002

"HAT."
I just started this for shits n giggles and I am so bad, oh my god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

glug posted:

Where are you people :( Still using channel 8 everywhere?

I've been hanging out in channel 1 when no one else is on. They have more player run shops there.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Gegil posted:

I've been hanging out in channel 1 when no one else is on. They have more player run shops there.

Ah cool, player run shops. Is it a functional thing or a spam thing? I just figured people used the trading post.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em
very functional. you can find lots of high end items and crafting mats there.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The auction house is kind of poo poo anyway. It only shows you the number of bids, minimum bid(set by the seller not updated by current top bids), and the buy it now which is usually ridiculous.

No real way to tell how much you need to bid to stay on top but that does lead to some steals if you are the only bidder.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Why is this guild tiny and where is everyone :(

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

glug posted:

I know. I want to poo poo on people and camp the frog and spider spawns in Aria and steal their quest items. Becoming ahuman roadblock to them moving past that dungeon.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I really admire a lot of things about this game, but lag and rubber-banding are just too frustrating. As I progress I'm hoping the need for grouping justifies the game's multiplayer aspect, but so far the game being an MMO vs. Dark Souls style single-player with MP elements has mostly been a downside for me.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

glug posted:

I think it is because the game is bad. Ill tough it out for a bit but so far it is mostly bad bad.

Mbwuto
Dec 1, 2006
I'm in the game as Herself Theelf, level 7 or 8. How do I get in the Union?

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em
You will have to find one of the rare Goons still playing that is online. meet with them in game and then they can give you a union invite.
Typically the easiest way to find one is to join mumble and look for someone in the wizardry channel or post here and schedule something

In other news. I donated 3k soul material and the union now has 2xp. Only 98 more to go for a level 2 union...

JohnnyBigPotatoes
Jun 8, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPENDING $732.49 ON DIABLO 3 GOLD AND THEN SELLING ALL THE ITEMS AND GOLD FOR $38.27 BECAUSE I WAS AFRAID OF THE TAXES AND IRS

Mitt Romney 2012
click here to find out more
Dumbest question of the thread: where do you buy healing potions?

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

JohnnyBigPotatoes posted:

Dumbest question of the thread: where do you buy healing potions?

They sell them in the royal shop for 15 cents. Otherwise go to deltis keep and farm a ton of them off the humanoids in there.

Possibly a dumber question, what are you wanting healing potions for?

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Bashez posted:

They sell them in the royal shop for 15 cents. Otherwise go to deltis keep and farm a ton of them off the humanoids in there.

Possibly a dumber question, what are you wanting healing potions for?

My Warrior gets most of his healing from the Self Heal skill. I can't ever imagine not passing that down to future classes.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Self Heal is THE skill you must have if you play a fighter. Going without it is practically suicide in later areas.

Like the Temple of Oblivion :supaburn:

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Are you people that speak of this game even in that oddly named union we have, because the only status updates in there for like 6 days are 'Glug died.'

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
I've been holding off for a handful of reasons. Waiting for the next big patch in the hopes we'll get a fix to the server issues that are making the game really frustrating at times.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I've been playing dungeons and dragons online because it's the game (sans PKing) that I want Wizardry to be. Except it's had seven years to establish itself and fix all the awful poo poo that made everyone quit five years ago.

RIP, Wizardry online. I'll log in at some point to donate soul material.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Richard M Nixon posted:

RIP, Wizardry online. I'll log in at some point to donate soul material.

Ditto. Come play DDO with us!

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
Verdict: is this worth playing or no?

I don't have a lot of time nor inclination to dig through arcane wikis. But, I enjoyed Wizardry the single-player games, and permadeath intrigues me.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Thursday Next posted:

Verdict: is this worth playing or no?

I don't have a lot of time nor inclination to dig through arcane wikis. But, I enjoyed Wizardry the single-player games, and permadeath intrigues me.

There is no perma death. Everyone starts off at a 95% chance to rez. Then you can put a health potion or other item on the scale and get it to 100%. Literally the only way to permadie is to be lazy.

