Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
My wife is a big crossword fan but has yet to find an app on her iPhone that she likes. And we don't mind spending a few dollars, but we are trying to avoid subscription based or package of crossword based apps. So something decently cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
In Marvel PQ I'm wondering how long I should save up my ISO-8 before leveling up heroes?

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
I cannot wait for Gabriel Knight.

HELMACRON'S HOTLY ANTICIPATED GAMES LIST HE WILL BUY AS SOON AS THEY'RE RELEASED

Space Hulk
I loved this game on Amiga, way back when, when it was a four screen first person dungeon scroller, like Eye of the Beholder, but more complicated and I never won. But I loved it all the same, playing it late at night, the inverter humming as it pulled power from the old car battery, the corrugated tin roof ticking away as it cooled down. My dad bought it for me, or pirated it, I can't remember, because he thought I was a smart kid, and wise enough to play a strategy game set in an abandoned space hulk. He was wrong, bless him.

Rayman Fiesta Run
I played the poo poo out of the first game on my iPhone in a hostel in Melbourne, waiting for a call from a mining company. It just played great. It's one of those games where if you were backed into a corner and had to say something bad about it, you'd be all like "well, it's not as great as morning sex". But you wouldn't mean it.

Assassin's Creed: Pirates
It looks cool, 'kay? Like Pirates! Gold but with a plot and beautiful graphics and, like, swashbuckley. And just no lovely dancing parts. Why, Sid Meier, why the dancing game? I've never won it in any of it's iterations, I hate it. I hate the dancing game. It's like it was designed to tell me I'm going to die alone. Yay, I'm a pirate, then pow, I can't dance and I'm rejected by the governor's daughter. gently caress you, Sid, and why don't you remake Sword of the Samurai? Huh? You got too much money? gently caress you.

The Room 2
Spooky problem solving. I played and finished the first one on an overnight mail train in Sri Lanka with an old man sleeping on me (god he was wrinkly, he was like those photos you see of old villagers where you're not certain you're looking at an aerial map at first. Like his face should have "©2013 DigitalGlobe when you zoom in so you can't screenshot it without it's copyright info) and I like to go back to it and give it another whirl every now and then. I wasn't worried, but I was like, concerned if they could keep it up, you know. What if they peaked?! But then they added that Epilogue Update and it was pretty drat masterful, so I've got really really high hopes for the next one.

FTL
I read an article about how it was the greatest rogue-like ever, and I was all piqued, you know, and told a kid that was hanging out in this hostel to get it. So he did. It was horrible. He kept giving me updates, constant updates, rushing to find me when something happened and sitting next to me, telling me all about it. Oh, these monsters, where did they come from? Oh, my guys are running out of air! And so on. He even woke me up, like here I am, top bunk, he wakes me up at 0400 or something crazy to tell me he got a new ship. Then he got this girlfriend, little chinese girl who I like to think didn't know any better, and he stopped bothering me, but he kept playing it when he was with her. He would sit in the common room with her and his laptop and just violently tongue snog her, slapping wet noises and just sheer moist teeth on teeth lip cracking ugliness and keep playing FTL inbetween bouts.
So you know, I'll get it when it comes out.

Paper's Please
I played this briefly on my friend's computer. I am forever enraptured by the very scenario of this guy coming back every second day with a slightly better set of papers, like the first day he has nothing, then the third day he had a hand drawn passport, and he was really good natured about being turned away. I'm going to buy it just because I think of that whenever I see my passport now. Such a great story and it seemed like a total non-thing in the game. I didn't keep playing but I assume he turns up with a perfect set of papers and I get to let him in some day. Glee!

Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
Played the first one, finished it, never played the rest but I loved the first one. Dark plot, horrible things happen, and it was a Sierra game. God, Sierra was great. Also there was a series of books published. Entirely forgettable but I really remember loving all of it. I'm not talking this up. This was on the top of the list, but I've moved it to the bottom because I'm not so sure anymore. EDIT: Maybe I won't buy this immediately. I'm going to move it a couple spaces further down, just to make it clear that I'm like, a little offshop on it.

Helmacron fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 9, 2013

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Duckman2008 posted:

My wife is a big crossword fan but has yet to find an app on her iPhone that she likes. And we don't mind spending a few dollars, but we are trying to avoid subscription based or package of crossword based apps. So something decently cheap.

