Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i just spent a year transcoding all of my FCP7 exports in "high quality" through ffmpeg and then again through mencoder because i need ffmpegs libavfilter support (for timecode windows) but i couldnt get ffmpeg to create media that could play in quicktime/ios. this method was still faster than all other methods of exporting media from FCP7 with a TC window.

i finally realized that it's because ffmpeg doesn't use yub420p by default. a cursory google search would have revealed this. the sad part is that i did research the problem quite a bit before giving up. setting a single flag in ffmpeg has cut my transcode time by about 30-40%. mock me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

pagancow posted:

Imagine that. Mac OS having problems with codecs!

If only every executive producer in the world didn't use a mac.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
wow i dont remember the originals looking that bad. id need to look through my monitor, but the highs must barely get above ire 60, and i'd guess most of the image is sitting way higher than it oughta be. you've got pitch black and then absolutely nothing for 20 ires. looks awful

imo the new edition is closer to the intended feeling. i remember the films looking like they do in the enhanced pictures, even if they didn't. it's not like the new versions look 'objectively correct.' they still have a blue/green temp to them. you cna just actually see them now

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
hahahahaha what. who decided that was acceptable

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Install Gentoo posted:

nope, film sucks. and its dead

the new edition is in fact how they looked, and its also how the laserdisc and vhs releases looked. someone just done hosed up the original dvd release

I only ever owned the film on vhs ( vinyl for filmophiles) so that makes sense

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
our workflow:

a) editors export sequence
b) editors transcode into h264 baseline profile (ffmpeg/x264)
c) editors upload to our webserver
d) clips are then streamed through wowza to producers nationwide ~~~

producers are lazy fucks who think watching movies on their telephone counts as providing constructive feedback (also lots of them are on shoots but need to watch rough cuts or something), so that's why baseline profile is important. however wowza/jwplayer are totally capable of doing adaptive streaming, so i'd like to start having the editors export in higher quality and then having the server transcode into different profiles.

many of our editors are freelancers who don't work onsite, so exporting uploading full resolution clips to our webserver is not reasonable. i need to come up with intermediary transcode settings, probably targeting ~ 1gb for a 22 minute clip. obviously it won't be the highest quality imaginable, but that's to be expected.

is h264 suitable for this intermediary transcode? do i need to do things like make sure my keyframe intervals line up or is that not going to matter? is there anything special i should do?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
well yeah. right now we're doing 640x360 for iPhones, at RF 24 that usually ends up between 170-200mbs. 1080p is out of the question. 720p might be doable but i'd be happy just to get to 960x540.

i'm really just wondering if there are any specific h264 options i need to be careful with when doing a double encode

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i'll just mess with it. i'm the only person who will care if the quality is less than it could be so

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yo are there any lossless video codecs that might be good for compressing a video, transferring it, and then decompressing it on the other side? i tried it with h264 and the output was twice as big as our full res poo poo (yes our native codec is poo poo i bet you cant guess which one it is).

I'm guessing it's probably impractical for normal footage, but maybe for animations and stuff with a lot of black?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i bet if someone had recorded a video of your receding hairline and encoded it to mpeg2, it would have suffered from macroblocking issues

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Quine Connoisseur posted:

if youre still using ffmpeg try ffvhuff

i think that has to go in an avi or matroska container though idk its been a while since i messed with it

i'll give this a shot tomorrow and let you know how it goes. i don't really care what container it goes into because the idea would be to transcode to something else on the other end. although i'm pretty sure the time it takes to do a lossless encode/decode is going to be greater than the files transfer rate but i'll see.

anyone have much experience with ffserver? my dad needs a media streamer for his company, but since it's just a 2 person operation, i'd like to avoid making him pay money for wowza. it looks like ffserver will require way more footwork than wowza, which is fine, i'm just wondering how it compares in terms of stability/stream quality/etc. He's competent enough that i think he'll be able to hand generate his ffmpeg commands, and i think he should be able to make the m3u8 (since ffserver doesn't handle that). it just seems crazy that you're recommended to run an ffmpeg instance per media source, but i guess that's probably not practically different from what wowza is doing. it just feels like a lot, probably because i'm used to seeing ffmpeg jack up my cpu usage to 1200%

-e nvm, huffy is looking really promising.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 09:02 on May 13, 2013

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i'm frankly surprised anything but sony products can create blu rays

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

pagancow posted:

JJ Trek 2 trip report:

Went to go see it in one of those fake DLP IMAX theatres. Movie contains about 30 minutes of 65mm filmed stuff, but it doesn't look much sharper than anamorphic 35mm (boo theatre)

Audio:

The mix was hard to hear the voices in a lot of parts. I'm pretty sure the sound system in this theater was p good because the shaking waves sent ripples through my clothes when it was supposed to. It felt like the dynamic range wasn't mixed for IMAX. Audio felt distorted when it got loud. Could be a side effect of fake IMAX theatre.

