Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
movax
Aug 30, 2008

posting to reiterate my hatred for 120hz/motion interpolation and my sperglike tendency to immediately cringe and turn off 120hz on any tv when possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sdnype

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
pagancow my dell lcd has its default color settings. just fyi

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Shaggar posted:

pagancow my dell lcd has its default color settings. just fyi

just turn down the brightness, you'll be fine

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

movax posted:

posting to reiterate my hatred for 120hz/motion interpolation and my sperglike tendency to immediately cringe and turn off 120hz on any tv when possible

one does not turn off 120 updates per second on those TVs, you just turn off motion interpolation

which is totally fine

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

pagancow posted:

actually no throw that thing in the trash and buy that NEC up there i showed off, becuase most of our 4 and 5 year old dell ultrasharps have terrible green and magenta overcasts that are uncorrectable with software LUTs

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
mine has what I guess is magenta hazeyness at the edges if I move my head around

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yo that nec is 1080p 23" garbage

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

okay get the chinese 4K display that only does 30hz for 1,000

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

actually no don't i don't even want to know what they think a proper sRGB curve looks like

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Shaggar posted:

yo that nec is 1080p 23" garbage

i would wager that color accuracy bests a 120px height advantage in color correction

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
whats the best 24+" 16:10 monitor for my games and watching videos?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Shaggar posted:

whats the best 24+" 16:10 monitor for my games and watching videos?

whats the one best tool i can buy that can build a house?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

please dont tell me about anything else I just want one tool

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

i'm really good at building a house with just this hammer here but I want to get the BEST hammer

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
well their video games. so they can use the same colors as just plain video

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

no

i can't do this to shaggar...you're like my loving idol

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

how much money you got?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

please dont tell me about anything else I just want one tool

well shaggar's already posting here

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pagancow posted:

how much money you got?

give me options at $600, $900, $1200, and then the best for any moneys

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Does it have to be 24"? You can get a 30 or 27 at the higher end prices

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
24+ inches. it could be more than 24. it has to be 16:10.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

http://www.amazon.com/HP-ZR2440w-24-inch-Backlit-Monitor/dp/B005O9RPQE

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176177 (be careful this is wide gamut and you will need to buy a colorimeter to build a profile so that your color managed applications look right. pros only)

16:10 really puts you into not a lot of choices

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

also dont forget to add this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/798930-REG/X_Rite_EODIS3_i1Display_Pro.html

Every monitor you put this on and run the calibration poo poo will look right, a good profile will be built, and any color managed application will be 100% correct.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
drat that 24" hp looks pro as gently caress for cheap

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pagancow posted:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-ZR2440w-24-inch-Backlit-Monitor/dp/B005O9RPQE

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176177 (be careful this is wide gamut and you will need to buy a colorimeter to build a profile so that your color managed applications look right. pros only)

16:10 really puts you into not a lot of choices

yeah so many scrub manufacturers have switched to 16:scrub but I refuse to use a tv rez for a computer.

lol I was kind of half kidding but that hp does look pretty good. I probably would not get a colorimeter and the gamuts on the second one would just run wild.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

nice coma

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

qfb

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

i could see some use for this even outside tt

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pagancow posted:

but why do i want to look a t a dim screen

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

you've been looking at a screen that is too bright unless there is direct sunlight in the room you are in.

Mac laptop is smart enough if your brightness is around 30% and auto turned on.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Dr. Honked posted:

good poo poo op

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

pagancow posted:

you've been looking at a screen that is too bright unless there is direct sunlight in the room you are in.

Mac laptop is smart enough if your brightness is around 30% and auto turned on.

why dont ipads do this correctly i constantly have to use the little brightness slider and when you pull it up on the little bottom drawer thing it dims the screen so whatever you choose is actually brighter than you think its gonna be why jony

why

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

pagancow posted:

also dont forget to add this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/798930-REG/X_Rite_EODIS3_i1Display_Pro.html

Every monitor you put this on and run the calibration poo poo will look right, a good profile will be built, and any color managed application will be 100% correct.

I bought one on amazon, used it for about 30 minutes to profile my $400 corean 27" LCD and my MBP, immediately returned it once I had a profile.

am I a bad person?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

yes but for other reasons

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

drat that 24" hp looks pro as gently caress for cheap

I have two at work and they're pretty good, one was slightly greener than the other so I had to tweak the settings

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Quine Connoisseur posted:

why dont ipads do this correctly i constantly have to use the little brightness slider and when you pull it up on the little bottom drawer thing it dims the screen so whatever you choose is actually brighter than you think its gonna be why jony

why

iOS auto brightness will only get brighter, not darker. Just hit lock switch twice and brightness will be normal

it sounds lovely, but what is more lovely is when auto brightness goes down. see anroid (lol!!!) devices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Jimmy Carter posted:

I bought one on amazon, used it for about 30 minutes to profile my $400 corean 27" LCD and my MBP, immediately returned it once I had a profile.

am I a bad person?

Yes, because you need to build a profile about every month for the monitors first 6 months lifespan as the backlight will decay really quickly, then after that every 600-800 hours on time.

• Locked thread