Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
My favourite is when the motion sickness enhancer is turned up to max and the entire backlight is dimming up and down because of dynamic contrast poo poo so they can put a bigger number on the box.

Last time I went to a movie before they switched to digital they played the movie at like 48 Hz instead of 72 so it was dim as gently caress and flickering all over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

pagancow posted:

if you give anybody interlaced video to put on the web buy a camera that can shoot progressive jees.

I used to have media people give me 1 GB .mov files with 50i DV-codec and some kind of PCM soundtrack for a 5 minute video, it was literally impossible to play back in anything but the mac version of quicktime, we had to use VLC for the projection system we had

also it still looked like poo poo despite being nearly uncompressed

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Most TVs scale up and crop the picture 5-10% because TV standards are dumb as gently caress and flat screens had to emulate overscanning like CRTs did naturally since they had lovely HT regulation and it kept the picture from visibly moving around.

For some horrible reason they always enable this on digital inputs too, so to compensate PCs letterbox your precious pixels so the TV can blow them up again because it hates you. It was a bad idea in the first place (let's just throw out 10% of our already terrible resolution picture and stretch it all over the place) and there is literally no reason to do it now except dumb people thinking it looks different.

These are the same people who want to stretch 4:3 to 16:9 so they can get their money's worth.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
yeah you know how a CRT monitor might make the picture a little larger when you go from all dark to all bright picture? TVs are like that but a million times worse, so instead of regulating the high tension supply they just adjusted them to make the picture bigger than the screen.

if you adjust a normal TV to not overscan then it looks like poo poo since the width of the picture will be uneven as the brightness of each line changes, unless you are a huge geometry sperg like me and manually tune the HT regulation adjust

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
the best thing about computer video is that unless you're a huge sperg all your video will be displayed at 60 Hz so even when you've hand tweaked the decoder chain to handle the million different formats it'll still be jerky poo poo playing 24/25 fps content

most computer grade LCDs only work at 60, 59 and maybe 50 Hz

basically get a DLP projector, runs at anything from 50 to 80 Hz

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
MPC-HC supports resolution switching, and you can install Reclock if you like audio track switching not working. it speeds up or down playback to match the monitor as best as it can, and then does something to correct the pitch.

still better than NTSC judder but not as great as actually having the right refresh rate

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

THC posted:

my display supports 24hz but my movies looked jerky as gently caress when I tried them in that mode. what gives

probably inverse telecine not being applied if it was a DVD

with my lovely intel graphics laptop htpc moving from internal monitor to external HDMI makes it play video all jerky until I reboot with it already connected

also I literally had to make a custom inf to make custom resolutions over HDMI with Intel's lovely drivers, custom resolutions only work over VGA wtf intel

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQokTc8D0P8

Watch the wheels and the sand when it goes to slowmo. Thats a really bad example, but even in really good examples, Twixtor generally gives itself away. ive seen it in production television even.

the youtube antishake thing is a visual representation of dubstep

:stare:

who would look at that and say "yup looks good"

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Our OTA is DVB-T, the raw bit rate is like 6-8 Mbps 720p H.264 with AAC audio at 50p.
Turns out it looks pretty good when it's not displayed on a POS TV with ~*post processing*~ that seems to consist of saturation to 150%, lovely noise reduction filter that blurs everything to poo poo followed by a sharpening filter to make up for the lovely noise reduction.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
IIRC they said they do internal processing at 720i50 and then deinterlace for output, it looks really good though, literally never seen a macroblock on digital TV.

Also works well for recording and watching on a PC with a USB dongle.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Install Gentoo posted:

everything should be at least 60 imo

I seriously doubt a normal person can tell the difference between a 50 Hz and a 60 Hz signal on an LCD.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
like I know 50 Hz CRTs are loving poo poo but I have never heard anyone say 50p is not enough for silky smooth video

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
30 / 29.97 is a pretty scrubby problem to have in the first place

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
like almost every single thing about video and TV is a lovely backwards compatibility hack I'm astounded we even broke compatibility with nipkow discs

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
lol @ non-square pixels

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

ahmeni posted:

film grain owns

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
BSGs film grain and style in the first season (super high contrast grainy) used to annoy me enough that I didn't watch the show before I could watch it on Blu-Ray and see something that wasn't just macroblocks where the grain should have been.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

echinopsis posted:

yeah that thing at the end was a joke but who knows how amazing poo poo will be in the future? perhaps there will be an algorithm that denoises before compression to achieve mean as gently caress compression but uses a totally differenet way to actually store the noise itself and adds it back at the other end?
pretty sure this is already in the blu-ray or VC-1 spec but nobody implements it

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
I actually quite liked Pro Logic surround, it's a pretty good way to downmix surround to stereo too.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

flyboi posted:

Overlay is such a cool/weird thing. When I was a kid I was always so confused when my screenshots ended up neon green blank screens

i liked it when i had video behind the browser and random bits of video would show up in photos where the colour matched

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
isn't Dolby Digital/DTS like actually a compressed format put into a PCM container so lovely players can just output it unaltered over S/PDIF?

