Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
movax
Aug 30, 2008

op, mkv is the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

movax posted:

op, mkv is the best

or is there a new thing on the block, its been awhile since i was loving with this stuff / writing tools

movax
Aug 30, 2008

pagancow posted:

dont use mkv please.

sincerely,

a person who doesn't have a desktop os on their TV.

why hasnt someone thrown haali or someone a huge pile of money to license a mkv splitter? softsubs might be a different story (vsfilter :gonk:) but at the least you could still decode the es

e: transcoding for viewing is the irl devil

movax
Aug 30, 2008

pagancow posted:

The legal issue:
Licensing is a nightmare becuase MPEG-LA owns a lot of the patents in "video and audio stereams in a single file". Combined with all the other features of the container, who knows what other patents it potently violates in different countires? Do we have patent lawyers that are familiar with MKV's features? type halp than /quit

The Engineering Issue:
This format can support so many different codecs, streams, subtitle formats, multiples of all of these. How do we handle this in a way that doesn't piss off our customer when their TRANSFORMERS.8.REPACk.10BIT.H.265.mkv doesn't play back? What about future formats? What? Now we've got to pay for a DTS-HD license because its the original audio format? What if someone makes a .mkv file that contains so many streams that it crashes our TV and loads some arbritrary payload? What if I want to go home at 5:00PM today instead of implementing a container format used 95% of the time to pirate video files?

hmm

and i guess shipping busybox/similar + ffmpeg is out of the question too, foss :argh:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Progressive JPEG posted:

Its not hard, you just have to put a .zip of their sauce on your websight somewhere, including any modifications you'd made (if any). If you *do* make modifications, it's probably in your interest to get them into mainline so that you don't have to deal with the hassle of maintaining your own special snowflake patchset and build. If you *dont* have modifications, you can probably just have a link to the sauce youre using at whateverproject.net.

ffmpeg/libav are LGPL so you should only dynamically link against them (.so/.dll), but that's pretty much all you need to do.
Busybox is full GPL but you wouldn't be linking against it anyway.

well i was thinking the part they'd be the most ehhhh about gpl'ing would be any interface between ffmpeg and leveraging the asic/fpga inside the tv to perform the actual decode. could always do a binary blob driver i guess and open-source the interface to it that you strap onto ffmpeg

i guess rasp pi is the closest thing to a <10W almost-instant-on device that'll play almost everything on anything with a hdmi connection, though i still use a sigma-based nmt

movax
Aug 30, 2008

i mean seriously apple just make a tv that'll play everything, tia

movax
Aug 30, 2008

pagancow posted:

cool i want a second job at home too converting video files only i don't get paid.

are mp4 tools any good compared to mkvtoolnix?

Suspicious Dish posted:

movax id idn't know you were an anime

we all have dark dark pasts

movax
Aug 30, 2008

burn all video to the ground and start over

only half joking

movax
Aug 30, 2008

what aspect ratio will our ocular implants end up using

(its 4:3)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Silver Alicorn posted:

whoa sticky thread

I'd say we should sticky the NES thread too but it might be getting tapped out

yeah i sticked the nes thread already, i like ranting about video codecs and this is a good thread so it gets stickied now

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Qwertycoatl posted:

time for some sperging!

they started by copypasting h264 and then changed a bunch of things. instead of fixed-sized macroblocks like other codecs it has variable sized blocks from 64x64 down to 8x8, and transforms can be up to 32x32. so uniform regions can use big blocks instead of lots of little ones that waste bits saying "same again please". it's also offers more options for within-frame prediction, and better motion vector prediction. and a bunch of even spergier stuff so i'll stop there.

most importantly, they realised that interlacing is dumb and dropped support for it.

have you played with any of the hdl implementations of it? i've been toying with the idea of writing my own hevc decoder core because licensing is really expensive. the dudes at allegro actually replied to my emails though which was nice

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Quine Connoisseur posted:

if you write one you should contribute it to ffmpeg/libav

pagancow posted:

You can write one easily, just dont post the binary

source code is ~free speech~

no no, not some peasant software decoder i meant hdl as in vhdl/verilog to throw it on a fpga or something

build your own stb that you can upgrade the hardware decoding in at any point :getin:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

posting to reiterate my hatred for 120hz/motion interpolation and my sperglike tendency to immediately cringe and turn off 120hz on any tv when possible

movax
Aug 30, 2008

avisynth duh

BlankClip()

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

hey pagancow your home planet needs you

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3598514

• Locked thread