Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008

Minus1Minus1 posted:

I hate to bring more PAD-related chat to the thread, but...

I must have installed and tried PAD 3 times, each time finding it bloated and inaccessible. I tried Battle Camp and Puzzle Troopers, not even realizing until playing that they were clones of PAD. At any rate, they didn't hook me.

Finally, yesterday I downloaded Dragon Era (the slots-based PAD-like,) and suddenly all the mechanics clicked. I played it for awhile, redownloaded Battle Camp, and gave that another spin. Sure enough, now I'm enjoying it.

But it looks like there's like a half-dozen of these games with just slight variations. I'm hoping some people in the thread might speak to their favorites. Why Battle Camp over PAD (or PAD over Battle Camp) for instance? Are there any games like this that have kind of gone unnoticed?

PAD has IAP that is much less obnoxious. You're never prompted to buy anything, and can progress through the entire game without spending a dime (assuming you roll a good starter- check the PAD thread for a guide). The game gives you a lot of IAP currency at regular intervals, just for logging in.

Battle camp prompts you for IAP every chance it gets. The evolution mechanics are built to basically halt progress unless you buy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008
I've had my Ipad for ~2 months, and I've been trying to find more "must haves".

Found some cool games from this thread and the top rated games on toucharcade, but still looking for some more.

My most played/favorite games are:

PAD
Pocket Trains
Puzzle Craft
Bad Piggies

Any suggestions?

Pocket RPG looks pretty cool, might have to pick that up!

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008

Sad lions posted:

Are you mostly into 'game' games or is the artsy fartsy in the running too?

Probably lean more towards "game" games, but i'd be willing to try whatever!

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008
Anyone played Monster adventures? http://appshopper.com/games/monster-adventures

It's gotten reasonable reviews from what I've seen, but still a bit hesitant to pull the trigger.

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008

Stormfang1502 posted:

Exactly. Use your first monster to farm essences and then specialize the 2nd monsters stats with the essences you farm. Stat growth on level up is affected by the essences your monster is equipped with so applying some rare essences on a lvl 1 monster will drastically increase growth.

Yeah, this seems like a solid strategy to me.

It also seems important to get 4 essences equipped on your first guy ASAP. Preferably ones with reasonable growth, since those extra stats on level up are delicious.

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008

Gegil posted:

There is a skill that lets you earn XP per kill. I average 1100xp for clearing levels 1 and 2 of the meadows or a level in about 8 minutes of work.

What skill is this?

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Looked through the last few pages and didn't see anything about Angry Birds Go, it looks to be a solid cart racer with flag rest graphics and mechanics but a lot of IAP. Anyone have opinions if it's worth my time?

I've been thoroughly unimpressed.

There isn't much variety/skill to the races imo. Reports on other forums suggest you need to grind a ton after the early areas to get any new upgrades.

EDIT: Forgot to mention there is a stamina system too. 20 minutes to recharge, max 5.

ImsaKidd fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 12, 2013

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008
Surprised Fiz hasn't been mentioned yet. Just bought it today and I'm having a blast with it:

http://appshopper.com/games/fiz-the-brewery-management-game

It's a beer making game. You make beer, and sell it so you can make better beer, get new equipment, and better beer-makers.

While it technically has timers (a batch of beer takes ~30 seconds to brew), there is absolutely 0 IAP.

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008

Roobsa posted:

I seem to blow money left right and center far too easily. It took me way too long to get the first 10k banked. A lot of my recipes come back as a loss as well. I suck at this game. :(

I just find a recipe/price/location that makes a good profit and spam the hell out of it. Researching the beer types that sell well at a location is pretty key too.

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008
Haven't seen Bardbarian mentioned yet: http://appshopper.com/games/bardbarian

It's super fun. Rockin tunes, great gameplay/controls, reasonably priced IAP (the coin doubler is $.99, but they are pretty generous with currency).

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008
Definitely liking another case solved, though I haven't made it to Chapter 2 yet. The added minigames on top of the puzzlecraft-ish play is really cool.

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008
One question/gripe about Block Legends: When you're not fighting, there's no downside to mashing matches. When you fight, you have X turns before the enemy attacks, so you can take forever to plot your matches. Am I understanding that correct?

Sort of annoying to me, I'd prefer both to be either turn or clock timed.

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008

RoboCicero posted:

Got Gepetto, who is still 4 star but adds 50 to my maximum link :v: I do feel like there's probably a very rough tier list already with rerolls, with the top being the 5* guys on offer (40% bonus to one element, Orb change active), then the more generic leaders (attack and attribute bonus), then the subs that are kind of there for utility rather than mono-element buffing (Gepetto, Big Bad Wolf), and then lastly the 3* guys who offer nothing much other than element resistance. There are the guys who offer 50% attack bonus to [Alignment] when over 50% HP, but it's such a goofy bonus I'm not sure if you're served carrying them around. It's definitely one of the higher multipliers in the game but I don't really know where the chaos/neutral/law split goes.

I also pulled a dark element fairy who is level 1, can't evolve, and only has one active skill. I guess she's intended as skill-up fodder?

My ID is Bi2noXIwuQ and I used the referral code above me.

Under you, my code is

hWFuhkl0Nr (0 = zero)

Also pulled geppetto, weird.

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008
Added goons from last page for Sky Force- my Game Center is Imsakidd if anyone wants to add me.

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008

cname posted:

What was everyone's breaking point in Trials Frontier? Not so much "at what point in the game" but more "What were the conditions? What were you supposed to do to complete the mission that made you quit the game?"

The only thing I can't stand is how they updated the slot machine, where two - symbols don't equal blank, anymore. You get 2 - symbols in a spin and it makes you earn gold, in order to spin again. So basically, two - symbols used to mean you'd just have to complete the level. Now it's like "WOAH HO HO! You're not gettin off that easy! You gotta get gold, with the shittiest bike, now!

It's kinda bullshit for me, right now. I'm still hangin in there, even though I just beat a mission where I had to grind 5 level 1 springs to fuse together in order to make a level 3 spring. (So far, I haven't unlocked any tracks that reward you with level 2 or 3 springs.)

Grinding probably won't cause me to quit, but if it ever gets to a point where the AI racer is 3x as good as you and impossible to beat without full upgrades, I'll probably throw in the towel.

My breaking point was the 3rd quest in a row that required rank 4 parts.

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008

Shwqa posted:

Monster hunter doesn't support Ipad 2. I'm obsolete :negative:

Is it not optimized, or it doesn't work at all on Ipad 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008

ChocNitty posted:

Here's my backlog of games I paid good cheeseburger money for, that I haven't played yet:

Battleheart Legacy
The Room 2
Infinity Blade 2
Wayward Souls
San Andreas
Kotor
Bad Piggies
Rayman Jungle Run
Lego Batman
Max Payne
Sid Meier's Pirates!
Gesundheit HD
NOVA 3
ORC: Vengeance
Modern Combat 4
Bastion
World of Goo
Wildblood
Monkey Island 2
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney
Scribblenauts
Sky Gamblers: Storm Raiders
Starfront Collision
Grand Prix Story
Superbrothers

I'm stuck on the same 3 games. Monster Hunter, Zynga Poker, and Words With Friends.

Bad Piggies and World of Goo are my favorites from this list.

• Locked thread