35MM anamorphic:

Its anamorphic. The bridge of the enterprise has even more flares than the first movie, just in case you thought it wasn't possible JJ delivers.

65MM Spherical Full frame footage:

I love 65mm film. It always looks great. They attempted to frame the 65mm footage to look good when viewed in IMAX. In earlier Dark knight films they did a straight 2.35:1 crop in the middle, so in a lot of the imax shots you just saw a bunch of stuff on the ceiling. JJ Trek 2 delivers. Props to IMAX 1st AC, poo poo was all in focus.

Stereography:

This is the first movie to have 65MM footage 3D converted in post. The 3d Conversion is surprisingly good. The best 3D conversion i've seen. Things start to break down when lens flares appear behind actors faces, where it has halation on the lens. It's just not something you can easily fix. So that means some of the horizontal lens flares appear in the background and on faces of subjects.

You can shoot anamorphic, or you can shoot 3D. There is a reason why you shouldn't have both and JJ was right.

One of the reasons why it looks good is because of the 5 pages of roto artists in the credits. Stay strong my brothers.

Stuff that normals care about :

It's exciting.

Stuff that trekkies care about :

KAAAAHHNNNN

Movie is pagancow approved, go see it.

yeah first 3d movie i've enjoyed. would transcode again ++

not because the 3d was good, just cuz it was 3d and also the movie wasnt complete poo poo. just mostly poo poo.

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 11:16 on May 20, 2013

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
so is there no button on the go pro to white balance, because it sure loving seems like it

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
Is there any LKFS calculation software that doesn't cost thousand and thousands of dollars? I understand why a real time monitor would be expensive, but there's I cannot imagine a reason that I cant just run an AIFF through an algorithm and have it tell me whether or not it conforms to the spec

e: I should really google before i ask questions

DONT THREAD ON ME fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 6, 2013

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
our network asks sots to be around -6db with -2db peaks and nats/music to be in that range if they're the focal point but apparently they've been doing LKFS metering for like, at least the last year and none of our shows have been rejected (until now)

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i cant stand him

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
sooo i have to transcode some xdcam stuff into h264 for proxies, but for some reason the audio drifts out of sync on the transcoded version. i'm having the issue with multiple xdcam movies

it's happening in both handbrake and ffmpeg (ffmpeg -> avi -> muxed to mp4 with MP4Box).

anyone seen this? it could be a dropframe issue or something (because it's synced at first and then slowly drifts), but i'm not sure. i havent bothered to actually do any diagnostics because i figured one of you would be able to tell me whats up, tia

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i used to do it separately but right now i'm doing it at the same time. actually, i transcode to avi, then dump out the audio and video separetly with mp4box before muxing them back together (probably really dumb but i couldn't get it to play on all the various mac things without doing this). i'll see if the audio is synced up in the avi file.

all of this would be pretty clearcut to me if handbrake wasn't doing the same thing.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
it won't play in all the quicktimes when i do that, which is unfortunately something it needs to do

there's probably a way to fix it but i don't know what it is (i am using yuv420p)

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Suspicious Dish posted:

It's a lapped transform, not lifting. A lifting scheme is just a technique to make the prefilter / postfilter invertible.

Are any of the other I-frame encodings actually used? I was under the impression that H.264 had some other I-frame encodings (like some lossless variants, and I believe it had a weird compositing image scheme), but nobody ever used them and they're not in the baseline profile, so who cares.

"DCT is JPEG" is a bit silly. There have been a lot of technological improvements and research since JPEG. Like, JPEG doesn't even specify how the DCT should work and which way floating point roundoff should go. It uses Huffman coding with this freakishly weird table scheme instead of modern arithmetic range coding.

The prediction scheme is pretty bad, where you start the next block having the DC offset of the last one, meaning that as you wrap around you have to store a large delta.

But yes, this is mainly about the main I-frame scheme and how lapped transforms eliminate edge discontinuities. If you show that "DCT" image to somebody they think YouTube. Good I-frame compression still matters today.

And then there's fun stuff where motion compensation can make the block align not to the grid, so you get the skin crawling artifact where the blocks are moving to weird not grid locations.

Yeah, there will be followup demos describing motion compensation and better prediction.

disclaimer, I work with Monty, the guy is as smart and fun in person as he is in the videos.

