Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pagancow posted:

in tyool 2013 there are only 2 video codecs you should be using:

• master aryan h.264 race

• vc-1 (lol shaggar)
everything else is poo poo

now video codecs don't sit alone, no siree, they have to be inside a container. If you have to ask :getout:

Here is my list of containers and analysis:
  • .asf - p good because it can only hold 2-3 video codecs and but it will be vc-1 unless its a one weird old experimental encode of the matrix cam rip. #2spooky

• .mp4 - p good because it can only hold 1 video codec, but apple does stupid poo poo like putting illegal streams like ac3 into it because lol standards. also stupid companies like happague like to make the framerates non interger like 4.33333333333333 so nothing really works right with those files.

• .avi - loooooooooooooooooooooooooool might as well be monkeys hitting skulls with bones

• .mov - its cool if you dont care what your video looks like or even plays back properly.

• .mkv - banned for animes

post the nerdiest codecs u got

looks like vc-1 wmv wins again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pagancow posted:

wins for worst image quality in a 2 man race basically

nah vc1 owns

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
transformers 2 was so bad. the first one owned tho

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cryin Burnigan posted:

when are we going to get film shot regularly at super high resolution and at high fps so that I can feel like I am watching the movie through my window and not like i am watching a movie. I basically want my tv to be recessed into my wall and then i can look through it into a world of magic movies that look real.

is there any good reason it has taken this long to get to 48fps which afik was just so that you had 24hz per eye besides the film industry being weird. Like is there a real benefit to lower FPS

i imagine its mostly cost. you need new production equipment, new methods for transmission, new playback devices, etc... to do 48fps. i mean theres only 1 theater near me that even does 48fps and that's cause its the newest one. as old gear is replaced it'll become more common. i don't think anyone is gonna run out and upgrade all their poo poo just for higher framerates when its not that important.

also wouldnt 48fps be 48hz/eye?

theres probably some magic the brain does at 24fps to fill in the gaps that makes it appealing, or maybe its just that we're used to it. idk. high framerate(48/60) stuff still isn't the same as real life. what we need is a framerate that's gonna bypass whatever it is in our brains that can distinguish video from reality.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if its gpl then its a super restrictive license that would prevent stable usage since 90% of your time would be spent dealing with autists complaining about how the bug fixes you're trying to give them don't match the autiformat 7.3.4 variable convention.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
GPL and nice things do not mix.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
mkv support requires a ton of headache all so you can court the anime pirate demographic.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
when hardware makers include a h264/vc1 decoder chip in they hardware, do they pay licenses on top of that or do the licenses come bundled with the chip?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
plex is an xmbc distro (aka bad)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
so do hardware makers have to pay for devices going to places where video codecs aren't patentable? cause I could see patent owners getting bitchy if devices got imported from commie land to the us without licenses being paid.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pagancow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuJSeT0T5tQ

can anybody see the difference? anybody? 3 people? lets try that again....

nobody cares about bideo just make it wookrk jeeeezzzz!!

lovely presentation but cool that it works.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the stuff w/ radagast was pretty bad.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
radagast was some harry potter poo poo. the goblin stuff would have probably been better if it was shorter (like most of it) and they used actors in real makeup instead of cgi overlays. the scenes with the orcs in lotr just look a lot better and the goblins should have been done the same way.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the imax 3d preview for the new star trek was probably the best 3d thing I've seen.

also why are they doing another superman remake and why is he a fisherman now instead of a farmer? idgi

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I trust jj to do it right

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
just use wmp, u autists. windows has all the codecs you need installed already.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pagancow posted:

qft unless you like keyboard controls.

wmp supports media keys

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Blackula69 posted:

i've done a bunch of tv production and I can't see green for poo poo

yeah but that's like, Canadian tv, right?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no I haven't heard of that

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pagancow posted:

Media player classic home cinema.

Built in decoders for stuff windows doesn't have (mpeg2) keyboard controls, hardware accelerated playback, minimal UI, color management if you profile your display.

Also takes less than 3 seconds to open.

Um. Windows has all the codecs u need (including mpeg2) built in.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pagancow posted:

woah, they put the mpeg-2 decoder in windows 7

didn't know

WMP still takes 10 seconds to open up, and there are no keyboard controls so its a bad player for playing videos.

no it doesn't. it opens instantly. also it has all the keyboard controls a normal human would need

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
get a real keyboard. or just do control+p

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idk. any pc keyboard from the last 10 years?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
real question: what are the encoding/decoding processing requirements for h265 gonna be like? is it gonna be ok in software on reg computers/smartphones or is it gonna need new chips?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pagancow posted:

when you rely on direct show, yes you can still be in codec hell.

only if you install dumb lovely codec packs like ffdshow or w/e. you don't need to install codec packs at all in windows.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Michael Bay owns unironically.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

gotta go fast

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the win 7 and xbox 360 decoders are the same or atleast the same codebase. they will both get the exact same problems with certain malformed files/streams.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
as long as you haven't installed any codec packs ur fine. win7 and Silverlight both have h264 decoders built in.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

pagancow posted:

Silverlight in windows packs it's own h.264 decoder for windows 7 instead of using the internal one?

iirc they did it for security reasons cause lol @ adding security to directshow. its probably the same decoder tho. altho maybe im thinking of IE

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
animes go "oh man time to download vlc and mpc and ccccp code pack and ffdshow and anime(mkv) splitter" and then they only ever use vlc which has all that built in and go "lol wmp doesn't even work!" cause they broke it with bad software.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yes people use the best os at home, idk why you find that surprising. altho u are apparently a Linux user downloading xXMPlayerXx from the unbnuntu app store.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
people have to download a working media player for osx. lol. wmp is ftw and comes w/ windows by default. maybe y'all should upgrade your oses.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the autisms that rule ~*TeH sCeNE*~ stuck w/ mkv for hd when they switched from avi to mp4 (which took way longer than it should have).

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
theres no need for subtitles if its English audio and if its not English audio it should have hard subs.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
only when the audio is English. otherwise they are correct.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
or do you like manually turning on subs and needing a special container for them?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

hard subs should only be used when they are for an alien language or some poo poo aint no one actually speak otherwise its retarded

like I said, anything other than English.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
probably not many if any. they don't have any real immediate need to go to h264 and most consumers probably don't care that much about video quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
moving to h264 would require new equipment and probably would happen at the same time as a docsis 3 migration (which should always be accompanied by an analog switch off).

you'd want docsis 3 anyways before h264 cause you probably cant get the bandwidth savings of h264 over mpeg2 w/out the smaller channel widths of docsis3

• Locked thread