Well, for crossword-like stuff, though I'm loathe to suggest it, Crickler is decent though I haven't gone back to it since it started running like poo poo and VideoGameVet was doing driveby threadshits advertising it. There's also 7 Little Words, which has a lot of free content and free daily stuff for it.

nonedit: ^^^ is this an actual list of stuff coming out or are you just loving with my feelings

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Apocron posted:

In Marvel PQ I'm wondering how long I should save up my ISO-8 before leveling up heroes?

Iron man is always worth leveling, so go nuts on him.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.
I'm pretty excited for Space Hulk too, but the PC release is not getting very good reviews :ohdear:

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Shwqa posted:

Iron man is always worth leveling, so go nuts on him.

Should I bother with Black widow, hawkeye or storm modern?

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Helmacron posted:

HELMACRON'S HOTLY ANTICIPATED GAMES LIST HE WILL BUY AS SOON AS THEY'RE RELEASED

Space Hulk
I loved this game on Amiga, way back when, when it was a four screen first person dungeon scroller, like Eye of the Beholder, but more complicated and I never won. But I loved it all the same, playing it late at night, the inverter humming as it pulled power from the old car battery, the corrugated tin roof ticking away as it cooled down. My dad bought it for me, or pirated it, I can't remember, because he thought I was a smart kid, and wise enough to play a strategy game set in an abandoned space hulk. He was wrong, bless him.

Rayman Fiesta Run
I played the poo poo out of the first game on my iPhone in a hostel in Melbourne, waiting for a call from a mining company. It just played great. It's one of those games where if you were backed into a corner and had to say something bad about it, you'd be all like "well, it's not as great as morning sex". But you wouldn't mean it.

Assassin's Creed: Pirates
It looks cool, 'kay? Like Pirates! Gold but with a plot and beautiful graphics and, like, swashbuckley. And just no lovely dancing parts. Why, Sid Meier, why the dancing game? I've never won it in any of it's iterations, I hate it. I hate the dancing game. It's like it was designed to tell me I'm going to die alone. Yay, I'm a pirate, then pow, I can't dance and I'm rejected by the governor's daughter. gently caress you, Sid, and why don't you remake Sword of the Samurai? Huh? You got too much money? gently caress you.

The Room 2
Spooky problem solving. I played and finished the first one on an overnight mail train in Sri Lanka with an old man sleeping on me (god he was wrinkly, he was like those photos you see of old villagers where you're not certain you're looking at an aerial map at first. Like his face should have "©2013 DigitalGlobe when you zoom in so you can't screenshot it without it's copyright info) and I like to go back to it and give it another whirl every now and then. I wasn't worried, but I was like, concerned if they could keep it up, you know. What if they peaked?! But then they added that Epilogue Update and it was pretty drat masterful, so I've got really really high hopes for the next one.

Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
Played the first one, finished it, never played the rest but I loved the first one. Dark plot, horrible things happen, and it was a Sierra game. God, Sierra was great. Also there was a series of books published. Entirely forgettable but I really remember loving all of it. I'm not talking this up. This was on the top of the list, but I've moved it to the bottom because I'm not so sure anymore. EDIT: Maybe I won't buy this immediately. I'm going to move it a couple spaces further down, just to make it clear that I'm like, a little offshop on it.

Do you write reviews? I want you to write reviews.

Also, I've heard not-so-promising things about Space Hulk but it's still gonna be a day one buy for me unless it's stupid costly.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Duckman2008 posted:

The only crossword app I've found worth a drat is the New York Times crossword app, which-- as you've noted-- is subscription based. It's much cheaper than a NY Times subscription or signing up for the crossword online separately, though. The app itself is pretty smooth, I've no complaints.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Helmacron posted:

Space Hulk

The new Space Hulk isn't looking so hot. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/16/wot-i-think-space-hulk/ :(

Too bad all that poo poo is going to suck on an iPhone, e: but will be good on an iPad. Papers, Please, and FTL would be fantastic and the controls would work well with a touch screen if done properly.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 9, 2013

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Duckman2008 posted:

I got this, https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/crosswords-classic/id284036524?mt=8 a long time ago and still think it was worth every one of the 999 pennies I spent.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Apocron posted:

I use Storm Modern and quite like her. Hawkeye is great at removing enemy special tiles but shares two colours with Iron Man without being as tough or as strong as him. Black Widow is probably a great PvP denier but she has extremely low health and no direct damage so I sold her.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
I reinstalled Space Miner yesterday. It's still very good, such a shame there aren't more games like it.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Apocron posted:

I did level modern storm and regretted it. She doesn't scale very well and storm classic outclasses her in every way. And you can't use them at the same time.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

So the chipotle's game is a just 4 silly little mini games. but its not terrible and its free. I also like the art style a lot. The best part is you get a buy one get one free burrito coupon after about a minute of play :getin:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chipotle-scarecrow/id689470205?mt=8

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Is the progression of heroes you unlock in the story set. So I will always unlock storm, hawkeye, blackwidow etc. Does it become random at some point?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Apocron posted:

Is the progression of heroes you unlock in the story set. So I will always unlock storm, hawkeye, blackwidow etc. Does it become random at some point?

