Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

ahmeni posted:

there ended up being some issue with mjpeg as well, but i can't remember what it was but at some point i was installing visual studio so i could recompile my copy of ffmpeg and at that point i realized gently caress this and gently caress everything

when you have reached the point of recompiling ffmpeg, it is always time to turn around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

iframed roger rabbit

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

VectorSigma posted:

nice guesses

the lack of interframe compression makes widely varying transport velocities available for VJ performances. sometimes i loop things backwards or back and forth. sometimes i play random frames. in multiple layers.

it's a niche application for sure.

post em if you got em

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

ahmeni posted:

how do the libavcodec developers not go insane trying to reverse engineer everything for free

they are fueled by rms-like rage against the machine

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Carthag posted:

i dont know crap about anything AV related because gently caress giving a poo poo about that, but when i play something on an imac running vlc through hdmi to a projector, the screen is often really dark

its not dark when watching something off a dvd or bluray or whatever

so what settings should i mess around with to make it less dark

don't use vlc

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

pagancow how bad is dxva decoding

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

polpotpi posted:

oh i didnt even know. thanks for the heads up

iirc it was over the feature where it automatically plays the next file in a folder. apparently doing "ls" is a big security no-no

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

we can all agree that anyone who encodes black bars should be shot, right

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

pagancow posted:

cool, lets just ignore TV standards too. I'm encoding my video at 34.2 fps

cya

i'm talking about digital stuff not dads widescreen vhs tapes okay

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

the sub in my car definitely goes below 80Hz, gently caress your rules

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

what kind if fool argues with fishmech about NTSC

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

It's MPlayerX for OS X

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnOfEfX1EVE

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Quine Connoisseur posted:

i miss having firewire on idevices

steve

why

chip was expensive

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

it seems really dumb that my tv has an h264 decoder but you can't actually get it from the cable co. no we have to send you mpeg2 so you can use this lovely box with a bad remote that makes a droid look fast. suck my gently caress.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

right but if they weren't such dickheads when it comes to cable cards nobody would need their dumb boxes. It would save them money and be better for the consumer, but it won't happen because .....

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

pagancow posted:

looooooool if mac os sees that your display supports Component video and RGB it will choose Component over RGB making it look like poo poo!!

http://embdev.net/topic/284710

even.

over.

displayport.

lol it's a bug with the thunderbolt macs apparently. just tried it myself and a 2011 mbp, 10.8.4 (thunderbolt) does YCBCr, but a 2008 macbook, 10.6 (mini-dvi) and a 2009 mbp, 10.8.4 (displayport) use RGB.

so it's only a problem if you have a new mac, great thanks apple.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

the tiger was scary

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

even youtube has an anti-shake built in but actual movies are now worse than the blair witch project

how did this happen

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

yo tldr what can i do to run a background process to convert all my random poo poo on my share to ios friendly format. i want to just import all my poo poo into itunes or something. whats on a linux for this

handbrake if you don't want to learn ffmpeg commands

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

chumpchous posted:

but only if your video supports the limited number of containers/codecs that quicktime supports. which means cjing my video into the format

no it means paying pagancow, that's the idea

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Instant Grat posted:

my 360 doesn't do subtitle tracks

the media server i use does have support for transcoding on the fly and hardcoding the subs onto the video stream in the process but why the gently caress would i ever do that

don't use a 360 for media playback, it is trash. last time i used a 360 + wmc it would randomly decide to not show any files unless you sorted by date until you rebuilt the library in wmc. how does that even happen?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Quine Connoisseur posted:

got a new tv and noticed what looked like dad pixels so i zoom enhanced it

wtf happened here

looks like something stuck between the backlight and the LCD to me. ask for a replacement.

gently caress why doesn't youtube support 60fps video if they allow 4k that is some poo poo right there

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

hey pagancow what software would you recommend for capturing old VHS tapes via S-Video? i have an old avermedia analog capture card but none of the software that came with it. i'm looking mostly for something that can do the deinterlacing and clean up the audio nicely.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

there's so much wrong here but all i can think is "man what a scrub rear end encode"

is this guy dressed up as zorg?

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

He's peacocking

Bitches know what's up when dey see the villain from an unpopular 90s scifi flick comin

5th element rules trashface

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

r i p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUagYP6YnJI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

pagancow, macs are for pros you see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-myFXiEh2Q

• Locked thread