Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Pardot posted:

whats the difference between mkv and m4v and why do i sometimes have to convert from the first to the second?

m4v is an apple format i think (MPEG-4 video)
mkv is a general purpose open source format (matroska)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pardot posted:

whats the difference between mkv and m4v and why do i sometimes have to convert from the first to the second?

mkv is a slut that'll put any old thing inside itself so people who make devices that are supposed to play video files tend not to support it
you can encode video with something like dirac and mkv will happily contain it but devices will go "i can't deal with this who the gently caress uses dirac"

mp4 otoh is v faithful and will only accept a h.264 and stuff

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

AtomD posted:

mkv is a slut that'll put any old thing inside itself so people who make devices that are supposed to play video files tend not to support it
you can encode video with something like dirac and mkv will happily contain it but devices will go "i can't deal with this who the gently caress uses dirac"

whats the difference between a container and a codec? i thought i just had video files? :confused:

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Its all loving annoying and the end result is use pro as gently caress ps3 media server to transcode computerside and stream it to your tv device (it works with more than just ps3)

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Emacs Headroom posted:

whats the difference between a container and a codec? i thought i just had video files? :confused:

a codec is like, mpegs and poo poo, and a container is a dvd or a hard drive or whatever your movies are on

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009

Wilhelm_Scream.wav posted:

Its all loving annoying and the end result is use pro as gently caress ps3 media server to transcode computerside and stream it to your tv device (it works with more than just ps3)

This is only a good solution if you have a computer on all the time

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

DNova posted:

a codec is like, mpegs and poo poo, and a container is a dvd or a hard drive or whatever your movies are on

my movies are on windows media player

hey can you guys help me put a movie into a powerpoint? its on my boss's phone (it's from the christmas party). i think he has a samsung droid. tia

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
i guess the powerpoint is the codec, and the phone is the container?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

AtomD posted:

unless your apple then you do dumb poo poo like shove in a .ac3 and watch other players flip out

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Shaggar posted:

looks like vc-1 wmv wins again

wins for worst image quality in a 2 man race basically

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Trainbearer posted:

As I've been probated for posting that in the past, I would advise you not to post that even if you modified a quote to make it seem like I said it. Happy holidays.
/

yes, you were probated just for that.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
i tried to put together a 5184x3456 video file out of jpeg frames for a time lapse and nothing would build to that size because apparently its larger than the spec for loving mp4 or something and ugh christ i hate video

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

ahmeni posted:

i tried to put together a 5184x3456 video file out of jpeg frames for a time lapse and nothing would build to that size because apparently its larger than the spec for loving mp4 or something and ugh christ i hate video

did you try mencoder? i think it'll just lossy compress to the bitrate you set, and you can set it super high maybe?

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

the best as in most backwards-compatible choice is PNG

1) grab a frame to use as a preview, save as PNG
2) add all I-frames and save as an APNG, rename to PNG
3) add P-frames, B-frames and uncompressed WAV-pieces between chunks containing the I-frames

and there you have it, a file that's an animated PNG in firefox, a normal PNG in other browsers and a video

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Emacs Headroom posted:

did you try mencoder? i think it'll just lossy compress to the bitrate you set, and you can set it super high maybe?

yeah i tried ffmpeg and mencoder and the bitrate was just too high on them i guess? i basically wanted to build it full size so i could fake left/right panning on a 1920x1080 size output but i couldnt get it to work

i might just end up doing all the slicing with a python script and just generate the video from that but figuring out all the cropping to 16:9 ratio by hand and ughhh :effort:

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

ahmeni posted:

yeah i tried ffmpeg and mencoder and the bitrate was just too high on them i guess? i basically wanted to build it full size so i could fake left/right panning on a 1920x1080 size output but i couldnt get it to work

i might just end up doing all the slicing with a python script and just generate the video from that but figuring out all the cropping to 16:9 ratio by hand and ughhh :effort:

just use mjpeg in a valid container gd.

i've been over this with you before h.264 has a max frame size of 4096

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

are there any video websites besides youtube that use webm? google has managed to re-enconde pretty much everything on youtube as webm but I don't think it's exactly taking over the world like they said it would

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pagancow posted:

wins for worst image quality in a 2 man race basically

nah vc1 owns

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Shaggar posted:

nah vc1 owns

vc3 owns

vc1....not so much

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

pagancow posted:

just use mjpeg in a valid container gd.

i've been over this with you before h.264 has a max frame size of 4096

there ended up being some issue with mjpeg as well, but i can't remember what it was but at some point i was installing visual studio so i could recompile my copy of ffmpeg and at that point i realized gently caress this and gently caress everything

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

RZApublican posted:

are there any video websites besides youtube that use webm? google has managed to re-enconde pretty much everything on youtube as webm but I don't think it's exactly taking over the world like they said it would

everybody is waiting for google to get sued over it before its safe/hosed forever

