Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
tell me about:

truemotion

cinepak

and why they're bad in the context of the time they were out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
i remember converting things to Smacker format video edit them into vidya games. made by the same company as Bink, but earlier, and it supported only 256 colors + transparency but you could have a completely different palette of colors on each frame.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Wheany posted:

so, an animated gif?

an animated gif except with actual inter-frame compression and sound support

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pagancow posted:

i love h.264 becuase quality is high, for a 4:2:0 medium

I hate it because everybody is in codec hell and h.264 doesn't play back right.

quicktime? decoder from 2006 in windows, anything over baseline profile probablly won't run at the correct framerate, and TV -->RGB levels doesn't occur.

VLC? playback is mostly fine, but same thing with the TV -->RGB levels by default, also lol vsync in my video player? whats that?

most people have a codec pack installed becuase "lol we always installed a codec pack!" and now they are in codec hell and its decoding single threaded off the CPU, and anything over 15mbps chokes, becuase LOL WE ALL HAVE LAPTOPS RUNNING AT 1.8GHZ OR SOMETHING YAYYYYY

2013, year of the worst h.264 decoder situation

what does my xbox 360 use for h.264. because thats how i watch most h.264 content mostly

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

THC posted:

my display supports 24hz but my movies looked jerky as gently caress when I tried them in that mode. what gives

movies are inherently jerky as gently caress because they're 24 fps. hth

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQokTc8D0P8

Watch the wheels and the sand when it goes to slowmo. Thats a really bad example, but even in really good examples, Twixtor generally gives itself away. ive seen it in production television even.

the youtube antishake thing is a visual representation of dubstep

heres a sweet example of antishake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6SgP9ngSFU&t=315s

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

was toy story 3 converted? that seems stupid as hell but i wonder since it didnt work for poo poo. i know alice was converted and it was awful

i think they just rendered Toy Story 3 twice, once for 2d and once for 3d

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ahmeni posted:

because the Apple TV is a sleeper product that not many people want until apple does something good with it

protip: they never will

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ahmeni posted:

does it even have apps?? or is it just preloaded with Netflix or something

like I want an Apple TV but I have no idea what it does or what content I can access outside of the states. our Netflix is terrible. like worse than Canadian Netflix

the apple tv:
1) plays (some of) your content from itunes
2) has support for a few online streaming services for video and music

here's a list of the services

iTunes Store (Content must be streamed live or downloaded via iTunes onto a device with storage capability [personal computer, iPhone, iPad, etc.])
Flickr and iCloud photo slide shows
Netflix
Hulu Plus
YouTube and Vimeo
Rotten Tomatoes reviews can be browsed for rented/purchased content
NBA TV and MLB.tv allow access to league scores, statistics, and their accompanying subscription services.

so i think in australia you'd just get itunes store, flickr and icloud slide shows, youtube and vimeo.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Moist von Lipwig posted:

So it's a glorified TV tuner?

well it cant actually let you watch live tv off an antenna or cable box

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

appletv youtube is useless
any content with ads on it is silently deleted from search results

i.e. any youtube content worth watching at all

lol last time i used an apple tv it still handled videos with ads. nice to know they made it worse

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
im immune to color banding affecting my enjoyment of things because i started pirating videos on computers with a 256 color display so it was inevitable

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pagancow posted:

even bill gates.avi has proper dithering

16 and 24 bit color videos being played back on a 256 color screen

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nomnom Cookie posted:

What's color banding

Is it like livestrong

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

hey are there any tv providers that dont compress the poo poo out of everything and turn it into macroblock hell? i just dumped uverse and have just been watching ota tv and apple tv lately, and holy poo poo are both waaaaaaaayyyyyyyy better than uverses blocky lovely mess. any fast motion was rendered unwatchable mess because of the compression.

are there any tv providers (either cable/dsl/satellite) that arent complete trash with regards to compression?

my comcast system displays them just fine, but i've been to other regions and watched comcast there and it was all compressed??

though our local comcast systems have completely removed all analog signals from the distribution, so I think they have a lot more bandwidth available to send out hd channels than places that still have analog channels available

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shaggar posted:

I think u mean standard def digital, not analog. analog is the channels your 20 year old tv can get plugged directly into the cable. I don't think many providers have much more than 60 analog channels. each of those channels is gigantic and static so they block off a huge amount of bandwidth on the coax. by switching everyone to digital they free up that space for switched digital.

yeah pretty much. one standard analog cable channel's space could provide 2 or 3 high quality 720p or 1080i digital channels, or up to 8 SD resolution digital channels.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cold on a Cob posted:

is there still analog cable in canada? because ota is 100% digital now i think

yes. lots of cable systems simply haven't carried out the conversions

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shaggar posted:

eventually cable cos will get to a point where they have a handful of holdouts who wont let them convert and the cable cos will just drop them.