:blush:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Smythe posted:

why cant i hear dialogue in netflix but explosions r loud i have 2 speakers and me thing is set to stereo pleas help. i have a onkyo head unit thing that is meant for music i think. it has speak outputs for PHONO, CD, TAPE1, TAPE2. my spoeaker r jbl things

do i need a headunit and a center channel 4 dialogue? if so, is there a modestly priced head unit and speaker thing. tia

because netflix doesn't have to adhere to the CALM act so they just poo poo audio out however they want

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
been working on a show with a lot of go pro footage in it. i thought it looked really funky but the producer kept making comments like "wow i love this go pro stuff, that go pro look is great" so i ignored it. i finally decided to count the frames and it turns out all our go pro stuff has had some pulldown unnecessarily applied to it during ingest (head ingest guy thinks it is a software bug but i don't know). anyhow, i put together a quick program to batch ingest go pro footage with ffmbc, and now it all looks perfect.

now the producer keeps asking 'what's wrong with the go pro footage' so i've started applying a frame duping filter to mimic the look of the bad footage.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
he said 'trust me, it's really in right now' (or something like that). he's probably right, i dont know. he's not a bad guy, just very tv people

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
maybe your TV in the 90s was really bad

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
in this case it was hosed up, but it worked. it just ended up looking very rough, which is what he wanted to see

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
jesus even fcp 7 can do that

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
so how bad is avchd

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
here's some good reading. very informative and interesting

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=167428

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

quote:

4:2:0 vs. 4:4:4 is definitly very noticeable on videogame footage for example IMHO.

Also, regardless if noticeable or not: hey, we're in the year 2013, FULL-HD should be true FULL-HD and not just 1080p luma and a mere 540p chroma...

And so on...

Also, by the way:

See here: http://users.wfu.edu/matthews/misc/jpg_vs_gif/JpgCompTest/JpgChromaSub.html

The 4:4:4 example over there looks much better than the 4:2:0 counterpart IMHO. Much better. It looks much cleaner and therefore has much better definition.

And look at that mess in the magnified picture .

As already mentioned, chroma subsampling is a very evil thing .

quote:

quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poutnik
as the eye is using colour subsampling as well.
Quote:
What else are cones, if not pixels, even if not arranged in rectangular net ? And eye provide to brain higher resolution for intensity than for color.
All invalid points to me, because i can perfectly see the difference between 4:2:0 and 4:4:4 with, guess what, my own eyes .

And it's a HUGE difference i tell ya .

quote:

Quote:
If there is sufficient resolution you do not notice bleeding.
I always notice the bleeding. And it's very annoying.

quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshadis
But that's no reason why it shouldn't be specified and supported
IMHO, 4:4:4 should be mandatory and the be the only supported format. 4:2:0 (or 4:2:2) shouldn't be supported any longer IMHO.

It's quite sad to see how many of you in here seem to be okay with chroma subsampling...

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

quote:

quote:

Originally Posted by paradoxical

Yes. I've seen tons of people since the beginning of HDTVs that walk into stores like Best Buy and watch stock content of upscaled DVDs and 480i TV content and are amazed at the "HD" picture. Your point of view is so far from the average consumer's that it's hilarious.
My POV is not hilarious then. Instead the POV of the average consumer is sad.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i really want to know what he watches

i mean there's literally nothing on television worth seeing in perfect color

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
so is avchd better than older formats that use 422 (dvcpro, xdcam), because it has better compression and manages to store more information and therefore look better, or is it just more compressed so that you can store even more terrible looking media on your raids?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah well, let me tell you how my company will make use of this tech

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Malcolm XML posted:

dont stop

im almost there

(unironically: please go on I want to know more)

this incredibly technology will be used almost solely for the distribution of anime

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

pagancow posted:

You can find .r3d files pushed around at the reduser.net forums, so you could test what it would really be like to compress nicely made images into hevc.

if there was an encoder that wasome some CLI bs lol like i'm going to learn the cli

Which cli encoder are you talking about

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Quine Connoisseur posted:

thats a stupid way of doing it you can use ffmpeg for everything (except audio i guess unless you use ffmpeg's lovely aac encoder)

Just recompile ffmpeg with fdk aac

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

spankmeister posted:

jonny make a weede strain called h.264 tia

yuv420

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
yeah i do this for a living and i generally have no idea what they're talking about (but my job is mostly not about this stuff)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
our editors really love speedramps

as the person responsible for making sure our poo poo doesn't look like poo poo when it goes on TV, there's nothing i hate more than speedramps

• Locked thread