Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

pagancow posted:

.mp4 - p good because it can only hold 1 video codec, but apple does stupid poo poo like putting illegal streams like ac3 into it because lol standards. also stupid companies like happague like to make the framerates non interger like 4.33333333333333 so nothing really works right with those files.

doesn't it support both MPEG4-ASP (which is xvid right?) and MPEG4-AVC?

i used to pay attention to this stuff but now I just mash buttons in handbrake until it works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

quote:

John Carmack ‏@ID_AA_Carmack 2h
You can plug a composite video cable into the luminance (green) component HDTV port to get a grey scale image if no native composite port.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

pagancow posted:

I'm sure its part of rec.2020 spec so its okay that dolby is going to but an easy to remember human name on it like "dolby vision" or something dumb

dolby can go ahead and gently caress themselves

their trueHD is such a clusterfuck of pointless crap that I assume was made that way to fall under the protection of some patents they have or some poo poo

and despite becoming licensed they won't tell you poo poo about the format because lol ask your chip vendor about it

of course your chip vendor is totally incompetent and can't tell you poo poo about gently caress

so now, despite paying absurd quantities of money to dolby, to actually implement this poo poo you're reduced to reading loving ffmpeg source code comments

yeah gently caress dolby and DTS. presumably at some point people will remember that HDMI can carry 8-channel 192KHz PCM no problem (32 channel in HDMI 2.0 IIRC) and these idiots will cease to have any relevance

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

pagancow posted:

If you pay to become a licensed dolby producer they will let you in on the secretz

then you end up selling each one of your professional pieces of equipment for $8,000+

Dolby will talk to you

it's just going to cost ya

we already paid them way more than my salary or something you figure they could answer a question with less than a month's lead time

• Locked thread