They are set rewards.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

duckfarts posted:

nonedit: ^^^ is this an actual list of stuff coming out or are you just loving with my feelings

FTL is unfortunately a "We're looking into it", but the rest are legit afaik.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Hey, remember how loving awesome Year Walk was? As in, top 5 games released this year on any platform? Well the devs Simogo are following that up with a game called Device 6 and it comes out next week on the 17th. Buying it on the strength of the pedigree alone.

Have a loving trailer too: https://www.youtube.com/embed/hdnjXQL6Muk

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world

Gann Jerrod posted:

FTL is unfortunately a "We're looking into it", but the rest are legit afaik.

It's been revamped to "coming out for tablets unless there's a massive hiccup in the development process which there won't be but don't be too pumped, we don't want to ever be the names behind vapourware but it's coming out".

Actually, I found the quote: "We are working on a tablet version and are pretty optimistic about it working out."

Parkingtigers posted:

...Device 6...

And Device 6! I have to say, though, because I loved Beat Sneak Bandit and Year Walk so much, I went and bought their (Simogo's) back catalogue and yeah, not the biggest fan. They seem like good ideas, but nothing grabs me, a lot like Lucky Frame's entire catalogue. For me, anyway. However, Beat Sneak Bandit means I'll probably snap up everything they make from now on.

Helmacron fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Oct 9, 2013

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

Bummey posted:

The new Space Hulk isn't looking so hot. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/08/16/wot-i-think-space-hulk/ :(

Too bad all that poo poo is going to suck on an iPhone. Papers, Please, and FTL would be fantastic and the controls would work well with a touch screen if done properly.

That Space Hulk review is godawful. Is there an early review of it somewhere that wasn't written by a GW grognard who complains about a video game being *gasp* animated?

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Space Hulk has seen a couple of patches since that review (which was written a couple of days after release) and almost all of the terrible bugs have been weeded out. The couple of design aspects he points out (like not having a guy on a timpani pop up when a genestealer charges a terminator on overwatch, or being unable to laugh in the face of your opponent when playing online multiplayer) are still there but they added an animation speed control and things like failing missions you completed and terminators walking into blackness are gone. Seems to be pretty solid now

No idea when it's due on ios but I'm betting they were holding off until they ironed out the bugs. The new patch hit a couple of days ago, so hopefully we'll get an update on an ios release soon.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Sad lions posted:

Do you write reviews? I want you to write reviews.

Also, I've heard not-so-promising things about Space Hulk but it's still gonna be a day one buy for me unless it's stupid costly.

Yeah Helmacron do you write for anyone, or have a blog or something? You're pretty crazy but your writing kinda owns. [e. not that crazy is bad, sorry to imply it was]

And I'm glad I never heard of Space Hulk before it came out on PC because the collective disappointment from every nerd reviewer was heartbreaking.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

Really digging Agricola. I haven't played the board game, so it took a few games before I started really getting into a rhythm. It's probably much better on iPad because it's cramped on the phone, but still very playable. It also gets frustrating (especially early on) because every move does matter quite a bit, so you get 10 rounds into a 14-round game and realize that you've hosed up one placement and it's pretty much game over. Still, once you are familiar enough to plan ahead, it's a very fun game.

Welcome to the Dark Side :colbert:
European board games ITT. Wait until your girlfriend is one of the other players and she won't speak to you for days if you swipe the giant pile of reeds she was eyeing for the last 2 rounds because you have a card that synergizes with the basketry shop.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Is anyone else having crash issues with the last Pixel People patch, v1.53? I haven't been able to boot up the game since then and want to know I'm not alone. :( I like this stupid game and it's my go-to when I need to unwind.

Gotta say, the LambdaMu support team have been really great though. They've been keeping me updated on their progress fixing the issue, and asking me for details to help isolate it. If I get back up and running I might have to buy an IAP or something.

