Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Still camera companies still don't know how to do video properly film at 11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Yes but at least Nikon does non-retarded things like have uncompressed video output over HDMI

basically what I'm trying to say here is just get a blackmagic camera if you're going to go shoot some raw vidz

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

ahmeni posted:

canon video still loving owns especially with magic lantern because its got a regular autistic and super autistic modes and you can still hand your camera off to normal people to use

so you're saying that I should buy this product to jailbreak it.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
In all seriousness, can't wait to play around with a Blackmagic Camera aka DSLR video on hard mode

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

ahmeni posted:

just kidding who's ready for a facebook button on their canon 5dmk4

too late brosef

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
ugh Resolve is hardddddd

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I'm legitimately surprised that none of my friends have access to a goddamn colorimeter to use for like an hour so I can have some semblance of color matching on my laptop screen to my external Korea-screen, because the colors supplied in built-in profiles are either unsaturated, or the blacks are washed out n stuff

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Rendering some BlackMagic footage in Resolve. Turns out the bottleneck in my computer is still the HD.

I have no idea how to fully max out this machine that doesn't involve bideo james.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Blackmagic camera update: it's a bundle of fun but lol at the workflow since it's 5 MB/frame in raw. You have to become the roundtrip master with Resolve and make edit proxies if you want to actually edit your stuff. Quality is amazing though and I can now laugh at every 'videographer' with a 5D because you are officially retarded if you buy one instead of a BMCC.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
holy poo poo I borrowed some friend's colorimeter and it somehow made my display worse.

It's like someone turned the color saturation to 70% and decreased the contrast so my blacks are now greys and somehow the yospos report/quote buttons are now a yellow-green compared to everything else here. And then I ran it on the built-in LCD and it did the exact opposite.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

pagancow posted:

disagree. I pre-process all of my videos by scrubbing noise completely out of Cb and Cr channels since it takes bits away from the Y channel. As a side effect you need to dither those channels as well to prevent banding, but as long as that dithering is static it "improves" the picture.

in all seriousness what's your toolkit like for this stuff because I want to get some stuff out of ProRes and into a pretty decent mp4 for showing on the web and I might as well go full-out sperg on this one

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
So is there anything cool coming out at NAB this year?

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

pagancow posted:

You put it in the dumpster because its a piece of trash and you buy a dreamcolor.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/382087-382087-64283-72270-3884471-3648397.html?dnr=1

its like killing an ant with a rocket launcher, do it pagancow style

is it still impossible to get 10-bit color from my computer to this thing without going through like 2 additional converters?

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Doc Block posted:

The 4K camera is awesome just for having a global shutter, which IIRC not even the Red Epic has.

Red just announced a 'global shutter' mount that uses an LCD, and it also doubles as an adjustable ND filter. Only $4500.

Also, new, upgraded fans which can be yours for the low price of $450.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
NAB is by far the best show to sperg out at because you can go and just gently caress with all of the cutting edge A/V stuff that's super-expensive and would never be seen outside of a profesisonal environment. And then you can go out to the sat pavillion and get vendors to burn $50 in sat time on you just as a demo as long as you don't stand in front of the feed horn.

college ruled.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Oh hey, after owning my TV for about 4 years, I just discovered it has an RJ-45 jack on the back. I have literally no idea what it does.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
hooray china post of the day

http://www.amazon.com/Seiki-Digital-SE50UY04-50-Inch-120Hz/dp/tech-data/B00BXF7I9M/ref=de_a_smtd

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

flyboi posted:

lmao 4k is limited to 30hz on hdmi 1.4 eat poo poo early adopters with your already worthless 4k tv

Why would anyone want or need more than 30 fps???

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

flyboi posted:

All it does is overlay the new interface over your existing box.

The reason they didn't go for cable card is because to have the ability to decrypt from your system you have to pay an absurd licensing cost where the hdmi approach is already available since they use hdmi

The lol part is this is exactly how google tv works and everyone hated it

the guy who hacked the first xbox put out a bit of hardware that can MITM a protected HDMI stream and do overlays and such, but it's DMCA-compliant because it never decrypts the stream it just overwrites pixels in-place because lol hdcp.

words

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Oh hey, there's a new version of Premiere and After Effects out.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Other way to look at spatial color sampling:

Pan-chromatic shot from Landsat 8 (but higher-res)

Color shot of the same area

Combine the two and:

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Blackmagic update: the 3 people I know who preordered them are livid that they have not received yet and are considering setting fire to B&H as a result.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Alereon posted:

fake edit for actual content: whats up with hevc these days? its hard to find anything good between all the press releases

Super-1.0 hardware is out but the chipsets that you can put in consumer-grade devices are still a bit too expensive to start just throwing in there willy-nilly, and x265 is currently in alpha. Pretty much the exact same as when H.264 rolled out.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Also, whats the best x264 resource learning about the dark art of bit-compressing for someone at skill level Encoding 102 like me?

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

posted:

We asked. You answered. Many of the JDI feature requests submitted are already IN the list above, now you have the chance to help us decide one more feature that will be coded at the IBC Show and included in the October 2013 release.

I like the idea of throwing a bunch of programmers in a plastic box hung above the show floor and having them code David Blaine style

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

I remember hearing stories about how the daily show had a team of interns just to janitor their rack of tivos and their method of controlling them was to tape over most of the IR port and hold the remote next to one.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I was wondering how their products got around HDCP.

Turns out they're just using the analog hole for now.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
:siren: VLC 2.1.0 is out :siren:

Changelog posted:

FOR ANIME FANS
  • New 6.1 downmixer to 5.1 and Stereo from MKV/Flac 6.1.
  • Correct YUV->RGB color matrix in the OpenGL shaders.
  • Improved MKV support for seeking, and resiliancy.
  • Editions support in MKV.
  • Better subtitles and metadata support from MKV.
  • Various rear end subtitles improvements.

I'm the rear end subtitles.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
so :filez: is still better than netflix (ignoring the MKV comedy)?

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Also 'pro' video story of the day:
Back in college, the post house that was working on some Discovery show asked if we could grab some pickup shots for them because they forgot. We used some canon HDV camera we had at the time (lol 2008), grabbed the footage, wrote all over the tape and box and envelope 'HDV with 24p 2:3 pulldown'

*3 weeks later*
:phoneb: yeah you sent us a blank tape
:phone: we shot it, I verified it about 3 times
:phoneb: No, you sent us a blank tape. We put it in our Panasonic HVX200's, there was nothing. Put it in our Sony DV decks, only timecode.
:phone: That's an HDV tape champ. DV decks can't read them. Panasonic cameras can't read HDV, note the lack of HDV logo anywhere on the camera. Fedex me back the tapes and I'll get you some ProRes files.
:phoneb: Don't worry, we'll figure it out *spends $2000 to have another facility put the footage onto a D5 tape*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

pagancow posted:

also dont forget to add this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/798930-REG/X_Rite_EODIS3_i1Display_Pro.html

Every monitor you put this on and run the calibration poo poo will look right, a good profile will be built, and any color managed application will be 100% correct.

I bought one on amazon, used it for about 30 minutes to profile my $400 corean 27" LCD and my MBP, immediately returned it once I had a profile.

am I a bad person?

• Locked thread