E: not really worth it.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I was so disappointed. I wanted a hardcore experience where I really felt like players could do as they wished and there were large risks involved. Instead...well, I'll spare you, but we did not come close at all.

sonofsunaj
Mar 16, 2009

Richard M Nixon posted:

I was so disappointed. I wanted a hardcore experience where I really felt like players could do as they wished and there were large risks involved. Instead...well, I'll spare you, but we did not come close at all.

I have to agree. I was looking for a game to keep me from going back to EVE. I wanted risk and the ability to lose something worth while if I wasn't careful. Maybe if they made it so every time you died the cost of resurecting became greater.

But, even worse is that that there are very few people playing. I never logged in when there were other goons on, and the pubbies were boring.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

sonofsunaj posted:

I have to agree. I was looking for a game to keep me from going back to EVE. I wanted risk and the ability to lose something worth while if I wasn't careful. Maybe if they made it so every time you died the cost of resurecting became greater.

But, even worse is that that there are very few people playing. I never logged in when there were other goons on, and the pubbies were boring.

I'm just wondering how much gear you've gotten +7? You're looking for a risk and that's currently the biggest risk in the game(forging in general).

Personally I think loot times on corpses are probably too long. It's really hard to grab something off someone if they can always get to a statue in time. Rez rates are way too high as well, I guess they're expected more people to get hit by walkers but so far I don't actually drop below 100% rez rate, though I've been ashed by traps a few times.

Bashez fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 22, 2013

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

I doubt many more are still playing bt I decided to give an update on where I am in the game.

I got to finish Carley and the dragoon ruins and head into descension. If I were to rate the dungeons so far in the game in terms of difficulty I'd say everything pre Aria is a 1, aria 2, Temple 3, Old Sewers 3, Dragoon 5, and this new piece of poo poo a 10.

I play a trap thief with priest heals and frequently duo with either a desperado/grandfathered trap thief character or a grandfathered warrior. The first floor in the dungeon is the usual stuff and then the second floor introduces a new mob type. These new mobs see through stealth and have an insane amount of HP. They also are casters so they don't like to actually run over traps. The spells they cast are a super fast ice shard that hits for ~150 or so and then a fireball that hits for ~500 and an AE root that hits for ~500. So I get one shot most the time. The warrior also can, because of his low magic defense.

In order to advance past the next boss statue you need to solve a puzzle turning in quest items off the mobs. Those assholes described above can drop the quest pieces but aren't necessary. They share a spawn with the monks that do however. I think everyone must channel hop looking for the monks because walking into the dungeon you won't actually see any monks spawned.

This game is a giant troll and yet I finished that quest anyway.

Also the guys that play 24/7 have their mages decked out and now can take out other players 15 v 1 pretty trivially.

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61
Whats up with the state of the game? Kind of reminds me of FFXI with the art style of the game. I only have a lvl 5 fighter and luckily there's not a lot of pvp in the sewers but the next area had a ton of pvp I'm staying the sewers for a little longer.

gdsfjkl
Feb 28, 2011
Staying in the sewers really, really isn't worth it. Try playing on empty channels if you aren't already, and form parties in town instead of looking for one in the dungeon.

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61
I'm lvl 7 with SR2 but I keep getting constantly pked. My group of 4 was getting one shotted from some decked out mage. Im hitting the next area now. The game's alright but it definitely took a turn downhill when I was getting pvped in town. I don't see a lot of people to group up with in town, I have to find people in the area. I'm still pretty new.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

After a hard day of stabbing zombies and beetles it was time to unwind with a little planking.

Also the pubbies in this game. :stare: I spent an hour running around watching a slap-fight in chat between some dude that got pk'd and the guild that killed him.

MintDinosaur
Mar 31, 2008

I just downloaded the game for shits and giggles and have been messing around with it for a few hours this evening. The game does have flaws, but overall I really enjoyed myself.