SodomizeTheWeak
Apr 20, 2002
I'm going to miss that banana popsicle.
Just loaded it up on my jailbroken iPad running 6.1 to test. Haven't loaded it up in months, 1.53.2 is installed, runs like a dream. No problems that I can find.

Walrus Truck
Nov 6, 2010

I bought The Cave, and like another poster said, it would be a near-perfect game if it weren't for the awful controls. It's easy to get a hang of using three characters, (although switching between them may get tedious), but executing small movements that would've been a cinch with a keyboard or d-pad is a pain in the rear.

To anyone else who has The Cave: I'm stuck in one of the earlier puzzles, and I can't figure out how to throw an item. Double tapping just makes me drop the item in front of me. What do I do?

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
Can someone post a couple good teams for marvel PQ?

Those lieutenants that constantly heal (paired with snipers) are crushing me.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

deadly_pudding posted:

Welcome to the Dark Side :colbert:
European board games ITT. Wait until your girlfriend is one of the other players and she won't speak to you for days if you swipe the giant pile of reeds she was eyeing for the last 2 rounds because you have a card that synergizes with the basketry shop.

gently caress that, wait til you do it when you DON'T have any cards that synergize with the basketry & are just doing it so she won't get them. THEN tell me how that works out for you.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Walrus Truck posted:

I bought The Cave, and like another poster said, it would be a near-perfect game if it weren't for the awful controls. It's easy to get a hang of using three characters, (although switching between them may get tedious), but executing small movements that would've been a cinch with a keyboard or d-pad is a pain in the rear.

To anyone else who has The Cave: I'm stuck in one of the earlier puzzles, and I can't figure out how to throw an item. Double tapping just makes me drop the item in front of me. What do I do?

Throw? If it's supposed to be placed on something a distance away you just need to tap the right spot on the destination. It's not always amazingly clear where that is though.

I had a hell of a time with the Monk thanks to that. If you jump with one item, it vanishes, yet the destination for it is raised from the ground so unless you poke the exact spot at the exact height you launch yourself into the air and lose it again.

Yet somehow the worst example of the controls I've found is when the camera pans away from your character towards an important dead end leaving you with only a sliver of screen to touch to slowly edge your character out of there due to needing to touch at your destination.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Just got prompted to update Marvel Puzzle Quest from the preview version to Semicolon: Dark Reign.

edit: actually the title screen still says preview edition

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 9, 2013

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

AHHH!! AHHH!!! AHHH!!!!!

Final Fantasy VI coming this winter to iOS and Android!
Sweet. I skipped the iOS ports of 4 and 5, but there's no way I'm passing up 6. Article hints that VII could come, but I think that's just a "yeah, that'd be a nice idea" kinda thing.

http://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-vi-is-coming-to-ios-and-android-vii-coul-1443087791

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

JazzFlight posted:

AHHH!! AHHH!!! AHHH!!!!!

Sweet. I skipped the iOS ports of 4 and 5, but there's no way I'm passing up 6. Article hints that VII could come, but I think that's just a "yeah, that'd be a nice idea" kinda thing.

http://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-vi-is-coming-to-ios-and-android-vii-coul-1443087791

Insanely excited by this :neckbeard:

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

JazzFlight posted:

Article hints that VII could come, but I think that's just a "yeah, that'd be a nice idea" kinda thing.

It's standard S-E policy to say things like this when asked about FF7, a new Chrono game, or anything else fans actually want. "Buy the current release, then we'll consider it!" The carrot is starting to rot on the stick.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
If the price is reasonable, I would totally get it. Sounds like it won't have the extra content that the GBA version had?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

JazzFlight posted:

AHHH!! AHHH!!! AHHH!!!!!

quote:

The graphics, he said, will be refined for cellphones. They'll still be 2D but sharpened, a la the recent mobile release of V.

Curb your enthusiasm.

I don't know how anyone thinks this looks good. (The re-drawn enemy sprites are actually nice, as are the hi-res tiles.)

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

PFlats posted:

Curb your enthusiasm.

I don't know how anyone thinks this looks good.
I don't mind it. :shrug:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Anyone else getting a 70's spy-thriller vibe from this a la Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy or even Get Smart?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

PFlats posted:

Curb your enthusiasm.

I don't know how anyone thinks this looks good. (The re-drawn enemy sprites are actually nice, as are the hi-res tiles.)

I think it looks like the classic SNES games I used to play as a kid. :shrug:

A faithful port is VI with some of the improvements from the recent V port (auto battle for one) I'll be very happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Finally, a native release of FFVI for RPG-Maker.

• Locked thread