Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Zhent posted:

I have about 16 hours of plane ride to amuse myself; currently I have IB3 and FFT to play through, and Ticket to Ride as a two player game. Anything else that can be recommended which does not require a network connection to start playing? I'm not sure if we will have wifi on the flight.

Any particular genre?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Zhent posted:

I have about 16 hours of plane ride to amuse myself; currently I have IB3 and FFT to play through, and Ticket to Ride as a two player game. Anything else that can be recommended which does not require a network connection to start playing? I'm not sure if we will have wifi on the flight.

Ascension base game is currently free. Works well playing against AI or pass and play. There's probably other board or card games that are good like that. Kairosoft games like game dev story etc are good time fillers. If you haven't played any of those I remember it consuming an entire weekend when I first got that one cause I got real into it.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
If you like FFT, you might like Ravenmark. It plays more like a cross between Fire Emblem and Advance Wars (fantasy themed, set team with no level-ups, rock-paper-scissors battle system). The story is heavy on the politics and all that stuff, though. The game is unforgiving, though, and you'll probably fail missions here and there if you're not a strategy pro (I'm not).

http://appshopper.com/search/?search=ravenmark

The prologue is free in the episodic version, and might be a nice change of pace on a plane ride. I haven't played mercenaries, but I'm pretty sure it's a multiplayer thing.

10000000 is probably the worst-named app on the store, but it's really fun. It's an RPG match-3 where you keep building up your dude in between runs. You win when you finally score 10,000,000 points. That takes a bunch of hours.

http://appshopper.com/games/10000000-2

If you haven't played Bastion and have an iPad, that's an amazing choice too. It runs on the iPhone, but I don't know how the experience is. Bring headphones; half the fun is the narrator.

http://appshopper.com/games/bastion-2

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 6, 2013

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Stumpus posted:

The description is kind of sparse on important details, like whether there is diplomacy, civ management, etc. what is the rest of the game like beyond the combat system?

Like I said, there aren't any other civilizations so there's no diplomacy or anything like that. It might be more appropriate to call it a 4X-inspired strategy/puzzle game, I guess, than a light 4X.

As far as civilization management goes, it's incredibly basic. You can have up to three cities at any given time, and each city produces food and materials (the generic resource used to build units and explore) based on the types of tiles around it. Your cities grow once they reach a food threshold, at which point you can either construct a new settler, spend resources to scout (which removes strife cards from your deck and reveals some tiles), choose a new city improvement, or take an influx of resources. You can only build three improvements per city and then that option is replaced by holding a feast that gives you victory points, but also generates strife. Ultimately you always end up abandoning your cities and placing them somewhere else, because the tiles they work become corrupted and useless over time.

I wouldn't recommend it if you want something that's just a 4X. It's a very light survival/score-based strategy game that uses 4X and deck building elements. I'm finding it to be a lot of fun, but you'll be disappointed if you go in expecting Civ-lite.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Get Kingturn. Make sure before your ride you try out the free missions a little bit to see if you like the feel and then get the $5 iap to unlock the full game. It's a good 15+ hours game.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Anyone have any suggestions on a loot based RPG-lite? I'm not looking for an engrossing storyline that I will remember for years, just something where I can beat monsters on the head while taking a dump, get levels, and get ever increasingly shiny armor and more glow-y swords.

Something like torchlight would be ideal.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Agricola

edit: Flight not RPG

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Well the Shadowrun music update didn't fix the crashing issues. Guess I'll be doing that matrix run again!

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Cyrano4747 posted:

Anyone have any suggestions on a loot based RPG-lite? I'm not looking for an engrossing storyline that I will remember for years, just something where I can beat monsters on the head while taking a dump, get levels, and get ever increasingly shiny armor and more glow-y swords.

On the scale of RPG-lites it's a lot lighter than Torchlight and you earn gold to spend in the store making your swords more glowy rather than straight-up loot, but I liked Spellsword more than I think is reasonable.

Edit: recent reviews indicate it has been turned into freemium ad-based garbage so this may be terrible advice.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

On the scale of RPG-lites it's a lot lighter than Torchlight and you earn gold to spend in the store making your swords more glowy rather than straight-up loot, but I liked Spellsword more than I think is reasonable.

Edit: recent reviews indicate it has been turned into freemium ad-based garbage so this may be terrible advice.

