Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

dflanny posted:

Remember, before the Ashes we have 4(?) tests in India. If Johnson is terrible in those tests, and guys like Pattinson regain their fitness, Johnson might not make it to the Ashes.

We can only hope.

We shouldn't be taking him to India though. We should be taking new talent that we can season on the India tour and then use to gently caress England (I really enjoyed that OP).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Just got back from the Hobart/Perth game at Bellerieve. Marcus North tried to switch hit twice, hosed both shots up and then got out cheaply playing a conventional shot.

Remember, Ausgoons: no matter how bad off we are now, we could still have that munt in our team.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Lionel RichTea posted:

Counterpoint: you still have Mitchell Johnson in your team

At least he's good at being a oval office and hurting people (including Australian supporters :()

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I like Clarke, Cowan (he needs to chill a bit but he's got a heap of potential), most of the bowling lineup except that cuntface MiJo. They need to drop Wade and exorcise Haddin's ghost and call up Tim Paine.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Mister Chief posted:

Cowan wrote a book didn't he? I think I heard some people say it was pretty good since it is actually written by a cricketer and not just ghost written or whatever.

Warwick Todd wrote some crackers.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

You Am I posted:

I guess a good thing that has come out of the this test is that Vodofone are no longer sponsoring Australian Cricket. At loving last.

Thank god. I hate Vodafone with every fibre of my being.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Cat Terrist posted:

Not exactly sure how Ch10 could be short of money when they have Gina the Hutt bankrolling them. Unlike other billionaires, most her wealth is liquid and very real, rather than debt financed against a nominal share value.

They're short of money because literally everything they did in 2012 backfired and turned to poo poo.

I hope Channel 9 keep the cricket, partly because I think Ch10 would gently caress it up worse and partly because I'm set in my ways and the cricket's been on 9/WIN/TAS TV my entire life.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Scylo posted:

This could mean that this could be a potential ashes team.

Warner
Cowan
Hughes
Watson
Clarke (c)
Haddin (vc)
Wade
Starc
Siddle
Lyon
Bird

That would be the best series, even better if Johnson was in.

This seems likely.

Warner and Cowan, I'd contest, are still good openers that should hopefully get some more seasoning in their roles after playing in India.
Watson is of course pretty hit and miss, but if he's fit for the Ashes maybe he'll get back into another bout of getting out in the 90s, which I'd be OK with.
Clarke is very solid.
Haddin is a oval office and should be replaced with Tim Paine. He's the only one on this list I really take issue with.
Wade should also be replaced, ideally by an up-and-comer from the state comp. Paine would be fine behind the wickets. With that said, he's done OK against SL. It'll be interesting to see how he handles India at home.
In terms of bowling attacks, I can think of worse options that Starc/Siddle/Lyon/Bird. Throw in Hilfy and Cummins if he's fit in time and that's a solid side.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

Im imagining David Warner opening the batting on an overcast day at headingley and him just not knowing what the gently caress.

6 6 4 . . 6

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

That's some excellent cricket kid work.

When I was at the Hobart/Perth game last week, some kid waited for ages until the camera got onto him during one of those dancing segments and then held up two Hurricanes-branded '6' signs with one upside down. 69! At the cricket!

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Tony Inchpractice posted:

I just saw the people dressed up for the "$1000 for the best costume" contest and all I can think is with the 37 degree heat and the full body costumes the winner will probably be the one still alive at the end of the Australian innings.

They just showed a shot of a dude dressed as Batman and now Mark Nicholas has a boner for Catwoman.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

RideTheSpiral posted:

Does Australia not like Cricket now, or what?

ODI's just don't have the passion or intensity of T20 cricket aka the game they play in heaven.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Hyperriker posted:

:lol:

gently caress

At least Braddin's out. I heard on the radio this morning that MiJo was a chance of being injured as well. With a bit of luck he'll push it in the next game and break his leg or something.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Applecross WC. posted:

No one has even made double figures and it doesn't look like that will happen either.

Got this from cricinfo...

"Countries which have never been in a worse situation than 8/38 include Scotland, USA, Bangladesh, Kenya, Bermuda, Afghanistan and Ireland."

None of those countries had to worry about thehappyprince waking up and looking at Cricinfo. :(

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Frogmanv2 posted:

Dunno how much I trust it, but yeah, more info.

Sounds plausible, but gently caress whoever wrote that for using the retarded nek minit meme.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Hyperriker posted:

Someone put a hit out on Johnson before it's too late

...It's too late :(

What's his body count now? It's gotta be approaching double figures in this summer alone.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Mister Chief posted:

He has a nasty case of Delhi belly.

(Much to the amusement of all the lads)

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Guys they found David Warner's homework.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Hyperriker posted:

He doesn't know what bowlers are

Just tonk em mate

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I found a present for you, thread.

http://bit.ly/14VgHwj

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

EMC posted:

Australia need to get to around 410 so I win the spot betting pool at work

2 runs short. Ouch.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Ah, Fat Cozzie. Tasmania's next fat export. Not since the days of Davids Boon and Foster have we created such corpulent sporting magnificence.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Doctor Cave posted:

Paine played a really mature innings as well today when he came in with Tassie being 5/15.