yeah thats what they did here. except instead of drop people they issued the absolute most basic digital cable box you can imagine for free to anyone with an analog only subscription and told them they could have a free install job from comcast, install the free device themselves, or just not ever watch cable again.

the cable box is like the size of an apple tv 3 and all it has on the remote is power, change channel and volume

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shaggar posted:

they give those to the ones that let them in to install them. theres a whole other category of olds who refuse to let them change anything.

my grandma has one of those little boxes which is for the best cause she really wouldn't understand how a digital box works. its actually pretty slick, imo, cause she really cant tell that its there

it turns out that when you inform them that "no really, you aren't getting anymore of your cable if you don't let us install this, because the signal is shutting off on may 1st" they change their minds p quick.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pagancow posted:

When they announced ATSC standards for OTA broadcasts I was like "really? thats it?"

the ATSC standards are 18 years old

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ahmeni posted:

it's weird here in aus cable is a premium tier service and just about everybody else watches poo poo OTA for free

thats pretty much how it is in every country that had like only 2 channels up until the late 80s.

like in the us and canada cable systems started to get subscription over tv services by the mid 70s, and later satellite did too. but in australia there wasn't any regular broadcast tv at all until 1956 and they didn't get more than 5 channels nationwide til the 90s iirc

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
50p? grossss

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
everything should be at least 60 imo

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

longview posted:

I seriously doubt a normal person can tell the difference between a 50 Hz and a 60 Hz signal on an LCD.

more is better

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pagancow posted:

60P is best becuase 24P pulldown in it is p hard to see

50P sucks becuase you cant do 24P, you have to speed it up and do 25P.

yeah 3:2 has problems and all but its better than having hosed up pitch and such

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pagancow posted:

once you have seen the 3:2 pulldown, you cannot unsee it

do not attempt to see it just enjoy content and say gently caress it. its a huge money hole you will go down and it never stops

i can totally see 3:2 pulldown but it doesn't bother me. 24 fps stuff sped up to fit into an even multiple of 50 though? that poo poo is grating

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
gonna be cool when everyone forgets about vine in 8 months. like every other vaguely social thing that releases solely on ios and the web

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
indeed, stupid flash in the pan pseudo-social-network things should be kept away from normal people's phones.

ps if you still don't understand that android is the phone os for normal people then you're legally retarded.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
what was that one called like 2 years ago where the premise was itd monitor the microphone for similar sounds so you could share pictures only with people who were close by

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
oh here http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/23/color-social-network-bill-nguyen_n_839865.html

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

now that i get vine, im still not sure if it will stick around for long. it is like twitter for videos, but mashing out 140 characters is easy, vine requires effort, and we all know how the twitter world likes effort

p much

theres a reason video calls are dead and texts reign supreme after all

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

duTrieux. posted:

how the gently caress is this thread still on topic

because video codecs is piece of poo poo

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Wheany posted:

welp, webm infringes h.264 patents after all:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/03/07/google-admits-its-vp8webm-codec-infringes-mpeg-h264-patents

oh, and: "Mozilla and Opera initially also tried to prevent the use of H.264, but have since capitulated to support H.264 as a standard" i guess webm is completely dead then.

webm sucks because nothing hardware accelerates it

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Wheany posted:

well that and also it is worse in every way compared to the one true codec and now we have learned that it's not even free.

yeah but if it had been hardware accelerated id be willing to just deal with that. instead its also slower and less compatible, on top of looking kind of rear end and not being as good on storage space

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
acceleration is coming but it isnt on anything now, and we were supposed to have started getting vp8 hardware acceleration last year

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pagancow posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc#Blu-ray_3D

According to this, it's just multiplexed Left and Right eye as 2 discrete video streams. I find it funny that they make a 3D blu-ray version seperate from the main movie since it claims it's done in such a way that an older blu-ray player should be able to play left eye only encodes.

lisa "left-eye" encodez

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pagancow posted:

so i just tried to play a level 4.1 avc compliant .mp4 file on a late 2008 macbook pro and it kept dropping out when the bitrate spiked over 50mbps.

loooooooooooooooooooool windows 7 doesn't have this problem.

is this because microsoft licensed a better built in decoder or what

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pagancow posted:

who am i kidding, microsoft actually tests stuff to the spec instead of saying "yep our 5mbps itunes videos work"

well yeah, some of their business actually depends on it

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pagancow posted:

iOS is surprisingly good at video playback considering how terrible Quicktime and OS X is.

Honestly dedicated video playback hardware is better because you cant screw it up.

Turnkey solutions

whats the 30 hz psf mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Wheany posted:

can we talk about webp? because it seems webp is pretty ownage. it supports lossless and lossy compression, with alpha, and animation. and it seems to do each better than jpeg, png and gif. and google might be able to use their high browser market share to actually give the format some chance of making it.

20% share isnt enough to push adoption

• Locked thread