Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

in tyool 2013 there are only 2 video codecs you should be using:

• master aryan h.264 race

• vc-1 (lol shaggar)
everything else is poo poo

now video codecs don't sit alone, no siree, they have to be inside a container. If you have to ask :getout:

Here is my list of containers and analysis:
  • .asf - p good because it can only hold 2-3 video codecs and but it will be vc-1 unless its a one weird old experimental encode of the matrix cam rip. #2spooky

• .mp4 - p good because it can only hold 1 video codec, but apple does stupid poo poo like putting illegal streams like ac3 into it because lol standards. also stupid companies like happague like to make the framerates non interger like 4.33333333333333 so nothing really works right with those files.

• .avi - loooooooooooooooooooooooooool might as well be monkeys hitting skulls with bones

• .mov - its cool if you dont care what your video looks like or even plays back properly.

• .mkv - banned for animes

post the nerdiest codecs u got

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

sure i like it when the entire file is unreadable because the header got one byte flipped

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

peepsalot posted:

ogg theora

share the software

cool. might as well be watching a sorenson 3 encode of the phantom menace trailer in postage stamp sized 180x96

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

CamH posted:

give me an animated gif and a .wav sound track to go with it. suits my needs

someone owns a patent on the fact that audio and video are synched up with files in the US. so GO TO JAIL. DO NOT COLLECT FAT VC MONEY. PAY MPEG-LA TO GET OUT OF JAIL.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

OBAMA BIN LinkedIn posted:

don't download lovely files, problem solved

oh no i'm rendering my big file to avi because im a super sperg meister and need to use up my hard drive with the tee beees, oh no it crashed because its some vfw thing written for windows 3.1 and atrhalthogahlgalkjog

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

audio isn't a big deal because humans are really bad at hearing in comparison to what they see

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Hashtag Nascar posted:

this_thread.wmv

not a bad choice if it was to be embedded into this_thread.ppsx

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

people ask me "why cant i give out a quicktime file" and then i can use a bunch of words that explain why its a bad idea, and they go "yeah but its apple"

then i say "apple doesn't even deliver quicktime files anymore"

they stop using quicktime files after that.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

echinopsis posted:

is there some cool way to gently caress around with encoding artifacts

also mkv is ok mp4 is also ok

what i dont get is the scene rule to put subtitles ON as default... thats hosed up

dont get me started on I P and B frames

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

lol at the people non ironically defending .mkv on irc because its all over usenet.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

anybody else want to air out their bad ideas?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

DuckConference posted:

doesn't it support both MPEG4-ASP (which is xvid right?) and MPEG4-AVC?

i used to pay attention to this stuff but now I just mash buttons in handbrake until it works

they're both variants of mpeg-4 so it is still one codec.

h.264 is the plebe name of ISO/IEC 14496-10 – MPEG-4 Part 10, Advanced Video Coding but we like easy to remember random letters and numbers in the video encoding community

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Dr. Honked posted:

kirk has a final front ear!! get yur facts straight

hows bink working out for you? lol we can't give up 5mb of ram to play a real codec that would breeeaaak us!

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Dr. Honked posted:

what are you talking about

arent all game developers slaved to bink because it runs in less than 1mb of ram?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

basically replace all the words on the screen with the containers i listed in first post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaq025i3XK8&t=11s

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

cool so ue3 is in 1996? good to know.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Wilhelm_Scream.wav posted:

does he camp quaud daumauge
Negative. Not that scrubby

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

AtomD posted:

mkv is a slut that'll put any old thing inside itself so people who make devices that are supposed to play video files tend not to support it
you can encode video with something like dirac and mkv will happily contain it but devices will go "i can't deal with this who the gently caress uses dirac"

mp4 otoh is v faithful and will only accept a h.264 and stuff

unless your apple then you do dumb poo poo like shove in a .ac3 and watch other players flip out

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Shaggar posted:

looks like vc-1 wmv wins again

wins for worst image quality in a 2 man race basically

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Trainbearer posted:

As I've been probated for posting that in the past, I would advise you not to post that even if you modified a quote to make it seem like I said it. Happy holidays.
/

yes, you were probated just for that.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

ahmeni posted:

yeah i tried ffmpeg and mencoder and the bitrate was just too high on them i guess? i basically wanted to build it full size so i could fake left/right panning on a 1920x1080 size output but i couldnt get it to work

i might just end up doing all the slicing with a python script and just generate the video from that but figuring out all the cropping to 16:9 ratio by hand and ughhh :effort:

just use mjpeg in a valid container gd.

i've been over this with you before h.264 has a max frame size of 4096

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Shaggar posted:

nah vc1 owns

vc3 owns

vc1....not so much

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Quine Connoisseur posted:

you can use subler for this but if the audio isnt aac it'll reencode it because ios doesnt support anything other than aac in mp4

yeah and so does everybody else because its the spec.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

echinopsis posted:

call up the tv guys and lecture them on the finer points of mpeg4 encoding

this would be p funny.