What was really wack about Spellsword was when they released a content update awhile ago where they essentially reset your character's items and unlocks after you had ground them out. Turned me off to that game.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Cyrano4747 posted:

Pocket RPG is pretty good, there's a separate iPad version.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Marvel Puzzle Quest: At least I managed to avoid getting a Venom card as a prize. Still, he's turning out surprisingly useful with cheap stun spam. And I'm now finding that people can have heroes that are knocked out still count as team spots, leading to hilariously easy wins in difficult fights when I come in and there's only one person on the enemy team standing.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Marvel Puzzle Quest: At least I managed to avoid getting a Venom card as a prize. Still, he's turning out surprisingly useful with cheap stun spam. And I'm now finding that people can have heroes that are knocked out still count as team spots, leading to hilariously easy wins in difficult fights when I come in and there's only one person on the enemy team standing.

In the chapter after venom's the venom comic books start dropping along with bag man (Spider-Man)

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Mozi posted:

Pocket RPG is pretty good, there's a separate iPad version.

Seconding this, Pocket RPG is exactly what you're looking for. It's also Rogue-ish in that each "campaign" starts over from level 1 but with some extra persistent cool stuff. Each play-though can vary quite a bit depending on whether you get a 15% lifesteal, fireball spewing sword or a sword that mind-controls enemies.

Three classes that all play extremely differently.

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice
Congrats nimblebit on the new game and becoming billionaires. Anxiously waiting a release date, as I do with all of your games.

Anyone pick up Dead Mans Draw? It starts out slow and a bit boring but amps up quickly. I can't stop playing it; reminds me of my drat Dungeon Raid addiction.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

SynthOrange posted:

I only just figured out you can slot in your own levelled Venom for the lame 3-level version, and this is the second Venom event I've seen so I figured it's worth at least having one.
Devour is useless at base level, but he's a decent purple matcher and a team of him, Juggernaut and Classic Spider-man would cover most colours while spamming out webs to swallow and headbutt dudes :allears:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

I only just figured out you can slot in your own levelled Venom for the lame 3-level version, and this is the second Venom event I've seen so I figured it's worth at least having one.
Devour is useless at base level, but he's a decent purple matcher and a team of him, Juggernaut and Classic Spider-man would cover most colours while spamming out webs to swallow and headbutt dudes :allears:

Spider-Man is blue and yellow right? Venom is black and purple. So Thor would be a better team mate. He is red yellow and green. His red is a better iron man and makes yellow tiles. His green is a team attack. And his yellow is a crazy high damage gently caress off (340 at level 5) and make green tiles.

You can unlock him in the chapter oscorp.

Edit: course I have just constantly gotten him from the 150gold recruit

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Oct 7, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Pity you cant put the same character on the team twice. Like Storm Modern and Storm Classic. The names on those two cards cause me no small amount of tears too, since the Modern costume is her original classic costume and the Classic costume is her 90s shoulderpad costume. My inner sperg, noooooo.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Anyone have any other advice for Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign other than level Iron Man?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Apocron posted:

Anyone have any other advice for Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign other than level Iron Man?

If you want you can cheese it but forwarding the clock on your iOS device a day. Free heals and daily rewards. I have seen 500 iso, 100 gold, and iron man comics as daily rewards.

Other than that do venom's chapter first. The first fight has 2 guest so you don't need to be a high level. Then the lower path lets you unlock storm classic. She is crazy good and I don't think I could be a pyro fight without her.

Seriously gently caress pyros forever. They deal more damage than bosses and they spam that loving attack constantly.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Oct 7, 2013

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

e: ^^^ wait, you guys are getting daily login rewards??

Shwqa posted:

Spider-Man is blue and yellow right? Venom is black and purple. So Thor would be a better team mate. He is red yellow and green. His red is a better iron man and makes yellow tiles. His green is a team attack. And his yellow is a crazy high damage gently caress off (340 at level 5) and make green tiles.

You can unlock him in the chapter oscorp.
Thor is a pretty good team member for basically any team because he's a self-sufficient badass. I just really like Juggernaut but his Headbutt desperately requires a strong healer, which Classic Spider-man can provide in synergy with Venom.

I just clicked Versus to see if I could find a Thor to compare the Headbutt damage to - the only one I can challenge is some level 33 monstrosity :stare:

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

Thor is a pretty good team member for basically any team because he's a self-sufficient badass. I just really like Juggernaut but his Headbutt desperately requires a strong healer, which Classic Spider-man can provide in synergy with Venom.

I just clicked Versus to see if I could find a Thor to compare the Headbutt damage to - the only one I can challenge is some level 33 monstrosity :stare:

I just got my Thor to level 6

His red does 180 damage and makes 5 yellow tiles for 10ap. At skill level 5 is cost 1 less ap
His yellow does 360 damage and makes 5 green tiles for 15 ap. at skill level 5 cost 1 less ap.
His green does 180 damage to a target and 90 to the other enemies for 17 ap. at skill level 5 cost 1 less ap.

