Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i learned a few months ago that even when you connect your computer or console with hdmi to your television, there is a very high possibility that the loving tv does some chroma subsampling to the image which is why text on websites looks like poo poo. i noticed it on my tv, but i didnt know wtf

apparently tvs that dont do that are rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
let me tell you about hfr, having just seen the hobbit:

mostly things just looked smoother, i.e. better, but for some reason any time there was a closeup of hands on screen doing something, it looked weird and sped up.

the whole movie started with such a shot, with bilbo opening a chest an spreading the map.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

also nice "broadband" that downloads at less than gigabit speeds

i hate to say "asking for it" but optical media in tyool 2013, smdh

now try streaming a movie through that. boy howdy, i sure love 720p with stereo sound

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Cardboard Box A posted:

New H.265 video standard approved, will allow for high-quality video at half the bitrate

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/25/3917072/new-h-265-video-standard-approved-will-allow-for-high-quality-video-half-bit-rate

"Yeah, take that fansubbers, your 10bit encodings are out of date now! Start encoding yours in H.265 so nobody can play it."

well, what it is actually going to be used is shoving twice the number of SD channels that show home shopping progrmas through the pipe

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
how will they distribute h.265? (except streaming)

blu-ray disks should have enough capacity for most movies, i think. all the blu-ray rips i've made have been around 20-22 gigabytes, and dual layer blu-rays have 50 gb capacity. so 4*pixels*0.5 bitrate = around 40gb for a 4k movie at current 1080p quality.

has there been any talk about higher-capacity physical media? hvd seems pretty much doa, but i guess it's a format that exists by some definition

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
good news, h.265 supports interlaced video by saving the fields as separate frames and having some flag that tells the decoder that they should be shown interlaced.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

ahmeni posted:

how do the libavcodec developers not go insane trying to reverse engineer everything for free

autism

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
i made a screen recording for a class, captured it with a lossless codec. i then encoded it in h.246 dragging the quality slider all the way to "0 (high quality)", and the about two-and-a-half minute 720p video was barely over 2 megabytes and the image quality is prtty much flawless. (it was mostly a static image, but still)

i guess what i'm trying to say is that my video codec was not a piece of poo poo.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

yes, it looked like the right-side picture, which is "pretty much flawless"

lol if you think that a web video about clicking some buttons has to have 4:4:4 video

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

pagancow posted:

sRGB sucks, rec.709 sucks, all tv and video standards suck

much like everything related to computers

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
these are from memory, but i think they were shooting for 2-3 times the processing power for encoding, 2 times for decoding. compared to h.264

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

pagancow posted:

h.265 will need new hardware unless you want your battery to last like 30 minutes and play back video at 5 fps.

There will still be codec packs you can install and be in codec hell for desktop OSes.

The numbers I'm seeing thrown around are "higher requirements than High profile h.264" which is p high without an ASIC doing it

is codec hell still a thing?

doesnt everything just statically include ffmpeg or whatever?

that's what i anticipate anyway. at some point i will update vlc (or mvc) an dhandbrake and suddenly they just support h265.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Nomnom Cookie posted:

so x264 is better then

can you turn my avis into x264s, i can email them (gmail has an attachment limit so they'll have to be multipart rar files i think)

http://handbrake.fr/

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
drop your avi file on the window, select iPad from the presets list, click start

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
i just looked at a cable recording i have and it's about 3.5 Mbps, sd resolution, mpeg2

youtube seems to be about same bitrate for 1080p, h.264

of course this varies by cable operator and such

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
a 1080p cable recording from the same operator is about 7.5 Mbps, h264.

so by this very thorough investigation, i'd say that streaming < cable

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

what provider do you have that is on h264??

sonera

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

pagancow posted:

I bet the 4-5 Mbps h264 on YouTube looks the same or better than that 7.5 because 2pass, x264 encoder, google engineers being better than stuff in an expensive hardware box, etc

probably. except i doubt they use 2-pass encoding, since they are not aiming for a specific file size. i hear constant rate factor is what the cool kids use these days

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

just a butt posted:

i accidentally ended up on tvtropes trying to see if some sperg went through all the animes done in flash and

welp

i agree. every night when i watch my pony shows, i laugh out loud at some of the hilarious errors

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
12-bit 4:4:4. my japanese animes have never looked better :syoon:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Install Gentoo posted:

i remember converting things to Smacker format video edit them into vidya games. made by the same company as Bink, but earlier, and it supported only 256 colors + transparency but you could have a completely different palette of colors on each frame.