echinopsis posted:

next question: when is mpeg5 coming out and will it encode in 3 dimensions? (not just 2 x 2d like new 3d is)

slow down hoss, cable cos are just upgrading to h.264 hardware, they need to run it into the ground for the next 10 years.

its h.265 (aka ISO/IEC 23008-2 MPEG-H Part 2) not mpeg-5

microsoft should hire mpeg-la guys to make up product names, it would be so much better

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Migishu posted:

hey guys, remember divx?

no, neither do I

Starcraft 2 uses Divx (mpeg-4 license) to encode their videos because they aren't afraid to use some rams.

quality is still bad because lol divx

~my macroblocks~

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

cineform or prores so that premiere or fcp or whatever wont gag on the previews and timeline while you're scrubbing through them. anything else is for scrubs. be prepared for the prores transcoded files to take about 10x the space of the original files out of the camera, so your 5 gig project can quickly turn into a 50gig project. transcode with something that can take advantage of CUDA because gently caress waiting for even an i7 to do that poo poo by hand.

oh, your talking anime codecs? who cares, whatever vlc will play is fine.

lol what is this? 5 years ago? edit native in all three big NLEs or :frogout:

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

yes i shot raw so i could create/edit proxies and make more work for myself.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

prores is still cool tho just wish it wasn't in a crappy container

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

got dat wmd posted:

Wait what I thought it just saved replay data which you need to capture in game to make video

cutscenes.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

yo good luck not having any of the big 3 not cough up a lung when you scrub through more than a minute or two of 1080p.

that mercury hardware playback engine in premiere took care of a lot of that, but it still gets choppy on me every once in a while if im not using prores or cineform.

disk i/o deficiency

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

on a solid state drive?

The adobe engineers told me that AVCHD and other non all-i frame codecs need more disk IO becuase it has to read ahead and create all the iframes you want to seek in the middle.

I'm guessing its because your on OS X? They said that it was their secondary platform and they didn't put as much time into it.

It's also possible that you have have enabled MPE on a card that isn't officially supported by adobe doing the text file hack, and you could get slower performance than software mode.

pagancow fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 31, 2012

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Doc Block posted:

adobe treating non-windows platforms as second-class citizens? you don't say!!!

edti: and yeah, if you're gonna use a mac for creative stuff, use a mac with an nvidia GPU so you can take advantage of all the CUDA-enabled stuff, since apparently OpenCL is slower and badly supported on windows.

lol look at the epic card list you get to choose from for suported cuda cards in 10.8.2

GeForce 200 series:
GTX 285 for MAC

GeForce 100 series:
GT 120

GeForce 8 series:
8800 GT

Quadro series:
4000 for Mac

Quadro FX series:
FX 5600, FX 4800 for MAC

only 3 of those cards will give you a framerate boost with MPE with frame sizes over 1920x1080

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

i do premiere on a windows box precisely becasue adobe hates apple now. i also have a GTS450 fermi whatever, which makes it render HD video faster than realtime, so I dont think its the card. either way, it only stutters erry once ina while, so its nbd.

a 450 is too slow for 1920x1080 video. Also they didn't make those cards with 2gb of ram.

Try turning off MPE and you might find that it will be faster.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Top 10 MKVs this year:

lol if "the scene" really wanted an obscure format that could hold anything they should just use MXF. At least you can do something with MXF other than play it back in terrible traffic cone player.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

my first real video experience was listening to kevin pereira's online radio show on lickmysweaty.com

video came across 56k modems at 5-10 fps max in a postage stamp sized video of less than 180px in any dimension. I seem to remember seeing some fatboy slim concert streamed at one point later on in real video's lifespan

company died because they turned it into adware and people were like 'welp'

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

echinopsis posted:

so what was xvid then
coz that was standard for a v.long time... still is on your non HD rips?

youre in luck, there are so many parts of mpeg-4 (30) that it would give peter jackson a bonre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4#MPEG-4_Parts

If I had to take a guess it would be Mpeg-4 Part 4.

:ninja: edit : loooooool its mpeg-4 part 2 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DivX#DivX_profiles

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

This is why your video codec sucks. All are 4:2:0 except professional stuff

~my chroma resolution~

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

4:1:1 - yes i am still using os 9 to edit video

4:2:0 - ok if you think eating at mcdonalds is ok

4:2:2 - sometimes you throw around words like "pro" and "macro blocks"

4:4:4 - master video race supremacy (aspergers)

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

because an i-frame didnt get broadcast and the video decoder doesnt know to change something onscreen

here is some nerd poo poo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_compression_picture_types

pro click

pro posting champion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

"its not in 10-bit mkv format no buy" -a thing i can imagine someone here saying unironically

• Locked thread