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

ahmeni posted:

there ended up being some issue with mjpeg as well, but i can't remember what it was but at some point i was installing visual studio so i could recompile my copy of ffmpeg and at that point i realized gently caress this and gently caress everything

when you have reached the point of recompiling ffmpeg, it is always time to turn around

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yuck h264 is good but the way it can artifact can be really distracting, like when a face is taking up lots of screen space, and it moves, and the eyes and mouth move etc but the skin texture, freckles and whatnot, obviously don't register as a big enough change so they don't move, or at least lag behind or something.... It looks weird and creepy,

Weegehhegegegegehe

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
use a higher bitrate, porblem solved

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

got dat wmd posted:

woah is it a passthrough or something bc everything i've seen has been gay 'reencode the poo poo out of everything or at the very least just the audio for no reason'

you can use subler for this but if the audio isnt aac it'll reencode it because ios doesnt support anything other than aac in mp4

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Block posted:

use a higher bitrate, porblem solved

well yeah of course

the problem is i see this when i watch a tv broadcast or something else
what am i gonna do, call up the tv guys and lecture them on the finer points of mpeg4 encoding

next question: when is mpeg5 coming out and will it encode in 3 dimensions? (not just 2 x 2d like new 3d is)

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Quine Connoisseur posted:

you can use subler for this but if the audio isnt aac it'll reencode it because ios doesnt support anything other than aac in mp4

yeah and so does everybody else because its the spec.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

echinopsis posted:

call up the tv guys and lecture them on the finer points of mpeg4 encoding

this would be p funny.

echinopsis posted:

next question: when is mpeg5 coming out and will it encode in 3 dimensions? (not just 2 x 2d like new 3d is)

slow down hoss, cable cos are just upgrading to h.264 hardware, they need to run it into the ground for the next 10 years.

its h.265 (aka ISO/IEC 23008-2 MPEG-H Part 2) not mpeg-5

microsoft should hire mpeg-la guys to make up product names, it would be so much better

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
hey guys, remember divx?

no, neither do I

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Migishu posted:

hey guys, remember divx?

no, neither do I

the dvd rental service where after opening the package they began to degrade so after a while they wouldnt play

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

REAL MEDIA

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
this post: buffering

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Migishu posted:

hey guys, remember divx?

no, neither do I

Starcraft 2 uses Divx (mpeg-4 license) to encode their videos because they aren't afraid to use some rams.

quality is still bad because lol divx

~my macroblocks~

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Sniep posted:

the dvd rental service where after opening the package they began to degrade so after a while they wouldnt play

They weren't DVDs (though somebody did make DVDs that would start to degrade after being exposed to open air). They were discs encoded with the DivX codec instead of MPEG-2, and used a different copy protection system IIRC.

You had to have a DivX player, and they had built-in modems and had to be connected to a phone line to work.

The reason for the modem was that the player would phone home every time you watched a movie. You'd buy DivX discs for only $5 or $10 or something like that, but the player would only let you watch them for 48 hours after the initial viewing. If you wanted to watch them again after that you had to put in your credit card info and pay more money.

The whole scheme was invented by Circuit City, so the discs and players were only sold there. I think once they realized that being Circuit City exclusive was hurting DivX they started selling the players and discs in other stores, but I might be remembering wrong.

IIRC Disney was one of the only major studios to sign on. For a good while their movies weren't available on DVD, because of the money they stood to make had DivX won; every time somebody's kids wanted to watch Beauty and the Beast again their parents would have to pay more money.

Doc Block fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Dec 31, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

cineform or prores so that premiere or fcp or whatever wont gag on the previews and timeline while you're scrubbing through them. anything else is for scrubs. be prepared for the prores transcoded files to take about 10x the space of the original files out of the camera, so your 5 gig project can quickly turn into a 50gig project. transcode with something that can take advantage of CUDA because gently caress waiting for even an i7 to do that poo poo by hand.

oh, your talking anime codecs? who cares, whatever vlc will play is fine.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
ok.. what were those discs that started to go bad once you opened them to act as a "rental" ?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
Just regular DVDs, but intentionally made so that they would start to degrade after being exposed to the air, giving you about 48 hours to watch them.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
i mean what was that service called

e: Ahh, Flexplay

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Sniep posted:

ok.. what were those discs that started to go bad once you opened them to act as a "rental" ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIVX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

echinopsis posted:

Yuck h264 is good but the way it can artifact can be really distracting, like when a face is taking up lots of screen space, and it moves, and the eyes and mouth move etc but the skin texture, freckles and whatnot, obviously don't register as a big enough change so they don't move, or at least lag behind or something.... It looks weird and creepy,

Weegehhegegegegehe

MY DSLR does this really bad when shooting video and it drives me crazy.

• Locked thread