so, an animated gif?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

pagancow posted:

most people have a codec pack installed

is that seriously a thing that people still do?

wait, it's because of mkv, isn't it. they download an mkv and it doesn't open in wmp and they install a codec pack instead of vlc of mpc.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
does any mp4-like container have support for chapters? mp4? m4v? m2ts? is that information even embedded in the file itself or does some meta file on a blu-ray contain that data.

because if it's a separate file then chapter support is a plus for mkv.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

FamDav posted:

i just dont see why you would use mp4 over mkv ever

because it works on loving everything and not just on vlc and autism-boxes

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
"what do i need to install to play this mp4?" a question nobody has asked

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
nah, on linux the first time you double click on an mp4 it makes you pinky-swear that you have a license to play back mp4 and then when you click yes, it will automatically do a thing and then play the video.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Doc Block posted:

yeah, lemme just go and make this bluray into poo poo quality so i can store a hundred of them on my htpc

makemkv = 1:1 copy, hundred blu-rays ~ 2.5 TB. impossible to accomplish using modern technology.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

ahmeni posted:

is this the anti shake video thing like YouTube does? because I cannot unsee it and it makes me nauseous when watching things with it

it seems to be some sort of motion interpolation thing for making an artificial slow motion clip.

but the youtube anti shaking thing is loving hilarious. the best ones i've seen are from parades or something where there is some sort of uneven parallax motion across the whole frame. poo poo gets wobbly.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

the 3d in the hobbit was p. nice because at least peter jackson used it for subtle DOF poo poo and not just OMG poo poo FLYING AT YOU

The part where the dwarves were throwing those flaming pine cones was a really effective poo poo flying at you moment for me

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

pagancow posted:

• In .mp4 variable framerates that change

that's not a big deal, gifs have independent frame delays already.

speaking of video codecs that suck: webp, the image format that is based on webm, has animation support. at least there are tools that let you construct webp animations, but i don't know if any viewers support animated webp. apparently animated webp frame delays are expressed in ms instead of 1/100 of seconds, so you will be able to get closer to traditional frame rates than with gif.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
h.264 is so 2012. hevc is the new hotness.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
welp, webm infringes h.264 patents after all:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/03/07/google-admits-its-vp8webm-codec-infringes-mpeg-h264-patents

oh, and: "Mozilla and Opera initially also tried to prevent the use of H.264, but have since capitulated to support H.264 as a standard" i guess webm is completely dead then.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
well, maybe vp9 won't be a piece of poo poo and also actually won't infringe on patents.

i like the the idea of a good royalty free codec, but i'm also content if the current situation with h.264 gets repeated with hevc. everything using hevc codecs, but only commercial operations actually paying for it.

i guess anyone encoding h.264 right now should pay some licensing fee, but i think mpeg-la has been p. chill about it and not even trying to go after people making pony videos and lets plays, not to mention pirates.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Install Gentoo posted:

webm sucks because nothing hardware accelerates it

well that and also it is worse in every way compared to the one true codec and now we have learned that it's not even free.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
hey, how is 3d image saved on blu-ray?

i imagine the normal image data is either left or the right eye and then there is some extra track that maybe encodes the differences between the main picture and the other eye?

is there any software that can display (and change back and forth between) the other eye image for any given frame of a movie?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
can we talk about webp? because it seems webp is pretty ownage. it supports lossless and lossy compression, with alpha, and animation. and it seems to do each better than jpeg, png and gif. and google might be able to use their high browser market share to actually give the format some chance of making it.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Install Gentoo posted:

20% share isnt enough to push adoption

they already push them to chrome in their own services and if they do it in a non-retarded way (which is asking a lot of web "developers"), they use the Accept: header instead of User-Agent to detect who to push webp to

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

RZApublican posted:

the best they could do with it right now is to convince mozilla to bake webp support into firefox, and considering firefox has supported webm since like day one I'm kind of surprised this hasn't happened yet

hopefully the reason isn't because mozilla is hoping for animated png to catch on instead, because it won't

actually the problem with webp is that i think it is still evolving. nobody wants to implement an unfinished standard.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

pagancow posted:

That alone makes different formats for "picture" "graphic" "video" seem more viable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

pagancow posted:

reposted from pictures thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3uCV0JYMJ4

These always seem like cool things that people are researching but I never see them go into actual products.

for me it's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJtE8afwJEg

• Locked thread