I only get log in when I move my timer ahead, not if I just let 24 hours go by normally.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Huh, must be a 'come back and play with us!' incentive or something?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Huh, must be a 'come back and play with us!' incentive or something?

Maybe but I only go 24 hours at a time, because gently caress the recovery system. Later stages the enemies deal 200+ damage to your entire team every few turns. I'm not waiting 2 1/2 hours in between each fight.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Shwqa posted:

I just got my Thor to level 6

His red does 180 damage and makes 5 yellow tiles for 10ap. At skill level 5 is cost 1 less ap
So close to Juggernaut who's dealing 180 at level 5 for 10 ap with the same discount but instead of setting up the rest of his attacks takes 50% of the damage dealt because nothing can stop the Juggernaut from killing himself

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Wide Sky:

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Took the one starting with KFH. Thanks!

R2Brew
Oct 15, 2006

Got Sedin?
Took YFK4M6YFAL4W. Thanks!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Took the first code. Thanks!

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003
The codes were all taken I think.

uh zip zoom
May 28, 2003

Sensitive Thugs Need Hugs

So I was playing Game of War today, correcting phrases for the translator and this little :psyduck: of a gem popped up:

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Spell the numbers if it's under 10; write the numbers of it's over 10. :eng101:

Bummey fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 8, 2013

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Er, is there a tutorial of any kind for Marvel Puzzle Quest? Cos it just dropped me in a fight with doctor doom and loving numbers were coming from all over the place. I get the obvious match-3 mechanic, but what the hell is going on with the rest of it? What are the colours / special moves all about? Does it explain things if I keep playing?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

bubbapook posted:

Er, is there a tutorial of any kind for Marvel Puzzle Quest? Cos it just dropped me in a fight with doctor doom and loving numbers were coming from all over the place. I get the obvious match-3 mechanic, but what the hell is going on with the rest of it? What are the colours / special moves all about? Does it explain things if I keep playing?

Yeah they explain as it goes along, but...

Colors deal damage based on your team members. The team member with the highest damage will take the front spot and deal that damage. So my high level iron man deal 10 damage with red, So when I match 3 red he deals 30 damage.

All special moves need ap. Matching orbs gets you said. So if you match 3 red orbs, you get 3 red ap. Iron man need 10 ap to use his cannon so you need to match at least 10 orbs.

Certain moves put modifiers on orbs. Iron man can put a shield, which lower damage taken, on 4 orbs with his yellow move. As long as you DON'T match them and they are on the table they will stay in effect. Enemies can make them too, so aim to destroy their modifiers and protect your's.

Matching 4 destroy a row or column of orbs depending on which way it faces. You gain all the ap of the destroyed tiles.

Matching 5 destroys a row or column, then makes a critical tile, and then gives you a extra turn.

Critical tile increase damage you deal greatly (10x?). I don't think they increase ap gain.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 8, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just kick Doom's rear end! Tap on your dudes and you can get information on what powers they have and what it takes to use them. i.e. Iron Man has a special attack that takes 10 red tiles to use, so if you've matched up at least 10 of them, you get to tap a red tile and use the attack. Doom gets the same thing on his turn. Basic matches do small amounts of damage.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Wait, I thought comic book Nick Fury was an old white guy. When did he turn into Sam Jackson? Or is that just for the game?

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

PFlats posted:

Wait, I thought comic book Nick Fury was an old white guy. When did he turn into Sam Jackson? Or is that just for the game?

Samuel L Jackson has played him in all the recent Marvel movies, hence that version is being used. I don;t think they changed it in comics, but I haven't really followed them for years, maybe they retconned it?

editVVVVVVV interesting.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Underwhelmed posted:

Samuel L Jackson has played him in all the recent Marvel movies.

Actually, if I recall correctly, the artist of the latest Avengers reboot wanted to have Samuel L Jackson play him in a movie adaptation, so he based the comic boom Fury off of Jackson before Jackson was even cast.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

PFlats posted:

Yeah it is a really good idea to have conflicting images of nick fury for a huge market of freemium games and movies. Marvel definitely won't want to do any sort of branding...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkstar Deluxe
May 7, 2007

「☆☆☆」

Teddybear posted:

Actually, if I recall correctly, the artist of the latest Avengers reboot wanted to have Samuel L Jackson play him in a movie adaptation, so he based the comic boom Fury off of Jackson before Jackson was even cast.

This was also before Samuel L. Jackson was even cast in any of the Marvel movies IIRC

• Locked thread