They could pretty much make a super team out of Tasmania and Queensland. This final has been really goddamn good.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

iajanus posted:

I feel there's a set up in here about several current Australian players that I'm too tired to expand on.

She probably does her homework.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

So we're sacking four of the five selectors, including the chairman and Michael Clarke.

The Roar posted:

Australia’s disastrous tour of India is set to claim high-ranking casualties, with a ruthless clean-out of the National Selection Panel imminent.

While no public announcement has been made, The Roar’s exclusive investigation can reveal that four of the current five selectors are on the way out.

Chairman John Inverarity and selector Andy Bichel are set to lose their jobs, while national coach Mickey Arthur and captain Michael Clarke will be demoted as the panel again becomes a three-man operation.

Former Test wicketkeeper Rod Marsh will be alone in keeping his position, though no announcement was planned for another month, to let the Indian dust settle.

In a shock move, veteran cricket manager, journalist, and former Roar columnist David Lord has been privately offered the top job by Cricket Australia chief James Sutherland.

A virulent critic of Inverarity’s selection regime, Lord’s campaign has in the end borne more spectacular fruit than he could ever have hoped.

In a series of increasingly cantankerous columns over the summer, Lord also slammed modern fitness and conditioning regimens. If his call to return to the simple methods of an earlier generation are heeded, Australia’s cricketers could find themselves lifting more slabs than weights.

“At the end of a day’s play there was no warm-down, straight into the shed and into the beers. Once they ran out, it was shower and paint the town red,” wrote Lord recently of fast bowlers like Dennis Lillee and Ray Lindwall.

“Their spare time wasn’t for the gym, it was to relax over a few beers. More accurately, a good few beers.”

These priorities are reflected in his preferences for colleagues on the NSP. In his correspondence with Sutherland, Lord advocated candidates including former all-rounder Andrew Symonds and pace icon Jeff Thomson, as well as lamenting that former prime minister Bob Hawke and Carlton spearhead Brendan Fevola did not have more of a cricketing background.

This is gonna be good.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Wait, what loving day was it today. I am such a goddamn idiot. Preserving the above post for posterity as I apparently can't edit it within the app.

:Eng099:

Coq au Nandos fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 2, 2013

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Do the Aussie posters rate Bailey? He's got a decent little record going.

He's part of the Tasmanian Tigers squad that should in fairness comprise the entire team, so yeah.

The Telegraph (UK) posted:

David Warner dropped by Australia after punching England's Joe Root following row over fake beard and wig

A prank over a fake beard appears to have been the trigger for David Warner's "unprovoked" assault on England batsman Joe Root in a Birmingham bar in the early hours of Sunday morning.

The Daily Telegraph understands Root was wearing a wig on his head and turned it round into a beard in the Walkabout bar on Broad Street in Birmingham. Warner pulled the beard off before punching Root on the chin.

Warner was then pulled away by his Australia team-mates and the small group of England players, believed to include Stuart Broad and Chris Woakes, immediately left the bar.

Warner now faces the real possibility of being sent home from the Ashes tour in disgrace as Cricket Australia contemplates what disciplinary action to take against the opening batsman.

Root, meanwhile, has been netting with the England players at the Oval this morning in preparation for Thursday's Champions Trophy match against Sri Lanka.

The ECB statemenet read: "Warner has admitted behaving inappropriately and has since apologised to the player involved who has accepted the apology. Following a full investigation the England team management has concluded that the England player was in no way responsible for nor retaliated to the attack."

David Warner is a less funny Warwick Todd.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

webmeister posted:

Cricket Australia has sacked Mickey Arthur :laugh:

No word on his replacement yet, but apparently Darren Lehmann is the most likely candidate?

Hahahaha we are so hosed.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

-Spiffy- posted:

Sorry explain why this matters because as far as I'm concerned the Aus cricket coach does nothing.

Unless they hire a strict babysitter for Clarke, nothing will change.

Clarke has just resigned as a selector.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

glasnost toyboy posted:

They had them in the big bash this year.

It actually wasn't the worst thing in the world, though I'm pretty sure a solid gust of Hobart wind made one flash while it was still on top of the stumps during one of the Hurricanes matches.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

BlackShadow posted:

Fawad Ahmed is the immigrant. Agar was born in Perth I believe.

Still an immigrant, then.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

A Good Start. :frogout:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I appreciate Cricinfo's notifications, especially when Australian bowlers are taking English wickets and it tells me.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

boss key posted:

Went to bed at tea, woke up to headline "Siddle confident Australia can take first innings lead". I presumed it meant that England's tail had wagged big until I read on.

You've seen your share of Australian batting collapses, I don't understand how that wasn't your first assumption.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

God loving drat it, where the gently caress is Tim Paine, what the gently caress is this bullshit

EDI: gently caress

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Maybe I don't think he's an especially great keeper

Maybe you're dumb.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

gently caress, we're done I reckon.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

He's Australia's greatest cricketer for a reason. Truly a double threat.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Agar/Hughes please become Clarke/Hussey from last summer.

• Locked thread