Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
i tried to put together a 5184x3456 video file out of jpeg frames for a time lapse and nothing would build to that size because apparently its larger than the spec for loving mp4 or something and ugh christ i hate video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Emacs Headroom posted:

did you try mencoder? i think it'll just lossy compress to the bitrate you set, and you can set it super high maybe?

yeah i tried ffmpeg and mencoder and the bitrate was just too high on them i guess? i basically wanted to build it full size so i could fake left/right panning on a 1920x1080 size output but i couldnt get it to work

i might just end up doing all the slicing with a python script and just generate the video from that but figuring out all the cropping to 16:9 ratio by hand and ughhh :effort:

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

pagancow posted:

just use mjpeg in a valid container gd.

i've been over this with you before h.264 has a max frame size of 4096

there ended up being some issue with mjpeg as well, but i can't remember what it was but at some point i was installing visual studio so i could recompile my copy of ffmpeg and at that point i realized gently caress this and gently caress everything

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

RZApublican posted:

are there any video websites besides youtube that use webm? google has managed to re-enconde pretty much everything on youtube as webm but I don't think it's exactly taking over the world like they said it would

everybody is waiting for google to get sued over it before its safe/hosed forever

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ultimateforce posted:

MY DSLR does this really bad when shooting video and it drives me crazy.

If you have a good camera (canon), you can install magic lantern and adjust bitrate and it owns.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
canon is doing loving fantastically with the 6D and the 5Dmk3 but the 7d is being encroached upon like a motherfucker with the new nikons

canon video still loving owns especially with magic lantern because its got a regular autistic and super autistic modes and you can still hand your camera off to normal people to use

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

got dat wmd posted:

lol """""""""""amateur photographers""""""""""""""

my new years resolution this year is to get paid for one photography thing :unsmith:

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

rotor posted:

I will paypal you $5 to never talk about photography in yospos ever again

this is why i put you in the ocean

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

rotor posted:

back then we just called them gifs

gimme five gifs for a bmp, you'd say

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Gentle Autist posted:

more like lol professional photographers

I want dork room to have a fyad lite because I can't discuss anything seriously any more

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
my only hope is that they redo the original transformers at 60fps and maybe i can understand what is going on

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
my mother in law has a 42" led tv that she watches DVDs on a bluray player connected by a composite cable

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Socracheese posted:

a shameful son in law

i set it up originally as hdmi I don't know what the hell happened but if I change it again Ill be responsible for it

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Pretty sure the optics can handle it, 65mm is closer to 8K than 4

Isn't it more about sensors and noise since nobody uses film
we did a music video today with a 7D and some nice glass. it's cool how much you can do with cheap equipment these days

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

similar realtalk, keep shooting on your iphone and make good-rear end content. so many dudes have 5DMKII's and make total poo poo all day.

content is king, gear is secondary.

this is truth because gear is goddamn expensive

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

pagancow posted:

yes. I want to download this 256 palletized color snes replay that was rendered 8-bpc RGB on a pc then shoved into a 10-bit YUV color space to be played back in 8-bpc rgb:psyboom:

TEN

BIT

BIDEO

thanks for your motion jpeg help but on the other hand it turns out im a p bad content creator

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mister Snips posted:

why dont they produce anime and cartoons at lossless. as in like, vector. take that poo poo up to 4k with no effort

it's okay for an idea but its not really a shockwave for video, more of a flash in the pan but I guess it's always good to be looking at new grounds when it comes to big videos, or "macro media"

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Blackula69 posted:

I'm using an Nvidia card that was released after that article was written to convert Girls to mp4 for my girlfriend. I think it's okay

can we reverse this process to turn mp4s into girls

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Jimmy Carter posted:

In all seriousness, can't wait to play around with a Blackmagic Camera aka DSLR video on hard mode

holy poo poo this is cool
maybe canon will finally start pushing some more modern day fea-hahaha just kidding who's ready for a facebook button on their canon 5dmk4

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

pagancow posted:

Yeah except sensor size is so small compared to cannons smallest dslr sensor.

Artistic choices man

plus the 5d3 is supposed to get 4:2:2 output over hdmi with a firmware update soon

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

pagancow posted:

Yeah but then you have to attach an external recorder with an external battery to the unit. You can't easily handhold that so then you need to put it on rails, and by that time you could have had a camera with 4:2:2 recording

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpHfQXtrLwQ

but then you dont have a camera that can take still photos of the goddamn milky way :2bong:

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
maybe your autism about other peoples media enjoyment would be a little better tempered by thinking of it as stretching 12:9 to 16:9

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

maybe if stretching 12:9 to 16:9 didnt cut off 4:9 of the video, then yeah

its not authentic old person behavior unless its completely stretched to fit 16:9 without cutting anything off, poo poo all stretched wide

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
pagan cow are there colourblind people who do post work

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
like sometimes I think that if I overcompensated the red and green on my screen accordingly id be able to see things "normally" but I don't think anything works that way plus it would still look wrong to me I think?

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
how do the libavcodec developers not go insane trying to reverse engineer everything for free

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
2 pass is alive

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
if i wanted to make a dumb skateboarding video for my nephews will any of the video editing things have a bunch of presets for cool effects or will i have to potentially learn things (i dont want to learn)

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

pagancow posted:

good video speaks for it self. presets are dumb 98% of the time.

i just want to do those dumb skateboard things where they freeze a dude halfway through a kick flip and his name wipes in from the side for a few seconds, wipes out and then resumes the clip

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

pagancow posted:

Don't use a .icm from a manufacturer. Each monitor needs to be hand tweaked.

Color management is hard, don't bother unless you know what you are doing. Just be happy being ignorant about colors like everybody else.

apparently this is less of an issue with the ultrasharps these days, tend to come pre-calibrated, people reporting they're showing more than the 84% of the colourspace they guarantee

*does all post work in adobe RGB, clients reject everything due to viewing on 15" tn lcd from Circuit City*

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
it feels like ive broken my brain and now all i can think about is better camera gear

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
found a 5d2 a dude is selling cheapish but recording sound doesn't work. dude says he does his sound work with an old school clapper

cool but weird

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Doc Block posted:

AKA just like you should, LOL if you record audio in-camera.

little shotgun mike on the top never hurt no body

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Doc Block posted:

yeah, lemme just go and move the camera right up into the actor's face like some 13 year old with his dad's video camera because it's the only way you can get decent levels with an on-camera microphone.

also, lemme just go and make the cameraman also be the audio guy, it's cool, i like it when the levels are off and none of the voices are on-mic.

same but screamed at grandma during Christmas dinner when she asks me to take a video

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
did he do any of the transformers because those were awful action sequences

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
how do I get normalized audio playback in windows I'm tired of adjusting audio

im looking at you parks and recreation theme song u motherfucker

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

much like twixtor artifacts, your brain becomes permanently wired to notice them

is this the anti shake video thing like YouTube does? because I cannot unsee it and it makes me nauseous when watching things with it

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I don't like 3d when it looks like a couple of zaxis separated overlays

that poo poo is terrible and I don't understand how they did it for the football game I watched three minutes of before deciding this poo poo is terrible

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
though I will gladly listen to Carmack sperg about 3d for hours on end :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
because the Apple TV is a sleeper product that not many people want until apple does something good with it

• Locked thread