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
problem is low loss low capacitance teflon dielectric double silver shielded multi-strand core RG-214 video cables actually makes sense for SDI since it's basically a RF signal

it probably doesn't make a lot of sense but it would improve signal transfer for long runs

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Yeah, RG-214 is enough except it's not teflon dielectric (silver coated is true though) but RG-214 is mostly used for commercial VHF radio installations, to run uncompressed HD-SDI it would take a hell of a lot of bandwidth and it's a video standard so it's 75 ohms, looks like they use high quality RG6 cabling for that, and the associated properly impedance matched 75 ohm BNCs.
They're both heaps better than RG58/59 which is probably what would be installed for old SD video cabling.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

ok so mpeg2 is here to say until 2035 minimum

also i ran out of hdmi ports on my tv and switches the other day and remembered that cable only does 1080i anyway so i just hooked up the cable box with component cables. felt good

i know 1080p over component is possible but for some godforsaken reason almost no 1080p tvs accept 1080p over component :wtc:

the fuggen TV already is 1080p! how could it in any way cost anything to allow the TV to do 1080p over component too?

same for VGA on my tv. it's a 1080p tv, but will not do 1080p over VGA or component. there's gotta be some explanation here i;m missing

can't have those pirates ripping our blu-rays over component now can we?

plus you can put a slightly cheaper video ADC in there

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
I think they added 1080p component to the spec a few years ago but it's probably still considered optional. It's still a pretty good standard since it can do 1080i/p pretty far over normal Cat 5 with a balun that's much cheaper than a HDMI one.

They did that in school though and the picture is super soft, looks kind of nice actually.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
is it just me or did VC-1 have a pretty nice compression artifact structure compared to x264?

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

spankmeister posted:

RCA connectors are an abomination unto the lord and if you want the one true 75 ohm connector you use BNC

75 ohm BNCs are another abomination

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

pagancow posted:

I know its "lol bnc" but can you think of a better connector to do this with? It's already very small.

I'd say SMA has better performance at super high frequencies but lol @ using SMA for a production environment with that screw-type mount

N-connector is good but loving huge and also screw mount

BNC and bayonette mount connectors in general supremacy

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Nomnom Cookie posted:

its probably something really gay and terrible to be backwards compatible with graphics cards from 1991

i think it's like 1 pin for CGA, one for VGA or some arcane bullshit like that, but then they implemented EDID on top of that too

probably some serial protocol on one of the pins, I think one is just the detect-pin from the graphics card still though

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

spankmeister posted:

much like ur posting

the real abomination is the european standard TV connector

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_aerial_plug

every single TV in europe uses it, it is loving poo poo by any measure, even the pretty horrible UHF connector is better, it's used for 75 ohms but is literally a 50 ohm connector from the 1920s

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
even the F connector - which is pretty terrible in general - is better

for decades the standard for F connectors was to just strip some wire and shove it into the plug, then hope the cable doesn't just fall out

still better than that piece of poo poo

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

american tvs had some pretty shameful plugs

yes you literally had to screw the two forks to the back of your tv. you needed a screwdriver.

i mean we stopped using it by '85 but still

That's actually a decent way of connecting a dipole/folded dipole (i.e. a wire antenna) since I'm pretty sure that's a balanced input. Makes building antennas really easy, and those plugs are supposed to use that flat ladder line cable which is actually pretty low loss.

It's awful for connecting anything like cable tv etc though

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

It's barely even a connector, it's just a crude shell+thread loosely wrapped around a stripped bit of coax, any amount of force will pull it off unless you're a cable janitor with the compression fit versions

it's like someone with no RF design ability saw a SMA connector

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

about_face posted:

how should I mux two audio tracks together, one being a MP3 commentary the other being AC3 passthru? should i just transcode the ac3 to mp3 and then just merge the tracks in audacity or would it be better to leave it as AC3

you're hosed either way, I'd decode to wave, mix then encode to AAC

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
lol vorbis seriously? I guess if you're uploading it to wikipedia it's ok

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
it just works

(like poo poo)

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
I like how the eye is much more sensitive to horizontal resolution than vertical resolution. On time I tried watching a tube TV with my head to the side and I spent a few minutes wondering why it suddenly looked like this, then I remembered: oh, kell factor, nevermind.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
http://www.pembers.freeserve.co.uk/World-TV-Standards/Line-Standards.html

here's another site with lots of spergy details about old TV standards

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
you could do something silly like build a dedicated read-out for each pixel with a phototransistor and record it to tape (one tape track per pixel) and then like a custom LED panel to display it, it would have no frame-rate and you could sample each pixel at maybe a few kHz/16-bit and get perfect reproduction but it would be crazy complicated and there would be no way to display it properly on a computer or edit it with conventional software/hardware and the bandwidth to transfer it would be ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

records are bandlimited to ~17 khz as i understand it because any oscillaton higher than that will throw the stylus from the groove. also stereo records use mid-side coding so they lose a lot of spatial information. they're like analog mp3s!!

tell your vinyl humping friends that, im sure they'll love it

they used to make quadrophonic LPs that used funky "FM-PM-SSBFM (frequency modulation-phase modulation-single sideband frequency modulation)" encoding extending to 45 kHz analog bw, they used bigger tracks to do it but LP has no problem covering the full ultrasonic audio range. I think they used to wear out a lot quicker though.
there's a lower limit at 20 Hz and they use the RIAA equalizer to lower the bass levels before making the vinyl since otherwise the tracks would have to be physically wider

• Locked thread