I started as a Mage, which was a pain until I found a competent partner (thief, if anyone's curious) to duo with. He was able to hold their attention and I burned them down. Camping took care of my MP needs entirely as we farmed the first dungeon's kobolds for a while.

It doesn't sound like there's much of a goon presence... and I can see why, potentially...

But if anyone's still playing, drop me a line. Soul name 'Cales'.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
The problem with the game is Aria Reservoir and everything that comes with it, honestly. At that point the amount of EXP and soul points you need to level increases exponentially and there's only one way to get them: grinding Millionaire. Hundreds of times.

This is made worse by the fact that following the first dungeon, enemies start becoming stronger faster than the player does, so by Aria Resivoir, you will be one-shot by almost every enemy if you are not a Fighter or Priest. In the end, it just felt like you were getting nowhere instead of being a thrilling challenge.

gdsfjkl
Feb 28, 2011

Miijhal posted:

The problem with the game is Aria Reservoir and everything that comes with it, honestly. At that point the amount of EXP and soul points you need to level increases exponentially and there's only one way to get them: grinding Millionaire. Hundreds of times.

This is made worse by the fact that following the first dungeon, enemies start becoming stronger faster than the player does, so by Aria Resivoir, you will be one-shot by almost every enemy if you are not a Fighter or Priest. In the end, it just felt like you were getting nowhere instead of being a thrilling challenge.
For what it's worth I reached level 16 or so on EU before quitting and I never grinded Millionaire v:shobon:v the experience values for monsters killed also go up pretty quickly as you go to higher level dungeons.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

Miijhal posted:

This is so completely wrong.

I've never grinded millionaire, I've never seen the point. The spearmen are 1100 exp or so a kill base and go down super easy so they are a better grind spot. Then obviously people grind bulls for forever for ~600-800k exp an hour depending on group and bonus exp. From there you can go to about a million exp an hour grinding plants in UDR (there are tricky but also good exp spots before this) and closer to 2 mil/hour in descension and it gets even better in the new dungeon.

Your gear is lacking in a big way if you're getting one shot. Unless you're a mage in which case roll a fighter for defensive stance and then get a good cloak and you'll tank better than every class not a warrior!

Getting to 20 is a full evening of playing now. If you have friends, of course.

Edit: Jesus don't know why I said 22.

Bashez fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 30, 2013

Silentsigil
Oct 16, 2012
Alright, cool. Rules just say don't be a retard.

First time posting on here. I'm wondering if any goons still play. I'm getting out of the podunk shithole I'm in atm and I'll be back online in a few weeks.

I've got a completely dead level 2 union with admin powers and a bucketload of spare time until I actually have to give a poo poo in classes.

Soul name Sigil.

If anyone is thinking of giving this a second chance, the rampant gan kery has pretty much stopped and a few of the balance issues have been fixed (better weapons/armor for sale in town etc.)

The localization is still a complete clusterfuck... but that doesn't get in the way of stabbin'

Zierk
Jan 10, 2012

Richard M Nixon posted:

That is what ultimately lead me away from this game. When I first read about WO the first thought that poped into my head was the lawless world of .hack//SIGN and that I could be a PKer anywhere I wanted. Turned out it was not so "hardcore" as the game hyped itself up to be.

On top of that the login freeze issue and the rubber-banding kept me away. I think they fixed the login errors but I read the lag is pretty teribad sometimes.

Jerry Garcia's Ghost
Jul 26, 2001
Anyone still playing this game? Am I crazy to consider it? I don't care about graphics if the dungeon crawling is actually fun...

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jerry Garcia's Ghost posted:

Anyone still playing this game? Am I crazy to consider it? I don't care about graphics if the dungeon crawling is actually fun...

This is a terrible game and you should abandon all hope of playing :)

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Pity bump, since it's being shut down. This was actually THE oldest thread in the forum.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

xZAOx posted:

Pity bump, since it's being shut down. This was actually THE oldest thread in the forum.

And not a single tear was shed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pugzilla
Feb 25, 2011
If this is still around I'll give it a shot. Anyone still playing this? The crafting features seem interesting.

• Locked thread